A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Has the Horn of Winter even been mentioned in the show yet? Did they totally get rid of it? I have a hard time writing off that it isn't significant in the books.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Isin't Balon Greyjoy still alive in the show? I think the last we saw him was in season 3 before Yara tries to save Theon (terrible part of the show IMO).

I don't think the Greyjoy story will turn out useless or anything. Dany still needs a way to get to Westeros, and who ever gets her there is most definitely important to the story line. Even if they die in Mereen, the act of them delivering her ships makes them vital to the plot.

I could easily see a scene in a couple episodes where Balon has 2 mins on screen and sends Yara, or takes himself to Mereen to get eaten and deliver ships. It would seem to me that Dany still needs ships to get to Westeros, and I think they will just condense the Victarion/Greyjoy family into just Theon, Balon, and Yara. That doesnt mean the Greyjoy story is "going nowhere".

But then again, you would think that if they were going to do that in the TV show, they would have already put those things into motion. The ships oughta be on their way during Tyrions travels.

Derivator_sl

shitlord
There is a scene in season 4 where Daario mentions having captured the Meereenese navy consisting of 93 ships, the same number of ships Victarion has in his Iron Fleet. It's still possible Victarion or another Greyjoy decides to sail to Meereen in a single ship, though I find it less likely as the show progresses.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Euron is missing an eyeball, isn't he? Unless the "handsome" merc is just a glamour! Maybe he learned face shifting from the house of black and white?!?

Yeah, dude is just Daario.

Also, via the books, Daenarys is sort of without anyone but Drogon. She isn't going to need a lot of boats to get across to Westeros.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
nah dany in the books is about 10 seconds from revealing to the dothraki hoard that abandoned her after drogo died, that the Dosh Khaleen prophecy was correct, she has given birth to the stallion that will mount the world, and his name is Drogon the black dread. Only thing that will really change is that she's gonna need a lot more boats. Which is why all those volantis ships are en route anyway. The ones that Victarion hasn't captured already and converted to his own fleet will arrive just in time to see a victorious mereen, a defeated yunkai forces, and just before they decide to bounce they will be surrounded by the ironfleet and capitulate. Not that they could really go home anyway cus volantis will be in the midst of a slave revolt and it's all gonna be team dany anyway.

Weiss and Benioff kinda contradict themselves at times. At least one recent interview stated that the book events may not necessarily match up to their changes in the show.

Everything this season seems so straight forward that there isn't much intrigue left. It's almost as if we're out of cunty characters to root against aside from maybe the Boltons/Cersei and we pretty much know everyone's intent at this point. In the novels it seemed like for every character that died, GRRM would introduce a slew of others that could have potentially interesting and notable story lines. Now we're stuck with the bare bones because they're somewhat making it up as they go along and strictly sticking to what's confirmed to be relevant.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
nah dany in the books is about 10 seconds from revealing to the dothraki hoard that abandoned her after drogo died, that the Dosh Khaleen prophecy was correct, she has given birth to the stallion that will mount the world, and his name is Drogon the black dread. Only thing that will really change is that she's gonna need a lot more boats. Which is why all those volantis ships are en route anyway. The ones that Victarion hasn't captured already and converted to his own fleet will arrive just in time to see a victorious mereen, a defeated yunkai forces, and just before they decide to bounce they will be surrounded by the ironfleet and capitulate. Not that they could really go home anyway cus volantis will be in the midst of a slave revolt and it's all gonna be team dany anyway.
Yep. Thats the classic way dany progresses. Whether grrm lets thos happen is unknown.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
dany has total plot armor until she conquers westeros. After that it's anyone's guess.

GRRM would introduce a slew of others that could have potentially interesting and notable story lines. Now we're stuck with the bare bones because they're somewhat making it up as they go along and strictly sticking to what's confirmed to be relevant.
yeah but we know they are all irrelevant, even without the TV show.

GRRMs original notes and pitch to his publisher lays out exactly how they story unfolds in broad strokes, including the main characters all of which are introduced in book 1. Fan's latch on to the most minute characters and develop crazy theories but it's really a simple trilogy.

original pitch is book 1: Game of Thrones. This is about the politics surrounding stark vs lannister war, which becomes the War of the Five Kings. This book is Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, and Storm of Swords.

Book 2: Dance with dragons. This is about the invasion from Essos and return of the Targ line. This (due to change of skipping the 5 year gap) became AFFC, Dance, and the first half of Winds of Winter (everything that got cut from Dance due to length)

Book 3: Wolves of Winter (which was changed to Winds of Winter because wolves implies a stark return to prominence and that wasn't his intent). This is about the white walker invasion of Westeros. This will be the other half of Winds, Dream, and most likely the potential 8th book that get's inserted between the two cus dude's manuscripts are just fucking epic in length.

He's really just writing 3 really long books, and he's almost done with the 2nd one. It won't be til near the end of Winds until anything really unpredictable occurs.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Euron is missing an eyeball, isn't he? Unless the "handsome" merc is just a glamour! Maybe he learned face shifting from the house of black and white?!?

Yeah, dude is just Daario.

Also, via the books, Daenarys is sort of without anyone but Drogon. She isn't going to need a lot of boats to get across to Westeros.
Euron has both eyes, he just wears an eyepatch over one because it's magic or some shit. I just read AFFC again so it's fresh in my head.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm torn on how I feel about it. We had the viral "George R R Martin is not your bitch," article a few years ago, and I think that pretty succinctly summarizes my stance.

