Abortion

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
This is a topic that I've been thinking about a lot lately and im interested in different perspectives and viewpoints.

My current stance is that abortion is absolutely acceptable in the case of rape or incest. I dont think that too many people will argue against that except the fundamentalist theists. The dangers and consequences of pregnancy should never be forced upon an unwilling participant. After that it gets more gray and complex. I believe that everyone should have the right of life. But when does that life begin? Conception? Birth? The moment a baby can live self sustained outside the womb? The moment the heart starts beating?

Is it something the government should even have a say in? I dont think so. Just because some people have an opinion that life starts at birth or whenever does not mean that it should be legislated.

Anyway, interested in hearing everyones opinion.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
I'm an atheist, but abortion is a sensitive topic for me, considering my spirituality.

Your views on abortion are contingent on when you believe life begins, whether you think it's ok if life is taken without pain / suffering, when you believe a being develops a consciousness, whether women have the absolute right to control what's in their body, etc. etc.

It's a complicated topic, and personally, I think it should be up to the woman. In the end, the woman needs to use her own moral perspective to make the decision because there is no "right" answer.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I'm a pragmatist, the world population recently passed 7,000,000,000, first trimester abortions should be free and easy to get. So should vasectomies.

Fuckin' Obama

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm conflicted, but pro-choice. I've flipped back and forth a few times in the last ten years.

I believe life begins at conception and believe that abortion has a hint of immorality in virtually all circumstances.

I also believe that women should have the right to choose.

Philosophically I wouldn't mind the federal government allowing each state to decide, but I don't think that'd end better than what we have now.

Pragmatically I agree with the Beagle, abortion is one of the best 'tools' for increasing the quality of society.

Finally I think the pro-life movement is misguided. If you want to reduce the number of abortions the best tools are:
1. Contraception (Which is against the rules of the core pro-life religion in the west, go figure)
2. Education (Which is undermined by the pro-life political party)
3. Mother and child support (Also undermined by the pro-life political party).

Overturning roe v wade isn't happening in this generation and it seems like the only options prolifers offer are making it harder to get an abortion, which is only galvanizing the prochoicers.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Since i dont have a vagina i feel i would be a hypocrite if i told other people what they could or couldnt do with thier vaginas.

I do not want to be a hypocrite.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'm conflicted, but pro-choice. I've flipped back and forth a few times in the last ten years.

I believe life begins at conception and believe that abortion has a hint of immorality in virtually all circumstances.

I also believe that women should have the right to choose.

Philosophically I wouldn't mind the federal government allowing each state to decide, but I don't think that'd end better than what we have now.

Pragmatically I agree with the Beagle, abortion is one of the best 'tools' for increasing the quality of society.

Finally I think the pro-life movement is misguided. If you want to reduce the number of abortions the best tools are:
1. Contraception (Which is against the rules of the core pro-life religion in the west, go figure)
2. Education (Which is undermined by the pro-life political party)
3. Mother and child support (Also undermined by the pro-life political party).

Overturning roe v wade isn't happening in this generation and it seems like the only options prolifers offer are making it harder to get an abortion, which is only galvanizing the prochoicers.
Spot on.

Tuco confirmed super liberal.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Tuco, the problem I have is how can you believe life begins at conception and in any way be pro choice? That's where I struggle. If you don't, I respect that, although I do differ in my opinion.

I think most people would be ok if we took the approach much of Europe does and outlawed abortions past 10 weeks. The problem isn't about finding compromise and middle ground, though, or even making abortions 'safe, legal, and rare'. It's about using abortion as a wedge issue to generate huge sums of money for ones political party, be it a 'war on women' or all those 'partial birth abortions'.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I think it is a decision to be made by a woman in consultation with their doctor at whatever stage of the pregnancy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco, the problem I have is how can you believe life begins at conception and in any way be pro choice? That's where I struggle. If you don't, I respect that, although I do differ in my opinion.

I think most people would be ok if we took the approach much of Europe does and outlawed abortions past 10 weeks. The problem isn't about finding compromise and middle ground, though, or even making abortions 'safe, legal, and rare'. It's about using abortion as a wedge issue to generate huge sums of money for ones political party, be it a 'war on women' or all those 'partial birth abortions'.
Like I said I'm conflicted and have changed my stance a few times. Personally the issue is so diverse and multi-faceted that it's hard for me to take a hard line stance on it. Besides how useful abortion has been to better society, the thing that tips me over is that it's the mother's choice.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I think women should be allowed to abort all they want, but each time they do their name should be recorded on a public registry, much like the sex offender registry.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Was pro life growing up, but when you start drinking and getting girls pregnant... eeehhhh, thoughts change. Now, I couldn't give a fuck. I only wish more idiots would abort their kids. A different topic and discussion for women though. Girlfriend had one a year or so ago - I haven't thought of it since really (until this thread), but I imagine she does. Would have made no sense keeping it though, and would have ruined our lives (and probably his/hers as well).

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Let women choose, but barring obvious situations (rape, health concerns, etc...) don't think it is something the tax dollars should be paying for. I guess that makes me pro-choice, but I personally do not agree with it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Would have made no sense keeping it though, and would have ruined our lives (and probably his/hers as well).
I ask this question in ignorance because I don't know your situation and your girlfriend might be a monster that likes eating her own spawns, but if you were born in a similar circumstances as you and your girl's theoretical baby would you think it'd be better if you were aborted?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not at all. But as a fetus, I wouldn't have known any better either. My parents also had me and my siblings when they were struggling financially - and its something I don't want to have to deal with (rather not have kids period, as the selfish individual I am). If we'd had the child, I know for almost a certainty my business and financial well being would be entirely different.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I was adopted at birth and I was born 8 months after Roe v. Wade was decided. I guess technically I could have been aborted, but it was a small town in the Bible Belt so there was probably still no access. So obviously I am glad I'm here, but at the same time I have been the proud papa of 3 abortions and have never felt more than a passing guilt about it. Maybe that makes me a sociopath, but what's done is done and tying myself into a knot thinking about what could have been seems like a colossal waste of time.