A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
Jon was actually good by the end of ADWD when he decided to use his army and go kill shit. It's a shame he died, but it's going to be ok, he'll be back and undead and even more willing to kill shit.
I sure hope when George R.R. Martin dies before finishing the series that he comes back as an undead writer and finishes the damn thing.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am kind of hoping Dany goes full on evil queen in the next book, she has been kind of teetering on it now. It will finally make her interesting. I also hope Jon is really dead. I liked the character but let's keep shit dangerous.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
I had hoped Dany teams up with Jon and become team evil. And one of the dragons gets wighted and becomes Jon's ice dragon.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk, the decisions Jon was making were right, the Night's Watch guys were just being bitches. It is bad leadership in that he should have done more to drag them along with him. But he wasn't wrong.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
idk, the decisions Jon was making were right, the Night's Watch guys were just being bitches. It is bad leadership in that he should have done more to drag them along with him. But he wasn't wrong.
Yes they were the choices that had to be made but he had no support from any veterans among the watch (and did not really strive for it), he was also dictatorial whenever concerns were voiced and basically plugged his ears, went la la la and expected things to go fine. I'm really just amazed that his Julius Caesar moment didn't occur before he opened wide the gates to the wildlings; now I can't foresee anything but a giant bloodbath unless sparkly magic occurs to set everything right again.

But how great would it be for the entire wall to erupt in an orgy of blood and vengeance thus opening the way for the real threat? So long as their advance isn't too quick and it gives the rest of the continent time to continue their doubts and games with each other it could be very interesting. Please no united front and League of Men scenario... at least not too soon as it has to come about anyway unless Danny can just wave her dainty wrist and banish them all to oblivion.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Without Jon to hold them in check, and because the NW Caesar'd him, them no-kneelers gon rip up the NW.

I was thinking last night: Melisandre rejiggers Jon with the spirit of he true Lightbringer, a-la Soul Reaver. Jon becomes the Lightbringer incarnate, free to become Azor Azhai without being powered directly by him. Bonus cool: Lightbringer emanates from Jon's arm like Raziel.

Jon on a wight dragon would certainly be awesome. "The dragon has three heads" so I certainly expect his undead self to be riding some sort of dragon eventually.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
I don't see how the Wall doesn't erupt into chaos and violence. The only hope I can see for it returning to stability is Stannis returning with Mance, Stannis can pull the NW and his forces into line (through the threat of force if necessary) and Mance should be able to restore his control of the wildlings. Don't see it happening though, the wall will hold so long as the NW stays true, and I think the wall is falling in the next book.

Pikifou

Molten Core Raider
the wall will hold so long as the NW stays true
But isn't it Jon who wanted to fight the Bolton with the Nightwatch and wildlings ?
But the NW is supposed to only guard the Wall gainst what lie beyond it not interfer with the Kingdom affairs.
I think Jon was about to make a big mistake and the NW men acted because of it.

Gonna start rereading this all over again. Been about 5 years since I last read the series so I want to get all the plot lines straight in my head before reading the fifth book.

Here goes, gonna try to get 100 pages or so in today.

edit....

Finished the first hundred pages and it's annoying that now all I can think of when I read the book is the actors from the show.

When I ponder for a moment I can still bring up the images I had created in my mind but when reading it always reverts back to the shows actors.

/rustled

haven't read the latest book yet, but my prediction from a while ago was Jon was going to end up teaming up with Daenerys and fucking shit up. Dragons destroying Robb's army and shit, would be nice to see if that comes true.

Gask

Gonna start rereading this all over again. Been about 5 years since I last read the series so I want to get all the plot lines straight in my head before reading the fifth book.
My advice on Dance: Read a summary of Jon and Danny's chapters except for their final POVs. It was such a huge letdown getting over halfway through the book and realizing that nope... nothing is really going to happen after all (and over half the book is devoted to it). Everything else is more or less worth reading (save for Tyrion's grand river adventure) and some of those chapters clearly feel like the stuff he wrote before Feast IE quite good.

But I'm sure this has been said a million times in this thread already. Anyway enjoy the re-read!
smile.png

khalid

Unelected Mod
My advice on Dance: Read a summary of Jon and Danny's chapters except for their final POVs.
That is a really bad idea. For one, even if you have no interest in the things that go on in ADWD, know that the climax of Meereen was clearly left out. In WoW when it comes out, if you skipped all that shit, you will definitely be missing out. Also, the last 2 chapters of Daenerys are fucking awesome, no matter what you think about the rest.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Read the fuckin' books. People over-exaggerate shit to such a retarded degree. Folks cried so fucking much about the turtle thing in the river that took up a few paragraphs over two chapters of a thousand page book. 416,000 word book, LETS CRY FOR PAGE AFTER PAGE ABOUT 200 OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

Just such a stupid fucking thing to latch on to.

