3d Printing and the Future of Piracy

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Got most of the stringing resolved, atleast good enough for an internal non-show piece. I'll have to keep tuning to do the final external plates. I still have to print some internal pieces and do some test fitting. However, it's starting to come together.

ApplicationFrameHost_m02ZMyFwH1.jpg

ApplicationFrameHost_efV3rlS127.png

ApplicationFrameHost_b6pZrhoPti.jpg

ApplicationFrameHost_ZNI8b9z7Id.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Posted in the mini thread but might as well post a picture here as well of 2 days of printing. Wings not attached to the big one.

20220105_193009.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hekotat

Posted in the mini thread but might as well post a picture here as well of 2 days of printing. Wings not attached to the big one.

View attachment 391239

Those resin printers are amazing for figurines. I hope they get that technology on par with carbon fiber for high end build parts and I'll jump on board.

This new filament I have sucks dick. I hope the Overture comes back in stock because this shit is for the birds. I got the GPU riser mount printed and it came out looking better than the last print, no changes to any settings but better, I think it's the filament.

Working on the PSU bracket now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
eSun makes good enough cheap filament. iirc Overture is made on the same factory/machines as Hatchbox.

Two observations you may wish to look at Hekotat Hekotat in your slicer add another top layer. That will help reduce those pockets you see between the infill on large area top layers. It will add a noticeable but not terrible chunk of time to your prints but that top layer will look a lot better and be stronger, especially around through holes for screws and the like. I usually use 4 wall layers, 4 bottom layers, and either 4 or 6 top layers depending on how large of a flat surface the top layer is.

I'm also seeing some under extrusion. If you haven't yet, look into tuning your extrusion rate on the machine. It's usually a matter of marking on your filament something like 100mm, telling it to extrude 100mm, then verifying the measurement on the filament that 100mm and not 95mm was extruded. Do the math and input the new value. If that machine supports it, can also look into pressure advance/linear advance depending on which flavor of firmware that printer is based on. That can help a lot for compensating for under extrusion at the beginning and end of individual runs (the gaps you see where the top layer runs into the outer wall/edge of the part).

Hekotat

eSun makes good enough cheap filament. iirc Overture is made on the same factory/machines as Hatchbox.

Two observations you may wish to look at Hekotat Hekotat in your slicer add another top layer. That will help reduce those pockets you see between the infill on large area top layers. It will add a noticeable but not terrible chunk of time to your prints but that top layer will look a lot better and be stronger, especially around through holes for screws and the like. I usually use 4 wall layers, 4 bottom layers, and either 4 or 6 top layers depending on how large of a flat surface the top layer is.

I'm also seeing some under extrusion. If you haven't yet, look into tuning your extrusion rate on the machine. It's usually a matter of marking on your filament something like 100mm, telling it to extrude 100mm, then verifying the measurement on the filament that 100mm and not 95mm was extruded. Do the math and input the new value. If that machine supports it, can also look into pressure advance/linear advance depending on which flavor of firmware that printer is based on. That can help a lot for compensating for under extrusion at the beginning and end of individual runs (the gaps you see where the top layer runs into the outer wall/edge of the part).

I had to pickup SUNLU filament since everything else was out of stock.

I've updated the top layers to 2x. Still getting stringing on some prints and just bizarre issues with how it reacts. I run it straight out of a dryer box to reduce bubbling/moisture.

I've calibrated my extruder so no issues there. I'll check other settings you mentioned.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I had to pickup SUNLU filament since everything else was out of stock.

I've updated the top layers to 2x. Still getting stringing on some prints and just bizarre issues with how it reacts. I run it straight out of a dryer box to reduce bubbling/moisture.

I've calibrated my extruder so no issues there. I'll check other settings you mentioned.
Have you tried Prusament? Pricey but it’s really nice. Their diameter is always perfect. Not something I would use all the time due to price, but my buddy does. He has over 100 rolls of it, every filament color and material they make. I’d only use it on a project I wanted perfect, like your pc customization there.

Hekotat

Have you tried Prusament? Pricey but it’s really nice. Their diameter is always perfect. Not something I would use all the time due to price, but my buddy does. He has over 100 rolls of it, every filament color and material they make. I’d only use it on a project I wanted perfect, like your pc customization there.

The overture worked out great and was just sold out for a few months. I got some on order now, just waiting on delivery (ordered today).

I am going to look into the prusa slicer software as well

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The overture worked out great and was just sold out for a few months. I got some on order now, just waiting on delivery (ordered today).

