A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not familiar with the crippled god thing, but I never really got the impression that we are going to be seeing whatever the driving force behind everything is.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I predict the final chapter of the last book will be a "choose your own adventure" where you assume the role of one of the last living characters and:

a) become omnipotent, taking control of the Others and using them to rebuild the war ravaged land,
b) sacrifice yourself to simultaneously wipe out the Others, forever ending the threat to Westeros,
c) say fuck it and let the world get ravaged.

*edit* and in actuality, the only difference between the endings will be the color of paper each is printed on.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not familiar with the crippled god thing, but I never really got the impression that we are going to be seeing whatever the driving force behind everything is.
Don't click if you plan on reading the Malazan series:

In the earlier books, the Crippled God is setup as the main antagonist of the series. He's not necessarily the main antagonist of each book, but he can be seen pulling almost all the strings. He's kind of a spiteful douchebag, perhaps rightfully so. But the narrative is hinted at that "we're going to get this guy!". The last 2 books do a 180 and almost paint him as a "awww, that poor guy, he was just misunderstood". And it ends with an anti-climactic mercy killing that needed to be done anyway and leaves you wondering why they didn't just do that before.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just started Malazan, will not click.

My wife just read the last Jon Snow chapter in ADWD, I had to dodge a book. I later explained the big theory and she calmed down, but jesus I almost lost an eye.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just started Malazan, will not click.

My wife just read the last Jon Snow chapter in ADWD, I had to dodge a book. I later explained the big theory and she calmed down, but jesus I almost lost an eye.
I got to book 4 in the malazan series and found the writing style and plot jumps too jarring, especially going into it with an expectation of GRRM's writing. I'm sure Deathwing can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like every other book was a one-off novel following an as-yet-unseen character (or set of characters) in a completely different part of the world. If they had tie-ins to the original characters they were loose and not obvious, to me at least.

Anyway, I was pretty put off by it and didn't pick the series back up again after reading the first couple chapters in book 4. The larger-than-life demi-god characters and immortals were more-or-less interesting, but I'm more of a subtle-fantasy fan than "everyone has a magic hammer that can form entire mountain ranges with each strike" fantasy fan.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Lots of new characters every book, characters coming back that haven't been around for 3+ books, character showing up with little to no backstory. That's Erikson's writing style. I wouldn't say they are one-off books. Every book is related to the overall plot of the Crippled God, it's just really complex. If you stick with it, book 5 goes about 15 years and to another (new)continent. But! You get to meet Tehol and Bugg who are really fun to read.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Text a friend sent me about 5-6 books in to Malazan.

LV5dZiP.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm actually not reading but listening to the audiobooks.. some of the stuff is a bit jarring and I had to look up the list of characters because I had no idea what the guy kept saying. Kept hearing "tattasel", and "perrin". Made a whole lot more sense after.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Should have colored it based on what faction the person who died was in instead of the book!

Bodger

Silver Knight of the Realm
Read the princess and the queen, it's not very entertaining, just an info dump.
Very interested in this, did you find somewhere to download it or did you buy the whole dangerous women short stories book thing?