A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
He also has the problem (read: $) of taking on way too much side shit in the 8 years after the last book, causing him to most likely waste all of that time.
Originally published: July 12, 2011

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
He can't finish the story in two books while meeting his own standards and he doesn't want to write more than two books so he's constantly writing and rewriting trying to make it fit and he can't so it doesn't really go anywhere.

Book five's release date was July of 2011 which means it was done like six months to a year earlier. If he had just pounded out one book every couple of years until it was done we'd have a finish. A Dance With Dragons was troubling in that he was still adding characters and expanding the scope of the story when what he needed to do was focus on what he had already laid out. If you take where that book left off and then look at all the shit the show did from that spot and then try and math out how many pages it would take Martin to advance the plot that far properly it's more like four books than two.

He's boned. He knows it. One day it will be someone else's problem.
Hasn't he always said there are no notes or outlines, so when he goes, no one else can finish it?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It's pretty obvious GRRM has checked out. He's one of my favorite modern writers. I'd say him and Simmons are probably the most pleasing authors in terms of how enjoyable it is to read their works, but they are both very frustrating in their own ways. GRRM because he decided to keel over dead and become a living football zombie, and Simmons because every one of his stories is a gut rumbling, stomach churning ride where you think you need to run to the bathroom for the most glorious explosion that mankind has ever experienced. As you dash into the pot and sit down, breathing a sigh of relief that you've saved yourself from an incredibly embarrassing event and prepare yourself for the satisfaction that will now flow to mark your victory, nothing ever comes out.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Dude could have gone down an history as one of the greats, instead he fucked off after TV fame and now will be mocked endlessly for letting such a potential masterpiece fall into unfinished dissapointment.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I'm not even convinced he's still trying to get it finished.

I think when the ending of the TV series was heavily criticized, he realized even if he somehow did drag his fat ass from the couch watching football to his writing chair, he'd still have a bunch of unhappy readers, since a lot of them deluded themselves that the TV series was only bad because they had no idea how to end it due to the lack of books.

He never flat out said the ending they did was or wasn't the one he planned because he keeps raking in cash from book sales due to his old and new readers' hope that "his" ending will be better and redeem the franchise, but I don't buy that.

He's just gonna ride his royalties to the grave and as said above, it's going to be someone else's problem.

• 1Like

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Originally published: July 12, 2011
Since 2011, he has released the below:
1641317131524.png

Been series editor (along with sometimes contributing to) eight Wild Cards books. Co-edited another 4 anthologies. Also did the worldbuilding for Elden Ring (which I'll give him a pass on).

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He can't finish the story in two books while meeting his own standards and he doesn't want to write more than two books so he's constantly writing and rewriting trying to make it fit and he can't so it doesn't really go anywhere.

Book five's release date was July of 2011 which means it was done like six months to a year earlier. If he had just pounded out one book every couple of years until it was done we'd have a finish. A Dance With Dragons was troubling in that he was still adding characters and expanding the scope of the story when what he needed to do was focus on what he had already laid out. If you take where that book left off and then look at all the shit the show did from that spot and then try and math out how many pages it would take Martin to advance the plot that far properly it's more like four books than two.

He's boned. He knows it. One day it will be someone else's problem.
yeah, you could see that no way 2 books was going to complete this story and wrap up all the characters/subplots he added. it was a great feeling reading all these little side stories and pieces of lore, but it really sucks when you dont even bother to start ending the story.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, if my house is on fire, I don't think anyone's going to give a shit that you trimmed the hedges in the meantime.

• 1Like

Goatface

this came out last month, c&p the bullet points, article talks about each

June 2010: Martin has written 4 chapters of 'The Winds of Winter'

July 2010: Martin has written more than 100 pages

April 2011: Martin predicts 'The Winds of Winter' will take 3 years to finish

July 2011: 'A Dance with Dragons' is published

October 2012: Martin has written 400 pages

April 2015: Martin hopes to release the book by 2016

January 2016: Martin reveals he missed multiple deadlines in 2015

February 2016: Martin isn't writing anything else until 'Winds' is finished

January 2017: Martin predicts the book will be out 'this year'

July 2017: Martin confirms he'll release 'a Westeros book' in 2018

April 2018: Martin confirms 'Winds' isn't coming in 2018

June 2018: Martin says 'Winds' is still his 'top priority'

November 2018: 'Fire & Blood' is published

May 2019: Martin jokes fans can 'imprison me' if he's not finished by July 2020

June 2020: Martin still has a 'long way to go'

February 2021: Martin still has 'hundreds of more pages to write'

March 2022: Martin admits he made 'less' progress in 2021

October 2022: Martin is 'three-quarters of the way done'

December 2022: Martin has 400 or 500 pages left to write

April 2023: Martin to produce new 'Game of Thrones' spinoff

Martin says his current plan is to "finish The Winds of Winter, and then do either A Dream of Spring or volume two of Fire & Blood, and slip in a new Dunk & Egg between each of those in my copious spare time," which should "keep me ahead of" HBO's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

• 1Worf

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
that fat fuck needs to die so that his estate or whoever will hold the rights to his work will publish the unfinished book. I wouldn't be surprised if the bozo hasn't written anything at all, and it's all just a bunch of notes and ideas. He spends way more time milking the IP than writing.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
that fat fuck needs to die so that his estate or whoever will hold the rights to his work will publish the unfinished book. I wouldn't be surprised if the bozo hasn't written anything at all, and it's all just a bunch of notes and ideas. He spends way more time milking the IP than writing.
I can’t wait for the Kevin Anderson Song of ice and fire expanded universe. This is like dune to me. Once the fat fuck Keels over dead I’m done.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Oh, I'm going to get some haaaate for posting in this thread. It's worth it because this could *literally* be about 10 people from this thread (me included).

1695414839345.png

• 1Worf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Oh, I'm going to get some haaaate for posting in this thread. It's worth it because this could *literally* be about 10 people from this thread (me included).

View attachment 491778
I hope OpenAI countersue him for damages and take all his book/movie money away so he has to actually work on them again to afford a ham sammich.

Honestly, what the actual fuck do they think copyright has to do with ChatGPT?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
We said months ago AI going to remove writers and journalists from their jobs really quick along with script writers and so on.
He can sue a computer all he wants, other than his unfinished book no one knows if he has even started other than his claims, he is past his use by date.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Thread necro comment: But then we get the Brian Herbert-like extension of the Game of Thrones universe that becomes worse than the story of Season 8.

And ain't no one got time for that.

Chris

Potato del Grande
We said months ago AI going to remove writers and journalists from their jobs really quick along with script writers and so on.
He can sue a computer all he wants, other than his unfinished book no one knows if he has even started other than his claims, he is past his use by date.
When I was playing around with it, it seemed fairly basic. It's going to lack the creativity required for top tier stuff.

It will hit low quality writers hard though. Like journalists and shit TV shows.

Goatface

"I have like 1,100 pages written but I still have hundreds more pages to go. It's a big mother of a book for whatever reason. Maybe I should've started writing smaller books when I began this but it's tough. That's the main thing that dominates most of my working life."

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
"for whatever reason" He knows that we know that he knows the reason. So, why such a stupid remark?

Honestly, I had to recheck 1.1k pages because it didn't set off any alarms when I first read it. I have 0 expectations at this point. WoW could be 1 page containing a giant middle finger subtitled "Get fucked, nerds". And it would still be better than the last three seasons of GoT.