90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
while you're right that its overplayed to the point a person could almost hate it, there is never a wrong time for Metallica so technically it doesnt count

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

and then

Friend group, and their girlfriends, played them non-fucking-stop.
there are like 3 versions of Dont Cry. and Sweet Child O Mine is from Appetite For Destruction. in the 1980s. November Rain is an overplayed song, i just never got tired of listening to it. Use Your Illusions I and II were probably 2 of the best albums of the 90s. there are a few crappy songs. but thats to be expected out of so many tracks. You Could Be Mine got a bit old after a while, but its still a great song.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not one mention of Bush?!?! You wouldn't even have to narrow it down to a specific song. Bush is the Nickelback of the 90s.

• 2Double Worf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This should just be called

"I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you! thread."

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Nickelback is the Nickelback of the 90s. Their first album was 1995? 96?

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Not one mention of Bush?!?! You wouldn't even have to narrow it down to a specific song. Bush is the Nickelback of the 90s.
What a hot fucking take. Some of their shit was overplayed, sure. But Sixteen Stone is easily one of the best albums of the 90s. There are only like 3 pretty "meh" songs on that album.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Music these days sucks so bad that almost every song listed in this thread is better than 95% of the dogshit being produced today. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

These guys are still fucking touring ha

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Music these days sucks so bad that almost every song listed in this thread is better than 95% of the dogshit being produced today. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

when there is a song i like, i'm not ashamed to admit it. i like this song a lot. i dont feel like it was ever overplayed to the point i changed the station. its one of those flash in the pan songs. they got tons of airplay for a short time then just gone forever. stuff like Tubthumping and All-star lingered around for years, they were featured in movies and ruined those too.

this song is a good one hit wonder. was around briefly and then was just erased from existence. never had a chance to get sick of it.
the hot cheerleader is probably a 50 yr old grandmother now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe this doesn't fit the thread because I've hated this song since day one, but I know plenty of people like it, and whenever I hear it I want to murder every single one of them.

The Aerosmith version is a tiny, tiny bit more tolerable, but I'd still ram that fucking mic stand through Steven Tyler's scarf-clad asshole rather than hear this song again.

For people wondering why modern radio (and even SiriusXM) repeats the same songs over and over every day, for months on end, I was told a lot of it is due to licensing and royalty contracts. I'm not an expert on this shit so I could be completely wrong, but from what I was told if you want the ability to play whatever you want from someone's catalog, let's say Queen, you're going to pay an assload because they have a lot of hits. But if you just rotate in a few hits at a time, it costs a lot less. Furthermore, say you sign a contract with Atlantic Records to play their artists songs, it is much more likely that they'll only include some of the hit songs because again, if you had free license to play any hit Atlantic has ever produced, it would be millions every month, and the radio stations wouldn't actually play all of them anyway so they'd be wasting their money. Furthermore, maybe they toss in another artist and give you a discount on Queen if you play Six Feet Under twice a day too.

I'm sure there are things I'm getting wrong or variations on the model, but I think overall it makes a lot of sense. No one pays "per song per play" anymore, they sign contracts to be able to play certain ones, maybe limited times or maybe unlimited, but it all comes down to money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Love this song, recently came up with a keyboard arrangement for it that works super well.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Their other single from that album was great too

• 2Like