91st Academy Awards - Hoping to be the most woke Academy Awards ever!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The backlash over BP nomination is a little odd to me. Don't they always throw in a couple of nominations into Best Picture now that people are like "really?" about? Especially since they expanded it where it can be up to something like 10 films now?

Think it's weirder they basically nominated a Star is Born for everything except Cooper isn't up for director (he is for actor, though).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The backlash over BP nomination is a little odd to me. Don't they always throw in a couple of nominations into Best Picture now that people are like "really?" about? Especially since they expanded it where it can be up to something like 10 films now?

Think it's weirder they basically nominated a Star is Born for everything except Cooper isn't up for director (he is for actor, though).
Afirmative Action Nomination is always there, HOWEVER it's also a superhero movie which all of hollywood scoffs at.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nomination for the 'best' comedy 2018: academy awards itself.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Not a particularly great year for award type movies. Have to go with something, might as well pander!

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
That whole thing of 10 movies up for best picture, it's just done to get a wider range of interest. Then they're likely to have a bigger number of people tune in = higher ratings = more revenue for the show's makers and an apparent display of how important this awards show is.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That whole thing of 10 movies up for best picture, it's just done to get a wider range of interest. Then they're likely to have a bigger number of people tune in = higher ratings = more revenue for the show's makers and an apparent display of how important this awards show is.

good fucking luck with those ratings

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F03%2F20180306_Forbes_OscarsViewership.jpg

still 26.5 million idiots too many

• 3Like
  • 1Jonesing
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Black panther will win everything.

Best picture, best drama, best comedy, best director, best actor, best supporting actor, best sound effects, best EVERYTHING.

And there will be about 3 hours worth of drunken "DRUMPF IS AN ASSHOLE" speeches.

• 5Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 8 users

Cybsled

Like others have stated, Best Picture category for the past few years has included a movie or two that the general public has actually watched. With the exception of A Star is Born and to a lesser degree BlacKKKlansman, most of these films would probably not have even been on the radar of 99% of the population.

Best Animated Film will be an interesting category to see, because there are a lot of strong contenders this year (Incredibles 2, Spiderverse, Wreck it Ralph 2).

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Bohemian Rhapsody was also not BP worthy, though Rami Malek is very much deserving of the Best Actor nom.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

Well, if you are going to nominate a superhero movie at least nominate one that is good? Incredibles 2, Spiderverse, Infinity War or hell even deadpool 2 if we are wasting a Best Picture nom on a comic movie.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I haven't tuned in to one of these awards shows in years - I am pretty sure the last one I watched was more than a decade ago, and was purely for the sexytime I was guaranteed afterwards from the woman I was schmoozing at the time. True story. Same reason I used to suffer through the first couple seasons of Survivor. I even watched an episode or two of America's Top Model for the promise of the goodies. The things we do..............

I want to go on record with my amazement that the Golden Globes did not register a blip on these forums. I made a post in the SJW thread about the horrible opening monologue (di-alogue? I watched as much as I could, only because it was right after a football game).

This is going to be another farce. Just like I don't care about the on-field protests of our modern gladiators (you can do whatever you want off the field, NFL players), I could care less about what comes out of the pie-holes of our modern jesters. Pretend to be someone else for my entertainment and I shall pay you. But as to your personal opinions? Fuck off.

Black Panther was purely and truly a meh movie. It was entertaining, but incredibly eye rolling in places (the colonizer comments were so jarring it completely removes you from the movie), and ironic to the extreme with regards to the "white people bad" but we will just selfishly keep our technology here within our black-identitarian regime where you are ruled by blood succession in conjunction with might-makes-right. And the CGI was horrible.

• 2Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Like others have stated, Best Picture category for the past few years has included a movie or two that the general public has actually watched. With the exception of A Star is Born and to a lesser degree BlacKKKlansman, most of these films would probably not have even been on the radar of 99% of the population.

Best Animated Film will be an interesting category to see, because there are a lot of strong contenders this year (Incredibles 2, Spiderverse, Wreck it Ralph 2).

Bohemian Rhapsody made a shit ton of money. It's far more well known than Lee's movie.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

wtf is this movie, driving miss daisey but reversed?
MV5BMjMyNzExNzQ5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM2MjIxNjM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,631,1000_AL_.jpg

• 1Picard

Merrith

Wonder if it works for anyone. For me I'm generally looking at the list and you're talking 3 movies in discussion for actually winning, and a bunch of ballot fillers.

Merrith

Well, if you are going to nominate a superhero movie at least nominate one that is good? Incredibles 2, Spiderverse, Infinity War or hell even deadpool 2 if we are wasting a Best Picture nom on a comic movie.

I feel like they sleep on the animated stuff like Incredibles 2 and Spiderverse...they're both up for Best Animated film and it's almost like they consider that "their" category and unless it's absolutely exceptional they'll just leave it at that and not put them up for Best Picture

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I would care about how absurd Black Panther receiving a best picture award is if the Oscards were still something worth caring about. Shit is as irrelevant as the teen choice awards.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ratings will dip again.

Celebrities are entering a meltdown era where they just can’t understand why the majority of Americans despise them and their banal works. Kids rather play fortnite than go to the movies unless it’s Black panther (smart move to add - woke and marvel) Adults don’t wanna pay $20 to get preached at. Nerds torrent.

Hell I think spronk spronk is the only guy going to these artsy fartsy films.

Kubrick was right.

Fuck the Oscars.

• 2Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I feel like they sleep on the animated stuff like Incredibles 2 and Spiderverse...they're both up for Best Animated film and it's almost like they consider that "their" category and unless it's absolutely exceptional they'll just leave it at that and not put them up for Best Picture

The last animated movies nominated for Best Picture were Toy Story 3 and Up. Both were nominated after the category expanded to up to 10. Before that the only animated film nominated was Beauty and the Beast in 1991. The Academy has a type.

You can split hairs about which is a better movie, but live action movies require their performers to make a face along with talking, as opposed to voice acting. So I guess the Academy gives live action movies bonus points for difficulty?