5 Best Games of All Time

Disp_sl

shitlord
Shouldn't be hard to figure out why. It was the first MMORPG for most of us, and the gameplay and social experience was unlike any game before it. When you played it and where you were in life has a lot to do with how a lot of games, books, and movies impact you. Just like how Goldeneye was incredible when it came out, but was obsolete just a few years later.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
In no particular order:

System Shock 2
Earthbound
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (I'm sure I'll take shit for this, but I really liked Adam. D
smile.png

Dark Souls

Neph_sl

shitlord
Super Mario Bros. 3
Chrono Trigger / Final Fantasy IV
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Shadow of the Colossus
World of Warcraft

Tried to pick one from different gaming eras. SNES is a tossup though.

Honorable mentions to The Orange Box, Pokemon, Super Metroid, Mega Man, and Tetris.

Animus_sl

shitlord
1. Thief: The Dark Project
2. Everquest
3. System Shock 2
4. Unreal Tournament
5. Baldur's Gate / Mario 3 / Morrowind / Zelda:OOT / Diablo 2 / Chrono Trigger / Tribes 2 / Half Life / Counterstrike / WoW Vanilla / Freespace 2 / Battlefield 2 / more I can't think of right now

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Kind of shocked how many people prefer EQ to WoW. WoW was everything EQ wanted to be.
Everquest was the first big MMO for a lot of people and it was most definitely the one I put the most time into. I really enjoyed WoW, but I simply never cared about progressing in it and easily put it down the times I stopped playing. I ate, slept and dreamed Everquest from 1999 - 2004. The drama in EQ was epic and that influences my memories a lot.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
There are more votes for System shock (2), Deus Ex, Thief and the like than modern FPS....so :

1-We are all a bunch of pathetic old gamers unable to understand newer games;
2-FPS (or FPSRPG?) are in the same limbo than MMO?

I am, honestly, not sure.

thatguyd

Trakanon Raider
There are more votes for System shock (2), Deus Ex, Thief and the like than modern FPS....so :

What games in the past 10 years have really brought anything new to the table in terms of different/decent game play? I really can't think of any. Games now are just a regurgitation of older games with better graphics.

Caliane

Both.
SS2 is not really as good as people remember it. haha. Same could be said for Half life.

but at the same time. yeah. FPS to a huge fucking step backwards due to consolization.
Games that could have/should have really taken things to the next step haven't really. Borderlands, Halflife2, Bioshock, Mass effect?, Crysis, Fear, etc.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Caliane is right.due to consoles,games (FPS/TPS in particular) are going bad to worse.no evolution at all.
worse is that any war FPS/TPS nowadays is a COD clone (Battlefield,Ghost Recon,MOH:Advanced warfighter,etc....).these last few years,only Spec Ops:The Line stood out (what a game!).
game developers do not care about singleplayer anymore,they just throw a shallow,bland,short campaign and put all their efforts on multiplayer.
since FEAR (apart from Spec Ops),i haven't played any good FPS/TPS,imo.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
Caliane is right.due to consoles,games (FPS/TPS in particular) are going bad to worse.no evolution at all.
worse is that any war FPS/TPS nowadays is a COD clone (Battlefield,Ghost Recon,MOH:Advanced warfighter,etc....).these last few years,only Spec Ops:The Line stood out (what a game!).
game developers do not care about singleplayer anymore,they just throw a shallow,bland,short campaign and put all their efforts on multiplayer.
F.E.A.R. was pretty solid, really enjoyed them. Was disappointed by the ending of the series in 3 though, there was certainly more room to do more. Ah well.

And I totally disagree that SS2 was not as good as it's made out to be. Same for Half-Life.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
F.E.A.R. was pretty solid, really enjoyed them. Was disappointed by the ending of the series in 3 though, there was certainly more room to do more. Ah well.

And I totally disagree that SS2 was not as good as it's made out to be. Same for Half-Life.
FEAR and expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate) were fucking great.
After that whole Vivendi/WB bullshit,i was like "this is going to be bad" and i was right.the story wasn't really good,the atmosphere (creepy/scary factor) completely destroyed.and that "rape" scene at the end,i think has no place in a game like FEAR.
and 3.....*sigh* it's the last nail on FEAR series coffin.

