3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
For you guys making masks, I had an idea for putting witty slogans on them and selling them, like "99.7% survival rate" or just "99.7%" and let people ask you what it means.

You could also sell masks with logos for any company that pays you, just send an email to a hundred big corps and I bet a few would reply ready to write a check, even if nobody buys them just having them show up in Amazon search results would be all the advertising they'd need.
I tried a lot of different things with masks. Different designs, different materials, multiple materials in one mask, different sized openings, etc. They all suck. I find none of them seal right, regardless of molding it or different types of materials used to create a seal. And it just generally sucks having a rigid thing pressed against your face. Or so I hear...

If I was better, I had an idea for taking something like the Montana Mask and trying to print a gasket, only point of comparison I had was some OBA's in the Navy had a thicker, rubber-material gasket on the facemask, you see that on pics of other types as well. Without something like that, they just suck. But actually on topic, your plan would only work if you plan to make your own mask design I think, all those open source ones are being released under creative commons or whatever else licensing and open source nerds love to freak out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You guys printing masks should diversify and offer ABS tampons and buttplugs, too.

This count?

DE2771E8-FE61-4C6F-A148-D02E97FB2FEF.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally started printing with NylonX, this shit is rugged. Getting some strange print issues I'm trying to figure out and the biggest problem I've found when troubleshooting is finding the proper terminology for what is happening. I can troubleshooting mechanical issues all day but attempting to find a list of terminology with images is crazy hard to find. You would think there would be a single site devoted to this.

Oldbased

> Than U

Monoprice is running its sales again. They do this like twice a year.
1597575699345.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Picked up an Ender 5 Pro in July... Took a week to get it tuned in but loving it now. FIrst combo project between it and my Photon resin printer..

1597674560027.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fertility idol from Raiders. I printed in gold leaf filament. Don't even need to do any finish work, looks fine straight off the bed.

idol.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hekotat

I updated cura and now my printer will not print centered on the bed, even rolling back did fuck all.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Man 10 years ago 3D printers were going to change the world and after all this time no one has really found a use for them except making prototypes and crappy plastic toys for 100x the price of one you could just buy on the internet.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

Man 10 years ago 3D printers were going to change the world and after all this time no one has really found a use for them except making prototypes and crappy plastic toys for 100x the price of one you could just buy on the internet.

IDK about that, we buy a lot of high quality parts we use on our machines from 3D printers using Nylon and Carbon Fiber.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
IDK about that, we buy a lot of high quality parts we use on our machines from 3D printers using Nylon and Carbon Fiber.

I'm glad to hear that. What kind of machines? I'm just disappointed because they talked like these would be in every home and now that they're fairly affordable I can't think of a single reason to buy one given that I'm not in need of a regular supply of homemade dice or plastic toys that look worse than ones that cost $5 at walmart.

Hekotat

I'm glad to hear that. What kind of machines? I'm just disappointed because they talked like these would be in every home and now that they're fairly affordable I can't think of a single reason to buy one given that I'm not in need of a regular supply of homemade dice or plastic toys that look worse than ones that cost $5 at walmart.

CNC machines. You start printing Carbon Fiber or Nylon and you can make some nice shit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

They’re still getting cheaper and faster but they’re not going to change the world in any drastic way. They will just make advances in various fields.

They could change how we get replacement parts on appliances and things.

They’re starting to transform construction. I’ve seen them 3D printing cheap housing in third world countries, it could help with homeless people in first world countries if people cared enough and applied it. I’ve also seen some videos on 3D printing foundations that are earthquake proof.

I’ve seen some prototype insanely fast prints that could have some useful applications. Like you can get your teeth scanned and within seconds could have a replacement printed.

I’ve seen some medical advancements like custom light weight casts that look like webbing so you can still itch your skin, shower like normal, etc. There’s also a pretty cool program where hobbyists are 3D printing prosthetic hands for kids and donating them.

For me personally, I’ve been 3D printing prototypes for work from my hobby room at home. I don’t have to work with a vendor on test and design. I just design it, print it, try it the next day, modify it and print it again. We’ve also been printing replacement custom parts at work for a very small fraction of what vendors would charge us.

Not world changing, but they certainly are advancing things by speeding up development cycles and cratering costs and it’s still a relatively new technology.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finished the painting and the weathering on my 3d printed Mando armor today. My wife is sewing the suit and cape and it looks like it will actually be done in time for Halloween.

mando armor.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I use mine to produce both 28mm miniatures for gaming (the Resin printer) and 28mm terrain/buildings/etc. Both of which are considerably cheaper than buying commercial equivalents (if you could find them), and that's even after that fact that unlike many I actually pay artists for good models to print.

Also, I print a lot of things like custom brackets for stuff I build, printed a whole system to mount my rechargable tools to the garage wall which I couldn't find a good commercial equivalent to. There are uses. Now, they aren't replicators from Star Trek.

I think the next huge hurdle will be when/if effective, stable, printing of metal parts is feasible. Then it changes a lot of games. (Including utterly destroying certain laws about weapons)

Hekotat

Looking at picking up a large format 3D printer, this seems to be the best option I can find with all the features I'm looking for with a reasonable price. I'd love to spend some big money on a Modix Big 60 but jesus that's a lot of money.

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
If you want to build yourself, Voron 2.4 is the tits. The website has the files, their Discord is where it's at though.

• 1Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

If you want to build yourself, Voron 2.4 is the tits. The website has the files, their Discord is where it's at though.

I've been looking for something like this, thank you.

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I've been lurking in their channel for months. It's a seriously impressive machine. The overall speed, accuracy, and reliability is crazy imo. Building one is on my radar as soon as life stops throwing curveballs at my wallet.

Look at the pif program for high quality abs prints. The queue is pretty short atm.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've been lurking in their channel for months. It's a seriously impressive machine. The overall speed, accuracy, and reliability is crazy imo. Building one is on my radar as soon as life stops throwing curveballs at my wallet.

Look at the pif program for high quality abs prints. The queue is pretty short atm.
Is that all free? Like I can just print my own second 3D printer?

• 1Mother of God