A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
i don't know, watching the mr rogers doc he was for sure a very very odd duck socially with other adults

either way, although i'm a big tom hanks fan, the fact I just watched the documentary not to long ago is leaving me with very little interest in this movie - like, why am I going to watch this after a great in depth documentary?
I remember watching this show a bit as a kid, but I clearly wasn't as observant about behavioral tics and quality acting back then as I am now.

I watch this:

And have a hard time with Tom Hank's interpretation is all. I haven't watched the documentary though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I watched that excellent documentary that came out recently about Mr Rogers. It basically said he was Jesus, and a few hateful people tried to claim he may have been gay, but even the gay guy on the show said "I have amazing gaydar, and he was not gay." Just trying to find something to take down a wonderful human being.

On that documentary, and probably this movie, they always have the crippled kids. That shit breaks my heart man... I have a daughter, she's absolutely perfect, so healthy, beautiful, just lucky.
I don't understand why this movie exists when the documentary does.

How could this possibly be a worthwhile endeavor when it's someone pretending to do what we have footage of?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I don't understand why this movie exists when the documentary does.

How could this possibly be a worthwhile endeavor when it's someone pretending to do what we have footage of?

......because the unwashed masses don't watch documentaries but they sure as shit will pay to watch Tom Hanks pretend on screen.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Why should the existence of a documentary preclude a drama?

I'm all for anything that gets today's kids interested in Mr. Rogers. It seems like the vast majority of children's programming is produced under the assumption that 100% of its audience has ADD.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I'm all for anything that gets today's kids interested in Mr. Rogers. It seems like the vast majority of children's programming is produced under the assumption that 100% of its audience has ADD.

kids aren't going to watch this movie

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mean he kinda looks the part and kinda sounds the part if you just shot a gun without ear pro but hey, at least they didn't cast Jack Black or something really dumb.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I mean he kinda looks the part and kinda sounds the part if you just shot a gun without ear pro but hey, at least they didn't cast Jack Black or something really dumb.
Hanks is probably 40 pounds heavier than fred rogers was at any point in his life. Dude has really porked it up over the years. Studios must have excellent caterers these days.

Cybsled

God you guys are scrutinizing this more than any biopic in the history of man. He isn't Fred Rogers, no more than Leonard Decaprio was Howard Hughes. He isn't going to 100% look like him.

Btw, this is supposed to be late 90s Rogers. The film is supposed to be based on this magazine article

Btw, this is a really good read and I'd recommend reading it if you've never read it before

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Fred Rogers as a person fit into both the perfect timeline and the beginning of the worst timeline.

When he started it was accepted and understood that every normal adult male hetero loved and wanted to care for children - they wanted to make sure the next generation of children grew up to be kind, understanding, loving and aware and well functioning humans.

However the world around him changed and in the 80-90s etc. as the world turned dark and twisted the normal well functioning loving caring hetero male was destroyed - and yes, Mr. Rodgers was a target, he must be a molester, no...well he /must/ be a closet gay then- straight men are /not nice nor caring for children/ "that" is the realm of the gay (no, molesting and pedos are the realm of the gays)

That is why that line is in the trailer "do not destroy my childhood" there were many thinly disguised attempts and probes to "interview" or "study" Rodgers to prove out the gay or pedo or SOMETHING.

Fred Rodgers is everything that the progressive left movement wants to destroy, yet progressive /people/ LOVE him and they wonder why there is not more of him - it is because, you killed him.

Guess what they found?

NOTHING but a normal, caring and loving person who wants to help children grow up to be like him, normal good people - something this day and age says cannot exist and fights against (by destroying)

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
He does not sound like him, he sounds like some weird comic doing a creepy impression of Mr Rodgers.
Did we watch the same trailer? I love Tom Hanks but might pass on this one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

...or are, or will be soon, massive weebs.

Fadaar

That guy
Movie will be great I'm sure but Hanks is my biggest issue. Like... I know it's fuckin Tom Hanks, I just can't see anyone but him. Would have worked better with an unknown actor who looked more like Mr. Rogers.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Movie will be great I'm sure but Hanks is my biggest issue. Like... I know it's fuckin Tom Hanks, I just can't see anyone but him. Would have worked better with an unknown actor who looked more like Mr. Rogers.

Hollywood is not just going to shower Oscars on top of some rando...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He isn't Fred Rogers, no more than Leonard Decaprio was Howard Hughes.
yea, but i wasn't fucking watching howard hughes every weekday of my kindergarden/1st grade life either, now was i?

• 2Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Hanks is both a great and a bad choice. Out of the current crop of actors, I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone as close to Fred in terms of the right combination of warmth, genuineness, likability, etc as Hanks. The problem is he's a super-recognizable actor playing a super-recognizable character. Most people don't have a clue what Howard Hughes actually looked or sounded like.

To boot, Hanks is not a voice-impressionist at all. He has three modes: loud Hanks, normal Hanks, and Forrest Gump. None of those do Rogers any justice. Will still watch and likely pretend I'm not tearing up at multiple points.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I forgot Colin Hanks played Mr. Rogers in an episode of "Drunk History"

drunkhistory-mrrogers-colinhanks.jpg

• 1Like