Fadaar

That guy
BF3 was designed from the start as a PC game first and foremost, so I think you can give Dice some slack for that. Bad Company series was a step backwards from BF2 for multiplayer though.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
FEAR and expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate) were fucking great.
After that whole Vivendi/WB bullshit,i was like "this is going to be bad" and i was right.the story wasn't really good,the atmosphere (creepy/scary factor) completely destroyed.and that "rape" scene at the end,i think has no place in a game like FEAR.
and 3.....*sigh* it's the last nail on FEAR series coffin.
I actually really thought the rape scene at the end of 2 was a great way to end that one, and especially when they tied it into 3. However, the execution of the story in 3 was lackluster and uninspiring. They did butcher the atmosphere in 3 as well, other than I would say the Bridge level and the freeway bit.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Both.
SS2 is not really as good as people remember it. haha. Same could be said for Half life.
I play SS2 nearly every year. And each time I panick when the first hybrid come at me
frown.png
But my avatar kinda give it away.
I play Vampire Bloodline from time to time also.
Or Deus Ex.
So it is not enterly rose colored glasses. I can't exactly explain what I find in these games than I can't find in others, more modern ones, but there is something. It is not like I can't like newer games, it just happen in FPS (and MMO).

frown.png

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If I had to muster a list, this is what comes to mind, but the longer I think about it the more difficult it gets.

1. EQ
2. A mario game (either 3 or World)
3. Tribes

From here I'm torn on some really good experiences, like the story in Call of Duty that's the same story of Stalingrad/Enemy at the Gates (might be getting this game mixed up with a Medal of Honor?) and the COD Modern Warfare with the AC130 mission and the sinking cargo ship. The single player experiences in the early COD/MOH games were really good but have since gone to shit for the most part with cut scenes and a bit too much brevity in lieu of the multiplayer grind.

So many other good games that I look for elements of in modern games, I bought Warlock out of wanting it to be like Master of Magic. It isn't, but I'll take it. Half-Life and System Shock 2 were amazing at the time, as was my first exposure to Team Fortress via Quake. Few experiences in WoW have ever really ranked up there with some of the accomplishments in EQ, but it would have to be up there somewhere.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The Magic Candle
Star Control 2
Might and Magic 2
Wizardry 7
Wing Commander (pick any 1-3)

I'd probably argue Ultima 6 is the greatest game of all time.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I play SS2 nearly every year. And each time I panick when the first hybrid come at me
frown.png
But my avatar kinda give it away.
I play Vampire Bloodline from time to time also.
Or Deus Ex.
So it is not enterly rose colored glasses. I can't exactly explain what I find in these games than I can't find in others, more modern ones, but there is something. It is not like I can't like newer games, it just happen in FPS (and MMO).
Most FPS are just rehashes of CoD 4 and Bioshock, Dishonored and Deus Ex: HR fell short of reaching their potential because of the sheer amount of money you need to replicate the amount of content in the originals.

frown.png

Caliane

Im not sure I would say NO evolution.
I mean, Mass effect and its half fps and half rpg.
Skyrim/Fallout and its half fps and half turn based rpg..
Borderlands and its loot. etc.
ZombieU..
L4D. you can't say L4d wasn't a great evolution in co-op.
I could go on. there is evolution there. But its not straight forward. Its more sideways.

Consoles really retarded level design, game controls, and AI for a while.
Many forget the limitations of consoles are NOT just graphical. Controller, Ram, transfer rates, HDD limitations as well.

Like using FEAR. Again, solid game no doubt. But due to consoles. Entirely too linear level design. That you were running down hallways was far too obvious. Weapons were extremely limited. It was only 2 at a time iirc right, out of 7 total? So FEAR and Bioshock same deal. fantastic presentation... but gameplay.. regressive. Bioshocks levels were better designed. (good presentation tends to leave better long term memories then good gameplay. Hence you get nostalgia for things like Deus Ex, SS2, Bioshock, Planescape, etc.)