38 Studios

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
look up the definition of the word except, and you'll understand what i said. if i say "i had millions of dollars and spent it all and now i have nothing to show for it except for the memories," then see the word except is excluding something from the nothing i am referring to. it takes about a first grade reading comprehension to understand so i'm not sure how far you went in your education.

From an outside perspective it looked like they didn't really know how to build and run a development studio, much less a gaming studio.

First off they had overpaid worthless execs; and the ones that did know what they were doing were forced out or saw the writing on the wall such as Brett Close.

Second problem, according to several of the post-mortem write-ups, was a bloated and top-heavy middle management that had leadership and organizational problems, not to mention Curt occasionally just stopping by and overriding orders at a whim. They had no one that could actually run a development studio and ship a product; and the guy they finally DID bring in who could actually do this job, that John Blakely fellow form Zynga, was hired something like two or three months before the collapse.

Third, and this is just from my perspective watching over the 38 Studios job listings every now and then - I remember seeing open listings for what seemed to me like fundamental positions really late in development. Stuff like engine architects, senior world builders, and network engineers were all still open while tons of "concept artists" and "animation assistants" were always filled quickly.

By all accounts it really looked like the art and assets team in 38 was pretty solid and talented, but that alone won't build you a functional mmo.

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I always thought you lived and died by you engine guys and network guys. As people that can draw all sorts of manifestions of cocks are dime a dozen..but network dudes are few and far between

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Curt Schilling is on my base today for a USO tour (with Peyton Manning and some other fools). I keep telling people to go punch him in the face.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Curt Schilling is on my base today for a USO tour (with Peyton Manning and some other fools). I keep telling people to go punch him in the face.
Ask Schitling what shitty game he's playing now so I know what to avoid. Tell Peyton I love him.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
From an outside perspective it looked like they didn't really know how to build and run a development studio, much less a gaming studio.

First off they had overpaid worthless execs; and the ones that did know what they were doing were forced out or saw the writing on the wall such as Brett Close.

Second problem, according to several of the post-mortem write-ups, was a bloated and top-heavy middle management that had leadership and organizational problems, not to mention Curt occasionally just stopping by and overriding orders at a whim. They had no one that could actually run a development studio and ship a product; and the guy they finally DID bring in who could actually do this job, that John Blakely fellow form Zynga, was hired something like two or three months before the collapse.

Third, and this is just from my perspective watching over the 38 Studios job listings every now and then - I remember seeing open listings for what seemed to me like fundamental positions really late in development. Stuff like engine architects, senior world builders, and network engineers were all still open while tons of "concept artists" and "animation assistants" were always filled quickly.

By all accounts it really looked like the art and assets team in 38 was pretty solid and talented, but that alone won't build you a functional mmo.
this game would have failed no matter what, because from all the vids i've seen, it was an exact fucking clone of WoW.

THIS GAME WOULD HAVE BEEN THE HIGHEST PINNACLE OF VIDEO GAME EXCELLENCE EVER REACHED. SCHILLING AND SALVATORE ARE VISIONARY GENIUSES WHO ARE NOT APPRECIATED IN THEIR LIFETIMES. HISTORY WILL LOOK BACK AT THEIR ATTEMPT TO GRACE HUMANITY WITH THIS GIFT OF UNPRECEDENTED ARTISTIC ACCOMPLISHMENT AND WEEP FOR WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN!!!

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why is this mess even still being discussed? What is there left to talk about? There cannot possibly be anywhere else on the internet where people outside of RI could possibly give a shit less about this failure.

DEAR MODS, I WILL PAY YOU TO let me hide threads.

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
My brother found this gem trash-picking at game stop the other day. Unopened and seems to be a 300 or so page hardcover guide to the game? Does anyone else have this? haha

3u03X44.jpg

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The art stuff, especially the statues, could really be worth some money. They'll probably even appreciate if kept in good condition, especially when McFarlane kicks the bucket. He is a popular artist.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The art stuff, especially the statues, could really be worth some money. They'll probably even appreciate if kept in good condition, especially when McFarlane kicks the bucket. He is a popular artist.
Yeah I would agree here. In a while, since the studio tanked, it might be worth some cash in about 20 years.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
fucking lol
The filing says the economic agency's board "well knew" the amount 38 Studios was getting wouldn't be nearly enough to fully finance the game. The resolution approved by the board says the estimated cost of the game's production is "in excess of $125 million."
125+ million dollars and not even a finished fucking product lol. Just how fucking stupid is Curt?

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Does anyone know what happened to Grave from FoH(The MtG Jace Avitar)? Did he find another job in the industry or is he now living out of his mothers basement?

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
I remember him talking about finding another job. He didn't say where or much else, just that he did find something after 38.