The dude gave us a really awesome world with really interesting characters and really shook up what popular fantasy looked like. Of course I'll be disappointed if he never finishes the series, but I don't think I'm entitled to an end. Some redditor with a lot of passion and time on his hands will devote endless hours on some fan fiction and that will be my ending. Who knows, it might even be better than what George had in mind.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
dany has total plot armor until she conquers westeros. After that it's anyone's guess.

yeah but we know they are all irrelevant, even without the TV show.

GRRMs original notes and pitch to his publisher lays out exactly how they story unfolds in broad strokes, including the main characters all of which are introduced in book 1. Fan's latch on to the most minute characters and develop crazy theories but it's really a simple trilogy.

original pitch is book 1: Game of Thrones. This is about the politics surrounding stark vs lannister war, which becomes the War of the Five Kings. This book is Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, and Storm of Swords.

Book 2: Dance with dragons. This is about the invasion from Essos and return of the Targ line. This (due to change of skipping the 5 year gap) became AFFC, Dance, and the first half of Winds of Winter (everything that got cut from Dance due to length)

Book 3: Wolves of Winter (which was changed to Winds of Winter because wolves implies a stark return to prominence and that wasn't his intent). This is about the white walker invasion of Westeros. This will be the other half of Winds, Dream, and most likely the potential 8th book that get's inserted between the two cus dude's manuscripts are just fucking epic in length.

He's really just writing 3 really long books, and he's almost done with the 2nd one. It won't be til near the end of Winds until anything really unpredictable occurs.
I agree with this post.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I'm torn on how I feel about it. We had the viral "George R R Martin is not your bitch," article a few years ago, and I think that pretty succinctly summarizes my stance.

The dude gave us a really awesome world with really interesting characters and really shook up what popular fantasy looked like. Of course I'll be disappointed if he never finishes the series, but I don't think I'm entitled to an end. Some redditor with a lot of passion and time on his hands will devote endless hours on some fan fiction and that will be my ending. Who knows, it might even be better than what George had in mind.
how are you torn? GRRM isn't your bitch, but you aren't his either. Dude has a loyal dedicated fan base that has hung on his every word, waiting anxiously for the "next book" for 20 years. fans have prodded him, pleaded with him, all the while reminding him that he's getting up there in age and at like 4'9" and 400 lbs he's clearly not in the best health.

You don't have the right to bitch that he should be writing instead of fucking around with his dumptrucks of money and writing NY jets fanfic blog, likewise he doesn't have the right to cry about it when it finally dawns on him that what was obvious to every one of his fans that's complained to him for the last 20 years was right.

I'd rather he finish the series than getting to say "I told you so you stupid fat fuck" at his funeral, but if it does go down that way we don't have to rely on some reddit fanfic for a conclusion. The show is canon and will end the series the same way he will/would of ended the books.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
The show is canon and will end the series the same way he will/would of ended the books.
Fuck that ! The show, as great as it is, cannot be compared to the books. And now, with the greater and greater deviations from the book they seem to introduce, I cannot possibly consider the show to be cannon...

So I much rather have the books finished, thank you very much... If he doesn't finish the series, I will cry. The best outcome would be for some other writer to finish the series based upon his notes - I know some say the notes don't exist, but they might....

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So we know two things with absolute certainty:

1) GRRM laid out the framework for all the main character's story arcs to the show runners. Other than martin himself only dan and dave know how the books end. As recently as 2 days ago GRRM reiterated that the TV show and the books are both headed to the same point and will both end with the same conclusion.
2) that GRRM hopes that there will never be another ASOIAF book after his death, and that he will never allow it in his lifetime nor will his wife allow it in her lifetime. He can't control what happens to his estate after that but he hopes that it never happens, ever.

knowing this, the TV show will conclude (spoil) the series long before the books are finished. If we are lucky martin will also finish the books and we get the expanded version of the story vs the reader's digest condensed version which is the TV series.

you have somehow opted for a 3rd choice. You want to wait many more decades for some tumblr faggot to pen an unauthorized fanfic directly counter to the wishes of author and you want to hold that as canon.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fuck that ! The show, as great as it is, cannot be compared to the books. And now, with the greater and greater deviations from the book they seem to introduce, I cannot possibly consider the show to be cannon...

So I much rather have the books finished, thank you very much... If he doesn't finish the series, I will cry. The best outcome would be for some other writer to finish the series based upon his notes - I know some say the notes don't exist, but they might....
I'd rather have the books finished too, but after the last few seasons and last few books.... the show is better than the books.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'd rather have the books finished too, but after the last few seasons and last few books.... the show is better than the books.
Meh. I know where you're coming from. I thought books 4 and 5 were pretty shitty compared to the first three, but it's not like I hated reading them. They still let me immerse myself in the world of teenage girl drama and giant turtles.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Type point A and point B in Google Maps and there will be half a dozen routes you can take. Some are shorter and some are longer. You might take the straight shot or the scenic route. You still end up at point B. You can cry because a bridge collapsed on the route you WANTED to take and go home butthurt, or you can take the detour and be there in time for dinner. Personally I'm just happy there IS a detour.