Abortion

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I was adopted at birth and I was born 8 months after Roe v. Wade was decided. I guess technically I could have been aborted, but it was a small town in the Bible Belt so there was probably still no access. So obviously I am glad I'm here, but at the same time I have been the proud papa of 3 abortions and have never felt more than a passing guilt about it. Maybe that makes me a sociopath, but what's done is done and tying myself into a knot thinking about what could have been seems like a colossal waste of time.
I don't think it makes you a sociopath (or me either for that matter) - Its pragmaticism. To go with the abortion, I've purchased maybe 20+ morning after pills as well - and its never really bothered me.

Again though, its easy to put it to the back of your mind as the guy. I don't understand women enough to know what they're thinking, but I've no doubt it effects them on an entirely different level.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think that not only should abortion be legal, but it should be legal up until the kid is 18. Maybe that would help keep some of these entitled shit-head kids in line...

In all seriousness though, I think Tuco hit the nail on the head. Rather than trying to decide if it is right or wrong, it would be nice if we could limit the need for it through education and access to contraception. If we could get to the point as a society where only the gray areas such as rape, incest or endangerment of the mothers life are the only circumstances in which an abortion is considered, I think we can reduce abortion down to almost a non-issue. Unfortunately the most vocal supports on either side of this issue have little interest in pursuing a course of action that could get us to that point.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
Sorry, I tend not to use the best words to express my opinions. What I'm trying to say is that I believe morality is based on decisions and actions that affect the future. These decisions and actions will cause a ripple that extends far into the future, etc. etc. hocus pocus. TLDWT (too long don't wanna type) point: I believe that a "life" begins at conception because if left alone, a "being" of some sort will come into fruition. The conscious act of abortion will end whatever life that is inevitable (barring natural death causes, etc.).

So having an abortion is eliminating the inevitable possibility of life for the zygote. Whether or not you define this as killing is up to you
frown.png

frown.png

fucker_sl

shitlord
simply answer this question: are you a chicken murderer whenever you cook an egg ?

because im pretty sure that a pubble of organic cell isnt a human being, and with an abortion you arent killing anyone. Telling you otherwise is another way to control and tell you that life comes from god

im talking before the 24th week of course. That the period when the brain is mostly formed and has the potential to become "alive" for real

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
simply answer this question: are you a chicken murderer whenever you cook an egg ?
1. Eggs you buy at the grocer are unfertilized.
2. If you cook and eat a fertilized egg then yes, you killed a chicken.
3. The definition of murder is "the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought" which means that killing a chicken isn't murder.
4. It might be a simple issue for you but it's not for me.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I was adopted at birth and I was born 8 months after Roe v. Wade was decided. I guess technically I could have been aborted, but it was a small town in the Bible Belt so there was probably still no access. So obviously I am glad I'm here, but at the same time I have been the proud papa of 3 abortions and have never felt more than a passing guilt about it. Maybe that makes me a sociopath, but what's done is done and tying myself into a knot thinking about what could have been seems like a colossal waste of time.
Very nice.

fucker_sl

shitlord
1. Eggs you buy at the grocer are unfertilized.
2. If you cook and eat a fertilized egg then yes, you killed a chicken.
3. The definition of murder is "the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought" which means that killing a chicken isn't murder.
4. It might be a simple issue for you but it's not for me.
1&2: so the very moment the male sperm fertilize the egg it magically becomes a full chicken for you? just off/on ? no period of transition? you know how much this sounds like creationism vs evolution right ?
3: i'm sure you noticed by other grammar errors that english is not my language
4: it's a simple issue if you don't bring spirituality and supernatural nosense in a discussion about biology. i'm sorry, but it's time we go past the idea that biologic life is some magical thing because following your logic, i suppose Terry Schiavo was alive too, right ?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1&2: so the very moment the male sperm fertilize the egg it magically becomes a chicken?
3: i'm sure you noticed by other grammar errore that english is not my language
4: it's a simple issue if you don't bring spirituality and supernatural nosense in a discussion about biology. i'm sorry, but it's time we go past the idea that biologic life is some magical thing

