Affluenza

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Usually I'd reserve this for the WTF thread but I think this deserves it's own.

'Affluenza' in Texas incites anger, lawsuits and call for jail time - latimes.com

Its literally the practice of saying because you are wealthy you don't have to go to jail, not even the buy your way out defense, but using it as the context of your defense.

I agree that the kid doesn't understand consequences very well, which is why he should spend 20 years in jail, Then he can appreciate what consequences his actions brought about.

The judge needs to be disbarred and sent to prison, and investigated for corruption.

The psychologist should be publicly lambasted for appreciating that the kid didn't understand the consequences, and conversely saying because he didn't he shouldn't suffer for it. How do you
teach consequences without using the correct punishment for them?

There should be a lot of public outrage for this I'd think.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Even if they get every dime from his family, that's trading lives for money. That's like German Wergild or something nuts, honestly the Judge infuriates me the most. He is the god damn single expectation of integrity, he needs to go to prison with the kid at this point--there's no way around it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Certainly one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. Texas is a fucking train wreck. No integrity anywhere.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
rrr_img_54933.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Iirc the same judge put away a black teenager for 15+ years for a similar crime. Fun story all around.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I believe the proper punishment would be to let the victim's families each take one shot at running the kid over with a truck. Only one try each, though.

Drinking optional.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Unless you have never driven drunk in your life, especially as a teen I don't want to hear all this pontification.

Family is going to lose all their money, and the kid gets one chance, just one chance to turn his life around or he goes to jail. And he's the one who has to live with all this. I think for some reason people go around assuming he's smug and happy for getting off.

Says more about those people than him. It's justice, not vengeance.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I remember on the news when this story broke they mentioned that as he ran from the crash scene leaving his friends to die or get arrested or whatever, he yelled back "I'm Ethan Couch I'll get you out of this!" or something. Who knows if that really happened. idk, if he had been poor and black that shit definitely would not have gone down. This definitely was not justice.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Unless you have never driven drunk in your life, especially as a teen I don't want to hear all this pontification.

Family is going to lose all their money, and the kid gets one chance, just one chance to turn his life around or he goes to jail. And he's the one who has to live with all this. I think for some reason people go around assuming he's smug and happy for getting off.

The very defense is that he doesn't understand what he fucking did. You're saying he has to live it down they're saying (his defense) he doesn't have to because he doesn't understand what that fucking means.

Plus fuck you, Justice is a fake word as I've explained a million times.

Seriously wtf dude? Who gives two shits whether or not they've personally driven drunk? The issue here is any of us that would have been caught doing what he did would be rotting in prison right now. You take risks you pay the price if those risks don't pan out in your favor. His consequence was taken away by a retarded judge who wants to salvage his life. Too bad 4 innocent people and their families don't get a second chance to salvage their lives. This kid deserves death, plain and simple.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
This kid deserves death, plain and simple.
Death seems a bit extreme. Assuming intent matters, he didn'tintendto kill anyone, though he callously endangered the lives of everyone around him by knowingly driving drunk. I'd guess somewhere between 10-30 years in prison is appropriate, depending on how he handles himself both now and during his prison stay (assuming he got the sentence he deserved).

I hope the kid's family is financially crippled by the settlements. The environment that fostered his behavior is insane. His father gave him a secluded home to live in by himself, a car 3 years before he could drive, and money to buy drugs and booze. Sick fuck.

Also, not only did he kill 4 people trying to change a tire, he seriously injured 2 of the passengers in his truck. One has a serious brain injury an has been in a coma since the accident. To have no actual consequence for this (a few years in a spa isn't a consequence) is the absolute worst message society could possibly send to someone like this.

crimsonsin_sl

shitlord
How the fuck does driving drunk not immediately give you the idea that he would kill someone? Drunk driving isnt illegal because you might only get into a fender bender, it's illegal because a vehicle is also a several thousand pounds of fast moving violent death if operated improperly. Screw intent, burn this kid at the fucking stake.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It's retarded and I can't believe how swept to the side this shit is. The judge needs to go to prison, she can't be allowed to get away with this bull shit.