3 Body Problem

Grez

Molten Core Raider
The "Dark Forest" thing makes the reading great, but if you think about it for a minute it's all about having better intelligence, which doesn't translate good because our Earth society nowadays is more about going Mars Attacks and welcoming aliens with flower necklaces than going preemptive and nuking them from oblivion. I mean you're not really a danger when you're stuck on your own planet and can't move elsewhere.
The USSR was run by a bunch of intelligent technocrats; how'd that work out for them? Intelligence isn't everything. At the end of the series, it was indicated that civilizations that communicated (cooperated) with others were the most dangerous. And it was indicated that this "hide well, cleanse well" civilization had its own existential problems stemming from a colony world. I guess when your motto is basically "exterimate the other," it's only a matter of time until one's own colony worlds are the other.

IMO the solution to the dark forest problem is to spread the fuck out across as many star systems as you can, cooperate with those you can, and accept that you're gonna lose star systems. Retaliate against those who attack you, but don't initiate.

Last edited:

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I predict that we'll know by the end of the cultural revolution arc if this is going to be any good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I predict that we'll know by the end of the cultural revolution arc if this is going to be any good.

Yeah, I'm most interested to see how they portray that. It was a major point in the book, at least the 1st one if I remember correctly, with the struggle session, humiliation, and deplatforming.

spronk

FPS noob
looks fucking awesome, i'll be in 100% day one

it definitely looks like they are not holding back like the books and going all in on the WHAT THE FUCK from the start

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
china tv ver is streaming on viki for free

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't know anything about this show or book, but since the same author did the Dark Forest, here is a recent Space Time episode going over it:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I have no concept how Netflix could possibly do these books justice in a series, but I am willing to give them a chance. I suspect I will be disappointed quickly, but I will TRY to stay objective.

The books weren't the most entertaining I have ever read, but I will say they were probably the most educational fiction books I ever read. The theories are way too convoluted for the average mouth breather, so I am frightened by the fluff content added to keep attention spans on point.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I don't know anything about this show or book, but since the same author did the Dark Forest, here is a recent Space Time episode going over it:

It was part of the whole series. Understanding the Dark Forest theory, is, essentially, how the humans fought back - trying to be vague and non spoilery here.

There was a TON of shit on dimensional theory, I wonder how the show is going to handle all that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I dunno, I thought the first episode was kind of boring. It had it's moments, but I was struggling to stay interested.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Heavy exposition and physics is literal magic to most people even today. Theoretical physics is so far beyond magic it actually seems dumb.

The scene with the nanofibers cutting a synthetic diamond will not hit, at all, with the large majority of viewers. It will seem like cutting through cotton with a pair of scissors. Who cares?

Pretty sure that's how this show will go.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
family guy smoking GIF

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The weird "messenger" chick that looks like The Faceless Man annoys me. Don't know if it's the character, or the acting, or the fact that she looks like a man from GoT, but she annoys me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I read the first book a few months ago. What parts of the book(s) does season 1 of the show cover? I'm not sure if I want to be spoiled on it or not. Not sure if I'll read the next books.

I'd be interested in an anime of the VR game or whatever, the outside of the VR game story wasn't as interesting to me.

Juvarisx

Florida
This book series has been a weird thing for me as I love Sci-Fi but I never read the books, or even really knew what the story was about. Wife and I watched three episodes so far, its been okay kinda confusing at times and GoT Sam is fucked as thats all I see him as now.

The reply the Chinese girl got from the transmission was A+ though, they played that just right and hit the right subtle music beats. That response would be fucking terrifying in the real world to get.

• 1Like