I am going to look into the prusa slicer software as well
He likes their software better too. He said it’s more a matter of just getting used to it, not that he dislikes Cura, just Prusa does things differently and he likes it better. I haven’t spent the time to check it out yet but plan on it some day. I just haven’t printed much lately.

Hekotat

I downloaded SuperSlicer which is a fork of Prusa Slicer that is supposed to be better, but the settings, names and layout has me ultra confused. I'll have to mess with it more on the weekend.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Got a kinda cheapy anycubic max to play with, doing test print now. I think I shoulda used the auto leveler but wanted to try my hand at manually leveling the first go round to see how difficult it was. Excited to start printing shit for the kids (little toys, shops for their little villages etc). Any good links to sites with prints ready to upload to a stick? I guess that's all you do? Download a file, then upload into the printer? It came with a few dongles with pre-rendered prints to test so it's going through one now.

One thing that surprised me was the size of the machine itself. The printing surface isn't huge but the damned machine is pretty massive.

Hekotat

Got a kinda cheapy anycubic max to play with, doing test print now. I think I shoulda used the auto leveler but wanted to try my hand at manually leveling the first go round to see how difficult it was. Excited to start printing shit for the kids (little toys, shops for their little villages etc). Any good links to sites with prints ready to upload to a stick? I guess that's all you do? Download a file, then upload into the printer? It came with a few dongles with pre-rendered prints to test so it's going through one now.

One thing that surprised me was the size of the machine itself. The printing surface isn't huge but the damned machine is pretty massive.

Manual leveling can eat a bag of dicks.

yeah, the frames can be pretty big. You can check out Thingiverse or Grabcad, Thingiverse is mostly 3d printer ready, grabcad will require 3d modeling software to export with.

• 1Like

Hekotat

Looks like my Extruder worked it's way out of calibration which is odd, re-calibrated and running a calibration print now.

I dug my old video card out of storage and found a cheap ITX board for testing fitment purposes. Video card mounting is off a bit, which is fine since I needed to re-print most of the case with better quality and I forgot to add the power cable outlet to the backplate.

ygAWrgag9L.jpg

ApplicationFrameHost_jReANTx2nG.jpg

ApplicationFrameHost_58RChL0F8y.jpg

ApplicationFrameHost_jQvst86ZXV.jpg

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ignore the first 5-10 second of the video. If I had people to play D&D with I would definitely do this, it's so sick. Shit you could probably sell the fuck out of that stuff

• 2Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

Top bracket for the case came out really nice, but I got burned by the Fusion 360 bug again.

ApplicationFrameHost_FzogxuGMM6.jpg

ApplicationFrameHost_CKKbL3cK4V.png

Hekotat

Ignore the first 5-10 second of the video. If I had people to play D&D with I would definitely do this, it's so sick. Shit you could probably sell the fuck out of that stuff

I'm sure big companies are scrambling to make this.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure big companies are scrambling to make this.
There is at least one out there. I saw them talk about it on something, probably critical role. The stuff is absurdly fucking expensive though. Like you'd end up spending thousands. It has me tempted to get into playing with this stuff though. I click on this thread entirely too much

Hekotat

There is at least one out there. I saw them talk about it on something, probably critical role. The stuff is absurdly fucking expensive though. Like you'd end up spending thousands. It has me tempted to get into playing with this stuff though. I click on this thread entirely too much

Most of the time you can undercut them with quality products quite easily, however, being able to fill the demand from your garage without a workshop is the issue. If I had the room I'd start my own business doing that shit today. I'm tired of working for companies.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Most of the time you can undercut them with quality products quite easily, however, being able to fill the demand from your garage without a workshop is the issue. If I had the room I'd start my own business doing that shit today. I'm tired of working for companies.
Oh I totally get it. You'd end up needing a lot of printers going non stop even for not large orders to fill them in any reasonable amount of time, which is why the cost on stuff is still so high, you're paying for time. If I was to dabble it would more be on the hobby side, much like you guys. Seeing what kind of cool shit I can make

Hekotat

Oh I totally get it. You'd end up needing a lot of printers going non stop even for not large orders to fill them in any reasonable amount of time, which is why the cost on stuff is still so high, you're paying for time. If I was to dabble it would more be on the hobby side, much like you guys. Seeing what kind of cool shit I can make

Well, if you make a good enough product people would be willing to wait to get it. Especially if the price is good.

Hekotat

Upper brackets complete and good, now I have to just figure out supports since I've never really used them to print the front plate. I'll end up doing some more test fitting today, but I'll have to tear down my current PC to do so.

ApplicationFrameHost_PZHq7ebhcC.jpg

1kiGC8Esl3.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users