3 Body Problem

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I have not read the books but I think this guy does a good job of explaining the dark forest theory and makes it scary. Watched all his videos about 3 body problem after the talk in this thread and now really looking forward to this show.
Alien civilizations shooting first and asking questions never due to the different potential curves of scientific advancement isn't a new concept by any means, from Saberhagen's Berserkers, to Greg Bear's Forge of God / Anvil of Stars, to Gregory Benford's Galactic Center Series, which despite its weird 70s era roots seems like the better version of Three Body.

If anything, the Dark Forest concept struck me more as Cixin Liu creating an opponent that had infinite counter-intelligence, then writing himself out of the hole by creating a third party to threaten everyone.

spronk

FPS noob
So an animated version of this show has started in China, first 2 episodes are out with I assume chinese language / subs. This is different from the Netflix live action version which is being run by D&D of Game of Thrones infamy, is due out next year, and is a massive production on the scale of Game of Thrones

Not sure if you can watch it without pirating, its up on most pirate sites and I was planning on watching out of curiosity

animation is a bit weird sometimes its decent and sometimes its PS2 Shrek the game

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alien civilizations shooting first and asking questions never due to the different potential curves of scientific advancement isn't a new concept by any means, from Saberhagen's Berserkers, to Greg Bear's Forge of God / Anvil of Stars, to Gregory Benford's Galactic Center Series, which despite its weird 70s era roots seems like the better version of Three Body.

If anything, the Dark Forest concept struck me more as Cixin Liu creating an opponent that had infinite counter-intelligence, then writing himself out of the hole by creating a third party to threaten everyone.
The "Dark Forest" thing makes the reading great, but if you think about it for a minute it's all about having better intelligence, which doesn't translate good because our Earth society nowadays is more about going Mars Attacks and welcoming aliens with flower necklaces than going preemptive and nuking them from oblivion. I mean you're not really a danger when you're stuck on your own planet and can't move elsewhere.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The "Dark Forest" thing makes the reading great, but if you think about it for a minute it's all about having better intelligence, which doesn't translate good because our Earth society nowadays is more about going Mars Attacks and welcoming aliens with flower necklaces than going preemptive and nuking them from oblivion. I mean you're not really a danger when you're stuck on your own planet and can't move elsewhere.
That's kind of the whole point of the Dark Forest though. No one knows what anyone else is capable of, much less what they will be capable of. Even if they somehow knew you were locked up on your own planet right now, by the time someone could get to you, you could have had massive technological leaps and be a threat. If someone could see what we were like in 1920 and compare it to 2020 (technology-wise, not dumbshit-wise), they could possibly be legitimately terrified of what we might look like in another hundred or more years. Thus, they shoot first because they can't take the risk that you surpass them someday and annihilate them instead.

nu_11

I have not read the books but I think this guy does a good job of explaining the dark forest theory and makes it scary. Watched all his videos about 3 body problem after the talk in this thread and now really looking forward to this show.

I just tried listening to this guy's summary of the trilogy, but he does a poor job. More importantly, the story just sounds retarded. Physics isnt real? Space is a jungle? The universe will end up 1-dimensional? Impending space invadors will cause people to accelerate climate change into a barren earth? I cant roll my eyes hard enough at this mental masturbation

Cybsled

The Dark Forest Hypothesis always struck me as unlikely. Unless the resources to launch a preemptive strike against another alien world was too prohibitive, then by that logic, wouldn't it just make sense to destroy ANY planet that shows signs of alien life at even some moderate level of technology? I would think that any alien civilization that was developed enough to actually leave their own solar system to exploit additional resources, and actually had a program in place to essentially destroy potential future rivals, would also have the technology to identify exo-planets of note remotely through a large variety of methods. You wouldn't need a radio broadcast, you could literally just examine the spectrum of chemicals in an atmosphere and look for certain telltale signs.

spronk

FPS noob
The Dark Forest Hypothesis always struck me as unlikely. Unless the resources to launch a preemptive strike against another alien world was too prohibitive, then by that logic, wouldn't it just make sense to destroy ANY planet that shows signs of alien life at even some moderate level of technology? I would think that any alien civilization that was developed enough to actually leave their own solar system to exploit additional resources, and actually had a program in place to essentially destroy potential future rivals, would also have the technology to identify exo-planets of note remotely through a large variety of methods. You wouldn't need a radio broadcast, you could literally just examine the spectrum of chemicals in an atmosphere and look for certain telltale signs.

easy to hand wave that away as trillions of planets are out there with microbe life that never evolve any further, and there would be no way to distinguish between a planet that has bacteria level life that never evolves further but still has chemical traces of life from remote telescope atmosphere readings, and planets that have actual technology.

