A brain teasing probability puzzle

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm still trying to figure out why Araysar thinks round 1 has no impact on round 2.
Because nothing shuffles between round 1 and 2. Your odds at the beginning are your odds at the end.

You RRP'ed him for not agreeing on an extremely debatable area? You are kidding right Tuco?

Fix my poll then please.

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Because nothing shuffles between round 1 and 2. Your odds at the beginning are your odds at the end.

You RRP'ed him for not agreeing on an extremely debatable area? You are kidding right Tuco?

Fix my poll then please.
There is nothing 'extremely debatable' about the Monty Hall problem. The correct strategy is to always switch your pick. Several links to explanations have been provided.

Yes it's a bit counter intuitive, yes people's explanation aren't always clearing things up, but it's pure math and zero mental trickery.

felldoh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's not 'extremely debatable', its statistical fact. Banning him though, is as retarded as Araysar's position in this thread.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
If we remove one of three mods and let you have a choice between the remaining two what is the likelihood of Araysar still being RRP'ed?

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
I haven't had this much fun reading a thread since the "Vicoden, Gigarettes, and Fake Tits" thread. Pure awesome!

drmandolin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Consuming the last 14 pages as quickly as we had to in order to keep up, totally reminded me of:

rrr_img_43408.jpg

The Master

Bronze Squire
To be fair to Araysar, haven't quite a few experts disputed this issue?
No. A number of laymen have disputed it as far back as 1975, they were arguing with a professor at Berkley. Would you care to guess who was right? There is no one with a degree in stats, at any level, who disputes the answer.

Curiously, and this is new to me, Monty Hall apparently wrote to Selvin with his own explanation. Monty Hall got it right, saying something along the lines of "Eliminating a box gives the contestant the feeling that the odds are now 50/50, even though they remain the same for his first choice, 1/3." The fact that Monty Hall knew the right answer makes me happy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's actually pretty similar to the plane/treadmill thing. It's all about how it's worded, and the assumptions people make about the rules.
Eh, I disagree. I doubt you could word it differently than

original_sl said:
Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?
And get a much different response from a group of people. It's one of those problems where the more words you put into the problem to direct them to the right answer the more complicated you make it.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
No. A number of laymen have disputed it as far back as 1975, they were arguing with a professor at Berkley. Would you care to guess who was right? There is no one with a degree in stats, at any level, who disputes the answer.

Curiously, and this is new to me, Monty Hall apparently wrote to Selvin with his own explanation. Monty Hall got it right, saying something along the lines of "Eliminating a box gives the contestant the feeling that the odds are now 50/50, even though they remain the same for his first choice, 1/3." The fact that Monty Hall knew the right answer makes me happy.
According to some of the articles linked in this thread, the people debating Savant are mathematicians and professors.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
According to some of the articles linked in this thread, the people debating Savant are mathematicians and professors.
Find me a single mathematician who currently disputes it. Not "Here's a bunch of assholes who got it wrong a decade ago and later probably apologized' but today.

None the less we don't need to appeal to authority here. It's a very simple stats problem.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

This is the crux and why it's debatable.

People think the odds change as in the boxes are shuffled but they are not.

This makes the entire scenario debatable.

Fix my poll and delete the old one Tuco.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I'll make you the offer I made Ara. Find someone with a PhD in stats who disagrees. If you want to make an appeal to authority argument, find an authority.