38 Studios

Marketing for Reckoning was great, stabbing skeletons aside. There were ads everywhere, lots of interviews, and EA threw their weight behind it as well with the whole Mass Effect tie-in. It was Copernicus for which the marketing department literally did not even exist.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Weird Earth thing aside, I still can't help but like (visually) what very little was seen of Amalur. I like the single player game quite a bit and the world of Copernicus looked huge and had a nice art style. Admittedly, the tiny bit of gameplay that was seen looked like the same old shit so it might have been a one month and done thing for me but who knows how deep or shallow the experience would have been in the end.

Amalur combined with the BHG set of licenses makes a nice little package to be bought here at a price far lower than their potential worth -- hopefully a decent publisher gets in on the action. The whole THQ debacle was a mixed bag of terrible publishers ending up with decent IP to work with (Nordic Games got a really nice set of licenses).

I don't think the IP can or will be split between the MMO and the Single player RPG. It would cause too much headache for any two parties wanting to develop them seperately. Who own the IP then? All of Amalur I think will be sold together. The only difference is I don't see too many parties willing to finish the MMO, so whoever buys the IP is likely to only develop Reckoning 2 and simply can the MMO assets.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
It is kind of sickening the amount of work and thought that went into this project and it all came to naught. Regardless of what you think about Curt or the game, lots of people poured out their soul into this thing and he had a great many motivated employees.

All thrown away for nothing.
Well i was pretty pissed really, the MMO spin off was the game i was most interested in honestly.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
250k tops for everything, its pretty much worthless at this point
No way. I'm sure they are setting a floor such that they aren'tlosingmoney by auctioning the assets. 250k [probably] wouldn't even cover the salary/fees of all the people associated with the auction.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
No way. I'm sure they are setting a floor such that they aren'tlosingmoney by auctioning the assets. 250k [probably] wouldn't even cover the salary/fees of all the people associated with the auction.
Mid-Low tier IPs and half finished games are generally worth almost nothing, I'd say even 250k is generous. If they set the floor above what someone is willing to pay then they won't sell it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They had an option for people to submit their name for the auction and sign an NDA.

I thought about trying to get into it with some fake letterhead just to see what the breakdown was but without being able to share it the effort wouldn't have been worth it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Microsoft bought Rise of Nations IP, which 38 owned. They've got a couple of re-released planned for June. E3 is around the corner, maybe they got a BOGO deal and picked up Amalur.