following your logic, i suppose Terry Schiavo was alive for you, right ?
1. Biology, eggs and chickens aren't magical. Neither are zygotes or embryos.
3. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. It's just that it's popular for people to abuse the word murder. Ex people who say that abortion is murder (It's not because abortion is legal).
3. There's no spirituality necessary for me to say that life begins at conception. I can respect it if you define life as beginning at birth or at the first trimester. But you have to define it at some point and I define it at conception.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally I think the pro-life movement is misguided. If you want to reduce the number of abortions the best tools are:
1. Contraception (Which is against the rules of the core pro-life religion in the west, go figure)
2. Education (Which is undermined by the pro-life political party)
3. Mother and child support (Also undermined by the pro-life political party).
My position is fairly straightforward but over the months I have gradually come to the position that I don't give a fuck what (the majority) of pro-lifers think because (the majority) of them don't give two shits about life after birth otherwise there wouldn't even need to be a discussion on abortion.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
My position is fairly straightforward but over the months I have gradually come to the position that I don't give a fuck what (the majority) of pro-lifers think because (the majority) of them don't give two shits about life after birth otherwise there wouldn't even need to be a discussion on abortion.
I have always found it down right comical that the most heated pro-life people are also the coldest meanest fucking people towards that child once it's actually born.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I believe 1st Trimester should be allowed and available to women at little to no expense or obtrusion. On that level I think it's a personal choice, but I do think society has a moral obligation to do what it can through policy to limit abortions by avoiding their necessity. lack of family planning, education, and poverty are all things that can be tackled to limit abortions without writing laws directly against it. In late pregnancy I think a fetus should receive protections and rights of a living person.

Even if you believe life begins at conception, the taking of life to achieve a desired outcome is not murder, it's one of the rough decisions that we are sometimes faced with in a world full of struggles. Euthanasia deals with the same issue, so does sending men to war.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Don't care about it and at this stage I think it's stupid to argue about. The anti-abortion crowd are on the wrong side of history, simple as that. Only point I think it relevant is that they really shouldn't be necessary that often. Contraception is really fucking cheap, make that shit as available as possible and educate the fuck out of idiot teenagers. It's stupid to go through some expensive medical procedure just because little Jimmy didn't wanna wear a rubber or Susan thought that she couldn't get pregnant if believed in Jesus really hard or whatever. Fuck off, dicks shouldn't go anywhere near vaginas unless that shit is wrapped/snipped or she's on the pill/implant, preferably both.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I believe 1st Trimester should be allowed and available to women at little to no expense or obtrusion. On that level I think it's a personal choice, but I do think society has a moral obligation to do what it can through policy to limit abortions by avoiding their necessity. lack of family planning, education, and poverty are all things that can be tackled to limit abortions without writing laws directly against it. In late pregnancy I think a fetus should receive protections and rights of a living person.
Does it blow your mind that the people against those things that would help lower abortion rates are vehemently pro-life and those that are pro-choice are the ones that would love for the policy changes you mentioned to help lower the abortion rates? It sure does blow my mind, you would think we could all agree on doing things that would help lower the abortion rate but for some reason once the child is born the pro-life people couldn't give two fucks about that child.

iannis

Musty Nester
I am not a supporter of elective abortions either in fact or in theory -- but if I had a teenage daughter and she got caught I very well might tell her it was an option. Or I might not. I suppose that makes me a hypocrite. I don't care that much. It is what it is.

My stance has also softened as I age. I'm content to leave it to the woman to decide, even when I disapprove of the decision. They're right. It's not my body.

Can honestly say as a pregnant lady that my views on abortion haven't changed one bit.

I don't think it should be used as a form of birth control. However, due to the fact that this country, as evidenced clearly by this last election, much like the gun control debate (although unlike gun control its very clearly just one side going full retard instead of both), can't have a serious fucking conversation about how inhumane it would be to force a 12 year old girl to bear her father's child and that that decision should be between her, her doctor, and whatever god she subscribes to, I'm pro choice.

Pro life asshattery in this country makes me pro choice. If the womans life is in danger or incest or rape is at issue, back the motherfuck off. You get ZERO say. Its between the mother, her doctor, and god. Period. Until this country is willing to have that mentality, I'm going to choose to protect the rights of living, breathing women over unborn children. Until that day comes, my PERSONAL OPINIONS aren't going to dictate the lives of others, especially in light of the fact that the same people bitching about how black babies are an endangered species are the FIRST to talk about black welfare queens.

And don't get me started on the fact that the same states who want it 100% criminalized also have laws on the books saying that if your pregnant wife is hit by a drunk driver that you can't recover for the loss of the unborn child (wrongful death etc) because the child wasn't born alive and the state wants to be a hard ass on 'tort reform' and those out of control lawyers. Can't have it both ways faggots.