90s songs that were OK the first time, but gave you cancer after they were played nonstop for months

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No, I'm saying it was played a lot in the US.

I'm a new englander.
Oh lol.

I was only 10 years old when it came out, but I don't remember it at all being on American radio or on MTV. Despite remembering when I was a kid hearing pretty much 98% of the songs in this thread. Maybe it just didn't catch my attention, not much of a hook to it, the main appeal is the lyrics.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Yes, was very much not a fan. It’s only recently that I’ve been able to appreciate some of their stuff.

This is a derail kinda since it is early 2000s but... Totally agree with this on Linkin Park. Really didn't like them at first with Hybrid Theory, but now I think Meteora is pretty great. Even the previously unreleased stuff from Meteora recently put out is better than most current day stuff.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
sddefault.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider

Lol scatman. I went to a private school and had a religion class each day. We had an assignment to pick a song and present a speech about why it was important to you and had a religious message. This song is what I picked and I could just see the professor seething while it played because it was hilarious and everyone was snickering. I made up some bs about how like Mr. Scatman's lyrics, God is unknowable or something. Just enough that he couldn't fail me for the assignment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The title track wasn't a radio single, was it? (Also, btw, rad riff in 15/8 in the first couple verses! And slick change from 4/4 to 7/8 later in the song. Wouldn't even know it was odd time unless you counted it out. Tool, eat your heart out)

"Drive," great as it is, was definitely overplayed.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the one drawback of this thread is i have completely ruined my recommended list on youtube. i keep seeing 90s songs that i fucking hated pop up as well as songs i forgotten about about but loved.
i remember hating this song because the radio killed it, but i think its pretty good now. stupid name for a band.

damn its not a 90s song. sorry

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Also hey, how many times collectively do you guys think we've heard Stone Temple Pilots' "Interstate Love Song," "Plush," "Wicked Garden," "Creep," "Vasoline," "Dead & Bloated," "Big Empty," "Sex Type Thing," or "Trippin' On a Hole in a Paper Heart"? And not single one of us grumpy old fucks has seen fit to complain about any of them yet?

RIP Scott Weiland.
Core is great, but I listened the shit out of Purple. Interstate Love Song was my favorite song period for quite a few years.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Core is great, but I listened the shit out of Purple. Interstate Love Song was my favorite song period for quite a few years.
Interstate Love Song is still top 10 of all time for me. Under The Bridge is on that list too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users