A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I accidentally went back to the start of this thread and remembered that Obama's second term hadn't yet started when this thread did. The XBO/PS4 hadn't come out. The Last of Us hadn't come out. GTA 5 hadn't come out.

Its been more time since the last book than it took for the first 4 books to come out. One book since 2005.

Based upon his blog post, he doesn't sound close to being done.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I accidentally went back to the start of this thread and remembered that Obama's second term hadn't yet started when this thread did. The XBO/PS4 hadn't come out. The Last of Us hadn't come out. GTA 5 hadn't come out.

Its been more time since the last book than it took for the first 4 books to come out. One book since 2005.

Based upon his blog post, he doesn't sound close to being done.

From Wikipedia -

Chapters for several POVs, which may include Sansa Stark, Samwell Tarly, Aeron Damphair, Arianne Martell, and Brienne of Tarth were written for the book, but they will instead tentatively appear in the next book, The Winds of Winter.

Dude pushed chapters on to the next book which means he basically started with some of it already done.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
While I hate that ending to this day and will still randomly bitch about it the Dark Tower was also an immunization against further disappointment of that scale. It's much, much easier for me to be happy with what I've gotten even if everything turns to complete shit somewhere along the way. A couple decent books and a couple decent seasons of a show is plenty.
oh, hell yeah. i dunno if you were suffering with me, but Waste Lands ended on a cliffhanger. so i waited and waited. 6 years went by, then OMG a new DT book. i reserved my copy for Wizard and Glass at the local book store. ran in there the day it came out and started reading that night. it was a disappointment because it barely continued the story and went into a flashback for most of the story. then a new wait began. then the news that SK got his dumb self run over and was near death. i was like. oh no, i'll never know how it all turns out, but he got better and another 6 years later we had a new book that was all a continuation of the series. it eventually ended shitty. but i was so happy i got an ending that i can almost forgive the copout in the last chapter.

almost.

• 4Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't read those books until a couple of years ago, funny, Wizard and Glass might be my favorite one.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I didn't read those books until a couple of years ago, funny, Wizard and Glass might be my favorite one.
I know. Most everyone says that. But most everyone wasn't following the series in real time either. It's like watching your favorite TV show and just as your fav characters get into a bind. They break for commercials. 10 minutes of commercials. Then it come back and they briefly address the current situation and then hit you with a dream sequence for like an hour. Then another 10 minutes of commercials. It's a pain in the ass. Especially when it's years and years.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Yeah I started reading about the time Wizard and Glass came out and I loved it. Probably one of my favorite SK books. I can see how it would be frustrating if you waited for years though and it didn't advance the story at all.

Because of Wheel of Time and the Dark Tower, I refused to read A Song of Ice and Fire for years because I didn't want to start another unfinished series. Once I watched s1 of game of thrones though, I decided to read the books just so I could understand WTF was going on. I considered the TV show the ending though. I won't read the new book even if it does actually come out someday.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Last year I started listening to the Dark Tower audiobooks and made it to the beginning of the third book before putting it down because it got pretty slow and uninteresting. Would you say it's worth finishing?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
At least with Game of Thrones there's a lot of people in the same boat. It would be the way worse to be permanently salty over something like Dune novels Frank Herbert's kid had made after his death. Ain't no one going to have any idea what the fuck you are even on about.

Last year I started listening to the Dark Tower audiobooks and made it to the beginning of the third book before putting it down because it got pretty slow and uninteresting. Would you say it's worth finishing?

Three and four are worth your time.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Say what you will about the Dark Tower series, but at least it is finished.

Heck, Mr. King is still writing books.

• 2Like
  • 2Garbage
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have no doubt Martin will end it better even if its somewhat the same way. The books have been telegraphing a heel turn for Dany since forever, for example. That being said he will never finish and after The TV shows craptastic last season it just beat the give a shit out of me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
She's had a villain's trajectory since book one but it was so absent from the show I get why everyone was surprised. Hell, from watching the show I was pretty sure my impressions on the character were just flat wrong. From the show I thought what we were going to get was the birth of a new age of heroes as magic returns to the world. NOPE. Shocking swerves for everyone!

I also thought Winterfell was going to fall with the final battle between the living and the dead taking place at King's Landing so what do I know.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
My grandfather loved The Dark Tower and told me a bit about it. My mother started reading to so I jumped to the last chapter out of curiosity.

I had no investment in the story at all and even I thought it was lame.

Last edited:
  • 1Garbage

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, Wizard and Glass is really good. I liked Wolves of the Calla as well. The series ending, it isn't perfect, or even good. The 6th and 7th books just weren't good. The 6th had something, it could have been good, but it wasn't. But at that point, whatever. When I say "not good" it's still pretty well written etc, Stephen King is great. But the last two are definitely not up to the quality of the first 4-5.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, Wizard and Glass is really good. I liked Wolves of the Calla as well. The series ending, it isn't perfect, or even good. The 6th and 7th books just weren't good. The 6th had something, it could have been good, but it wasn't. But at that point, whatever. When I say "not good" it's still pretty well written etc, Stephen King is great. But the last two are definitely not up to the quality of the first 4-5.
i liked song of susannah. very cheeseballs, but thats stephen king.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
“If I don’t have ‘The Winds of Winter’ in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for Worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done”

That ain't prison, that's quarantining in new zealand.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
“If I don’t have ‘The Winds of Winter’ in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for Worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done”

That ain't prison, that's quarantining in new zealand.
He knew he'd never make it to NZ anyway, due to COVID. HE KNEW!

• 1Worf

Maul

Dental Dammer
Does anyone actually give a fuck about him finishing it anymore? As good as the first few books were, I lost interest years ago.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Say what you will about the Dark Tower series, but at least it is finished.

Heck, Mr. King is still writing books.

Yeah and they are all basically crap. That car collision probably scrambled his brain worse than the drugs and booze he did, since he never put out anything good again. All he has now is his TDS.

• 1Salty