The books make a fundamental assumption that FTL is impossible and light speed is still the limiting factor, so you are still talking hundreds of thousands of years to observe distant planets in your own galaxy.

Then there is the problem of dark energy/matter and the expansion of the universe, stars and galaxies are actually accelerating further away from each other faster than the speed of light and its getting faster every second in the past 5 billion years and nobody really understands why other than inventing something called dark energy to explain why something we can't detect or identify is stronger than gravity. The circle of stuff we can observe is actually shrinking all the time and there are things (outside our galaxy) that is literally vanishing from our observerable bubble every second.

Caliane

via that guys summery, thats what any advanced society does do. The entire point of the stalemate is, back off, or we will make your home planet known to the greater universe.
Survival is based on not being noticed at all. Any blip for any reason is met with destruction. The test on the "unpopulated" world demonstrated this. And the universe is big enough, its easy to go unnoticed.
there is lots of discussion on this, with SETI, etc. The Earth already fucked up. Broadcasting our location in an infinitely spreading radio message was stupid and naive.

the stalemate existed.. briefly, between two middle/small fish. both didn't want to be noticed by the sharks.

My issue with that stalemate, via that guys summery is the obvious small fish strategy. expand, and out populate is the only viable option. A small fish simply can not survive on a single homeworld. A single homeworld is obviously fucked in intersellar war. unless some just magic unthinkable defensive tool is discovered. But, conversely, if you have speed of, or faster then speed of light travel. that system of travel itself can be weaponized to annihilate a planet or star.

Communication does help with the dark forest idea.. however, really what advantage is there to being nice? killing the alien life, and taking their tech, resources is infinitely superior.
we have plenty of colonization examples on Earth. Being NICE, destroyed rome, British empire, is destroying the US currently. Vilified for it even. While Ghengis khan just kicked ass and took names. dead people didn't complain generations later.

The second flaw with the thought process as described is destruction of the universe, resources. the universe IS big. but resources are not infinite. destroying a planet or system that can support life is kindof a dumb idea unless absolutely necessary. unless you have the means to terraform, or prevent/reclaim entropy.

Cybsled

There is a difference between being nice and being practical. Using your small fish example, it isn’t in the interest of the small fish to murder other small fish of a different species if there are bigger fish that are a risk to both. Becoming allies is a better long term strategy, because it increases your individual odds of survival: force multiplier and you remove a potential enemy by making them your friend. However, allies works best when there is some level of compatibility in culture, or goals, or governments, because it reduces the probability of getting backstabbed or being worked against

AKA pick your friends carefully

Goatface

thread hijack of sorts
apparently there is a 30 part series running now on tencent video (pay service) with english subtitles called Three-Body. can watch 1-4 for free on youtube with chinese ads.

if on the high seas, 1-9 are out. i have not watched any of it yet

spronk

FPS noob
jesus christ its THIRTY parts? each episode is also 40-45 mins, but its mostly 2 people just talking to each other.

its crazy in 2023 we are getting a ? part animated series, a 30 episode (lol) live chinese series, AND later this year netflix is gonna release a live action show from the guys who showran Game of Thrones and have been working on the IP for 3 years now. Thats way too much Three Body Problem

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
As a reader of this series, and not liking it much, I can only hope that Lizzo is chosen as the dream wife for Luo Ji.

Goatface

teaser trailer came out in june, release date is jan 2024 now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
Actual trailer for this finally dropped. Release date for season 1 March 21st, and as it is Netflix it will be the entire season

I've not read the book, but the trailer looks okay I guess? I guess I dont really see what the plot is? VR and Aliens or not? I dunno

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The books make a fundamental assumption that FTL is impossible and light speed is still the limiting factor, so you are still talking hundreds of thousands of years to observe distant planets in your own galaxy.
If FTL was possible, wouldn't we already been found? Both interesting and terrifying question.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Actual trailer for this finally dropped. Release date for season 1 March 21st, and as it is Netflix it will be the entire season

I've not read the book, but the trailer looks okay I guess? I guess I dont really see what the plot is? VR and Aliens or not? I dunno
Isn't this show already on Amazon? I swear I watched an episode the other day. Looking at it now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Those books were batshit insane so I am sure this will be too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users