A Song of Ice and Fire (Released Spoilers)

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Instead of reading the books for the 4th time (FFC twice, DWD only once), I've decided to finally get around to hearing Roy Dotrice's audio book version while driving to/from work every day.

Something I had never caught: Mirri Maz Dur was trained by Marwyn. INTERESTING........

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
That tier grouping isn't bad. Like others, I really enjoyed anything relating to Davos and I would drop Cat down. Also, I know we don't get much of them, but the Barriston chapters are so bad ass they deserve mention. Really a highlight of aDWD.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Barristan is awesome, I wish he became a POV earlier. Brienne ended up disappointing for me because not only was she never anywhere near finding the Stark girls, now she is also leading my Wakandan Jaimie into a trap.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Fuck yeah Barristan.

Ser Barristan turned with him. ?This coward is about to kill you, ser.?

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 885). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My take on it is that Littlefinger is going to win it all because he is GRRM's favorite character, and maybe even the character he based on himself. He seems to get such a chub from dicking over his readers that I honestly don't see Danaerys surviving to sit on the Iron Throne, or maybe she gets manipulated into a marriage with Littlefinger, or something else equally retarded.

GRRM is basically a pissed off dungeon master running his first campaign. His narrative style can be boiled down to 'rocks fall, everyone dies'

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I'm surethesehave been posted before but i don't feel like reading this entire thread.

It's a collection of essays that analyze the plots of ADWD. Specifically it compares Dany's plot arc to Jon's, how they are basically the same, they are similar characters with similar morals facing similar challenges. Except Dany makes a difference choice than Jon which results in Dany ultimately prevailing and Jon snow dying.

I had similar feelings to Dany's chapters as the writer here, thus I didn't hate on Dany's DWD chapters as much as most readers did. Specifically about the unreliable narrator and that the shavepate = Littlefinger-esque character. I never connected it to Jon though or thought about what Jon was doing and how he was basically pulling a Ned/Robb/etc, but after reading that analysis I realized that they are similar and think that the writer is on to something.

I've always been of the opinion (and have voiced it here and other GoT related threads) that Jon is dead, dead, and doubt he is coming back. Mostly just cus GRRM is a troll, but I think it fits the story better. Actions have consequences.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's going to be really hard for people to not flip through all the new book to see if their is a Jon chapter. But yeah I've always thought he is gone for real.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I don't see how you could possibly think he is gone for real. The red priests bringing people back to life has been shown multiple times and Melisandre is right there. It was a dumb fake cliffhanger, just as easily dismissed as the idea that Brienne was actually killed in book 4.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I kind of hope he is dead even though I like Jon. All the resurrecting shenanigans ruins things.

Xasten_sl

shitlord
If he does come back (which, let's be honest, he probably will), I hope he's really messed up from the experience. Victarion's hand is now charred and black, UnCat is a whole heap of nasty, and so on. I'll be really disappointed if he just get back up like nothing happened.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
In the series, that scene in season 3, where Meli meets up with Thoros, and gets Gendry, was really more just setting up some exposition on Melisandre learning that the kiss/rez works now, so she can use it later on our boy JS.

Plus, every time Melisandre looks in to the fire and asks to see AA, she sees snow.

JS gon' die, warg into ghost, get rezzed, warg back, and be a bro

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I thought Brienne might have been dead. Who knows? It isn't like it is the first time Martin has killed off a popular character. But I don't believe for a second that Jon is dead.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
One essay from that link Sylas posted goes into detail about how his character might be changed from a resurrection. It's an interesting read. As to whether he's really dead or not, I would be happy either way, but from the clues (the prologue chapter, melissandre's prophecy and her proximity, him saying "ghost") he's probably coming back.

Brienne is luring Jaime back to Stoneheart by lying about Sansa.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My take on it is that Littlefinger is going to win it all because he is GRRM's favorite character, and maybe even the character he based on himself. He seems to get such a chub from dicking over his readers that I honestly don't see Danaerys surviving to sit on the Iron Throne, or maybe she gets manipulated into a marriage with Littlefinger, or something else equally retarded.

GRRM is basically a pissed off dungeon master running his first campaign. His narrative style can be boiled down to 'rocks fall, everyone dies'
Hasn't he said a million times that Tyrion is his favorite?

Jait

Molten Core Raider

Any source for that? Sounds pretty retarded. RR Martin and Littlefinger have about as much in common as Jaime and Sean.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
LF is fucked. A major theme in the books is the raising of the stark kids to be heroes in their own respective fields. Arya is an assassin, Jon Snow is a warrior, Bran is a wizard. Robb was a leader but unlike the TV show didn't have much face time. Sansa is being groomed for being a dirty politician and will likely get to a point where she can gain Petyr's whole estate by killing him. Though honestly her development is so slow I wonder if she'll ever fit that role.

Chris

Potato del Grande
LF is fucked. A major theme in the books is the raising of the stark kids to be heroes in their own respective fields. Arya is an assassin, Jon Snow is a warrior, Bran is a wizard. Robb was a leader but unlike the TV show didn't have much face time. Sansa is being groomed for being a dirty politician and will likely get to a point where she can gain Petyr's whole estate by killing him. Though honestly her development is so slow I wonder if she'll ever fit that role.
If she marries Harrold "Arryn" then kills Littlefinger in the inevitable rape scene, she'll have The Vale and claims to The North and The Riverlands.