38 studios Auction Nov 14th and 15th.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
ssGZ_700.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We were also planning on going completely FTP. No box sale, no sub and we didn't want to rip people off in the store. We had a heavy focus on making the game fun and offering stuff in the store where people would want to purchase and not feel like it was pay to win etc. Again, I don't know if it would have worked BUT in my experience, I think the approach to a a highly polished MMO being F2P and not nickle and dimeing everyone would have been enough to make KoA work.
Rofl, this shit was how many millions in the hole and it was going to be FTP without nickel and dimeing? How the fuck exactly was it ever going to break even, and its still RI's fault? Get bent. You were too deep in to see the forest for the trees. You ex-38 people have some serious Stockholm syndrome shit going on.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's weird. The more I hear from former employees, the more I think that there is a crazy Cult of Curt that makes the Pantheon Cult of Brad seem sane and rational. While the final nails in the coffin of 38 Studios may have been politically driven, they were just putting a stop to an endeavor that wasn't going anywhere.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I wonder what became of Graves from FoH. I believe he got a job at 38 and moved there from out of state. He was one of the best posters on FoH and sadly (but understandably) posted less and less once employed by 38.

Did he make the transition over here to Rerolled?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wonder what became of Graves from FoH. I believe he got a job at 38 and moved there from out of state. He was one of the best posters on FoH and sadly (but understandably) posted less and less once employed by 38.

Did he make the transition over here to Rerolled?
He's the first post of this page if you're at max posts per page.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Oh damn, good catch. Well it sounds like he is doing well, hope he starts posting more.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's weird. The more I hear from former employees, the more I think that there is a crazy Cult of Curt that makes the Pantheon Cult of Brad seem sane and rational. While the final nails in the coffin of 38 Studios may have been politically driven, they were just putting a stop to an endeavor that wasn't going anywhere.
I just think it's extremely ironic that Schilling blames "politics" for his tax credit scheme falling apart, when it was politics that even made it possible in the first place, and that's saying nothing of the 75 million or however much money he had previously gotten from the state. Were it not for politics in the first place, the company would have gone out of business years prior when it burned through the last of his cash.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
At least 38 studios put out a playable (if flawed) game with the intent on more. The Pantheon shit is a whole other league of fuckery.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
At least 38 studios put out a playable (if flawed) game with the intent on more. The Pantheon shit is a whole other league of fuckery.
Keep scale in mind though. One is something like a $140,000 fuck up. The other is a $60,000,000-90,000,000 fuck up, depending on what the true figure spent was.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except, as we just read on this page, that was BHG's game. Nothing ever actually got produced by 38S.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
KoA would have been a pretty good game if not for the quest bloat. Sidequests are supposed to be interesting tangents to the main quest, not filler so you can put "Over 2000 quests!" on the box.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Reckoning got carried away with it, but the core game was solid and a sequel could've been great. For a first swing, I think BHG did a solid job.

One of the bigger issues was how easy it was even on hard. By the halfway mark you were unstoppable and even the biggest bosses were bitches.

Yeah I never did many side quests and really enjoyed Reckoning. Got about ~20 hours out of it to finish the main story line, which is about the same as I put into Skyrim doing just the main quest line as well. Bought an Xbox copy for my brother and he loved it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Elder scrolls games are all side quests too but they generally aren't bland like the reckoning ones are. I couldn't play reckoning despite the interesting combat system, purely because of how boring the quest mechanics were.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Elder scrolls games are all side quests too but they generally aren't bland like the reckoning ones are. I couldn't play reckoning despite the interesting combat system, purely because of how boring the quest mechanics were.
Amalur was a bit more themeparky

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I still think Curt Schilling is full of shit, but regardless of that, I am very happy he is kicking cancer's ass. Regardless of our differences, I wish him all the best on that 5 year clock. Way to go Schill, and keep up that good fight.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't think Schilling was full of shit, but more like a Pie In The Sky dreamer who almost pulled it off but ran out of gas and funds before it was ever realized. Which I guess is exactly the definition of Pie in the sky.

I do think the game might have been pretty good but I have no idea how he was ever going to see a return on that massive investment going F2P.

Also gratz Curt, I'm glad you're doing well.