Gask

That is a really bad idea. For one, even if you have no interest in the things that go on in ADWD, know that the climax of Meereen was clearly left out. In WoW when it comes out, if you skipped all that shit, you will definitely be missing out. Also, the last 2 chapters of Daenerys are fucking awesome, no matter what you think about the rest.
You are right, I did forget about the arena chapter and that was quite good. But really, everything else of any import can be easily summed up in a few sentences without reading through the excessively repetitive dithering/arguments at Mereen/Wall.

Danny loves Dario oh so much (her advisors are unhappy about that). She locks her "children" in a dark pit and wrings her hands over it from time to time. A prince of Dorne arrives to offer her support to retake the Iron Throne but alas it is too late as she is pledged to another and has her people to consider. So she marries a local noble to solidify her reign in Mereen and to stop the revenge killings on the freed men (she doesn't like him & hes into boys). Que the arena and the unresolved poisoning of Belwas.

Anything of any real tactical value concerning the siege can be gleaned from Bariston The Bold's PoV.

Jon needs to act to save mankind, this includes the wildlings. Thus he must open wide the gates to them and somehow feed them. No one else on the wall is keen with the idea and they bring it up every chapter but Jon isn't interested in their concerns. He sends some ships to a ruin north of the wall to save a large group of wildlings but fails at great cost to their ships due to a storm. Learning of Bolton's claims of holding his sister he sends the King beyond the wall (who everyone else but the red witch thinks is dead) in disguise to go rescue her.

To feed the wildlings through the winter he cuts a deal with a Bravosi Banker and they are admitted to the wall to help fight the white walkers. Jon meddles with some Karstark family intrigue and marries their runaway heir to a Magnar of Thenn in the hopes of fostering unity and gaining allies. Jon's plot to save his sister is discovered by Bolton who then sends Jon a provocative demand laced with threats. Jon reacts badly, breaks his oaths very publicly and things blow up in his face as a result.

I don't think I missed very much.

But really do as you like, I don't know why I posted above aside from the memory of how bummed out I was after reading book 5. There's no reason to be overly negative though, enjoy it for what it is. Lets look forward to the fireworks in book 6.

Edit: Added summary examples in spoiler.

I'm reading, I don't have time like I use to when I would read three or four books a week but I can probably finish the series in a month or two.

Just used my free 50 dollar coupon thing and downloaded all five of the books to my tablet. I gotta be careful with ordering too much shit though, don't want to get drunk and wake up the next morning with a thousand dollar bill xD

Fyro

Golden Squire
You are right, I did forget about the arena chapter and that was quite good. But really, everything else of any import can be easily summed up in a few sentences without reading through the excessively repetitive dithering/arguments at Mereen/Wall.
Actually in can be summed up in two words, "Dumbledore dies."

Reading just to find out what happens at the end is like playing video games (single player offline) and cheating to jump straight to kill the end boss. It's not the final outcome that matters, but the ride on the way there. If you are going to read the books, then read the fucking books. I bet you skipped the songs / poetry in Tolkien as well. Who's Tom Bombadil, who the fuck cares? Amiright???

Gask

I bet you skipped the songs / poetry in Tolkien as well. Who's Tom Bombadil, who the fuck cares? Amiright???
Tom Bombadil was a remarkably magical little man who lived near to the shire with a wondrous and beautiful lady who helped our erstwhile hobbits on the first leg of their epic adventure. The removal of him and the barrow wights from the first movie was a real let down.

Comparing things like the above to what happened in Dance however is just absurd as this LoTR adventure was well written and very entertaining. The bulk of Jon and Danny's PoV's on the other hand were not, as they consisted mainly of a set of patterns being unimaginatively repeated for a great many chapters (there was no journey to enjoy just an education in literary foot dragging). To make a fictional LoTR equivalent: Frodo and Sam need to leave Toms cabin but they are not sure how they can do so as things are complicated and scary. So JRRT stuffs half of the first book rehashing these concerns over and over before they finally step out of the door... to be continued! Thank god he didn't.

I appreciate good writing and a well crafted story, I do not enjoy needless bloat and circumlocutious nonsense. His first 4 books led me to believe that I would not encounter these things and so I was a bit sad after reading the 5th. Anyway books 1-4 and some parts of 5 are a pure delight that I have reread several times. I didn't mind Feast oddly, I thought it was well written despite how he reduced the scope of the story from battles and overt maneuvering to more personal character interaction.

Well I suppose that I've overly explained my apparent heresy and point of view by this point so you can take it or leave it.