38 Studios

The art assets aren't worthless. 38 Studios was using Unreal 3 for its rendering client, and Morphine for its animation. All those assets are also fully supported in 3ds, maya, etc. That's about as industry-standard as you get. Additionally, when BHG was being considered for purchase, 38 Studios sent them a whole bunch of their MMO art assets and were asked to integrate them in their proprietary engine to see if they could and they did so in less than a day.

The hardest challenge with the art assets for any potential studio purchasing them is making sure the artists themselves have a feel and understanding for the overall art-direction and are able to produce content artistically consistent with the existing content. McFarlane has already stated his interest in seeing the MMO finished and is willing to work with whoever buys it. Same with Salvatore, actually.

Now the code itself is much more of a challenge and most likely not worth the time, effort and money spent to pick up where they left off. It has and can be done, depending on many factors, but if the purchaser does try to finish the MMO and not just concentrate on reckoning, then they'll likely have their own ideas for the server tech.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's not like you can break it apart like you would a car and use bits and pieces to build a new car. Unfortunately, most things in software are custom built and don't really play well when moved over to other projects.
Not to nitpick here but... you absolutely can do this. It's one of the fundamental principles of Object-Oriented, platform independent programming languages. I'm not going to pretend I know a ton about what programming languages game designers use but you are dead wrong about most things in software not playing well when moved over to other objects. In fact, most software is written with modularity in mind so you can do precisely that. Well, good software at any rate.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Not to nitpick here but... you absolutely can do this. It's one of the fundamental principles of Object-Oriented, platform independent programming languages. I'm not going to pretend I know a ton about what programming languages game designers use but you are dead wrong about most things in software not playing well when moved over to other objects. In fact, most software is written with modularity in mind so you can do precisely that. Well, good software at any rate.
Not sure how much you've worked with Unreal 3, but you most certainly cannot take something you've scripted in UnrealScript and import it to another engine. It's incredibly annoying. There are workarounds to get the objects behaving the way you would expect in other object-oriented languages, but they're unintuitive and frustrating.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well I figured that there were other nuances that might make it tedious (obviously switching engines would be a major one), I was just pointing out that in software, in general, you strive for that kind of re-usable code and programming languages are typically created with that in mind and give you all kinds of tools to make it work (I have no background in game development and don't know much about what languages are used at the AAA level, but I would be surprised if they weren't OO)

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The point remains: someone isn't going to pay millions of dollars to buy a half finished MMO, then tens of millions to finish it. If they have that kind of coin, they're going to start from scratch anyways. It's not like the game can be finished and released by a handful of people in a year or something. It will take a very large investment to complete the game. The name is worth a bit given that the first game did okay, but even though I know sweet fuck all about programming, it just makes zero sense for anyone to try to complete Amalur the MMO.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Utnayan and Angry Amadeus should buy it with all that NFL and record executive money.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
We need to kickstarter it.
Call it the " piss off bloody sock" project.
Would easily get cash from folks in NY who hate the red sox.

I remember reading a story about some new ager guy in NY who actually did win the Powerball and said he wanted to start a game studio and make an MMO.

Anyway, its clear that 38 Studios had a pretty great art and animation team. Even Schilling himself admitted the game looked phenomenal but was a bore to play. It'll be very interesting to see who picks this up (prolly EA).

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Can't believe he's still blaming the governor. Ok, actually I can but it seems even more ridiculous after so much time has passed. I'm a small government republican but THE GOVERNMENT ONLY GAVE ME $75 MILLION, I NEED MORE.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
It's not worth having a heart attack over, a visitor tells him.

"Uh, I already did, actually," says Schilling. "Yeah, I did, a couple of years ago. Nobody knows that, actually."

A mild one?

"It was a decent one," he says. "It's not something . . ."
It's a wonder his failed WoW clone didn't kill him

spronk

FPS noob
dude needs to lose some weight, he and smed and kotick should go on a diet together or maybe they could go on the biggest loser (HAHAHA)

he literally looks like he's ready for an ass raping here

curt-big.jpg

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wow, it's been a year and a half already? Good luck with that sale... they'll be lucky to cover the cost of the marketing/auction itself. Might have had a chance to get some money back if they'd moved quickly.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Wow, it's been a year and a half already? Good luck with that sale... they'll be lucky to cover the cost of the marketing/auction itself. Might have had a chance to get some money back if they'd moved quickly.
Agreed. Non-1st tier IPs and half finished software are worth very little, especially the unfinished software part.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
But couldn't you take all the models / zones and toss them into 3dMax or something and use them on whatever game you want? Sure the art direction might be different but if its close (think EQN without the voxels) or use it as a jumping off point for whatever game you want to make.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Does stuff like this have any value at all? I would imagine the time and money involved to turn art assets and code into something even playable isn't much less than just starting from scratch.