Affluenza

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Its a way to serve less jail time. Max time he can serve is until he turns 19. So by fighting the extradition charge it buys him more time off from jail. Doesn't matter if he pisses off the system if everything is reset when he turns 19.

The mom on the other hand could spend 2-10 years so better co-operate as much as possible at this point.
I thought they were moving it to normal criminal court?

Also, what if the state just delays the court proceeding so he turns 19 and then it transfers jurisdiction to normal court?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think it's been moved yet but they are trying to get it out of juvenile

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I thought they were moving it to normal criminal court?

Also, what if the state just delays the court proceeding so he turns 19 and then it transfers jurisdiction to normal court?
Its the age of when the crime was committed that matters, not when it goes to trial.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They've acted like his family is Bill Gates and Trump rich. I read today his dad owns a $15 million per year sheet metal shop. Ummm OK. Profit margins in something like that are a lot lower than retail and electronics and such.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
They've acted like his family is Bill Gates and Trump rich. I read today his dad owns a $15 million per year sheet metal shop. Ummm OK. Profit margins in something like that are a lot lower than retail and electronics and such.
Yea, but they probably net 500-1mil a year. Thats still a lot by any measure.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Considering the current average for the US is like 50,000 (lets pretend 60,000) adding a zero to that is a pretty gigantic increase. Guy is well off. Not a billionaire, but compared to the vast majority of the nation he's incredibly well off.

Borzak

Yea, but they probably net 500-1mil a year. Thats still a lot by any measure.
For him? Possibly. Our president in a $450 million a year company doesn't make $1 million a year. Maybe sheetmetal is different. Our materials eat up the biggest bulk of the gross.

But the media makes it sound like he's a mega rich mogul. Not even close.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
For him? Possibly. Our president in a $450 million a year company doesn't make $1 million a year. Maybe sheetmetal is different. Our materials eat up the biggest bulk of the gross.

I'm assuming they 100% own this sheet metal company. Does the president of your company own that company 100%?

Borzak

No, but I owned 85% of the company I owned before I sold it back to the original owner. I never made $1 million in a year and we netted a lot more than $15 million per year. We could have a change of materials request and change alloys and the net would change from $25 to $15 million for that year alone for the same exact labor etc...

I'm not saying he wasn't well off. But the media makes him out to be just under Trump like.

I don't know. You might make a lot more on sheetmetal or importing crap from China and selling it retail.

I assume you make pretty decent as an attorney and you hinted about how much before. I assume if you got a raise of 2-3x what you make now you wouldn't be able to cart your family off to Mexico for an indefinite period after pulling "strings". Just doesn't add up but I feel we're only getting part of the story.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He'll probably get another slap on the wrist
" If Couch continues in juvenile court, he could face a maximum of four months of confinement for the deadly crash as a result of the probation violation. "

That's some mighty slap.

Does it matter if they're in the top 1% or top 2% that much? They can afford a lawyer that will keep this in juvenile court. That's all that matters at this point.

Plus we don't know if they have any other sources of income. Rich people aren't rich because of their day job most of the time.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

To be fair, the fucking kid's lawyer used the defense that he was too privileged to understand that driving drunk or killing people is a no-no. I mean, the media may be playing it up, but the family basically used "being rich" as the excuse for why their kid sucks.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
" If Couch continues in juvenile court, he could face a maximum of four months of confinement for the deadly crash as a result of the probation violation. "

That's some mighty slap.

Does it matter if they're in the top 1% or top 2% that much? They can afford a lawyer that will keep this in juvenile court. That's all that matters at this point.

Plus we don't know if they have any other sources of income. Rich people aren't rich because of their day job most of the time.
I am puzzled how he even got 10 years of probation if at the time the longest he could be held was his 19th birthday. What would be the point of any probation after that period of time as apparently he could not go to jail. Funny thing kid should have just stated in the US contested the video. He has enough lawyers he probably could have BS'ed his way past it and even if not a few months in jail is not that huge of a deal. Ironically his mom is probably going to be the one that does actual jail time. Perhaps that is a life lesson for her that she should have instilled better judgement in her offspring.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This whole thing seems too high profile to give him a slap on the wrist again.

We would've never heard of this case if his lawyers hadn't created Affluenza

moontayle

Golden Squire
I like how badly they fucked this up. If you see any movie or tv show ever about someone trying to hide from the police the first thing they do is start using burn phones. Idiots.

Borzak

I think the only choice they have is 4 months tops in prison and then after that he can face "up to" 40 years if he violcated probation again.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
I am puzzled how he even got 10 years of probation if at the time the longest he could be held was his 19th birthday. What would be the point of any probation after that period of time as apparently he could not go to jail. Funny thing kid should have just stated in the US contested the video. He has enough lawyers he probably could have BS'ed his way past it and even if not a few months in jail is not that huge of a deal. Ironically his mom is probably going to be the one that does actual jail time. Perhaps that is a life lesson for her that she should have instilled better judgement in her offspring.
Since they initially blamed his parents for his behavior his parents should have been locked up right away instead.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Since they initially blamed his parents for his behavior his parents should have been locked up right away instead.
I mean, Negligent Entrustment is a thing. If the owner of a vehicle entrusted it to someone they knew was out of control/etc then they can be sued/charged as well. Surprised that hasn't come up actually.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What about laws where someone's out of control dog hurts or kills someone?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
No, but I owned 85% of the company I owned before I sold it back to the original owner. I never made $1 million in a year and we netted a lot more than $15 million per year. We could have a change of materials request and change alloys and the net would change from $25 to $15 million for that year alone for the same exact labor etc...

I'm not saying he wasn't well off. But the media makes him out to be just under Trump like.

I don't know. You might make a lot more on sheetmetal or importing crap from China and selling it retail.

I assume you make pretty decent as an attorney and you hinted about how much before. I assume if you got a raise of 2-3x what you make now you wouldn't be able to cart your family off to Mexico for an indefinite period after pulling "strings". Just doesn't add up but I feel we're only getting part of the story.
Well I looked up their property addresses and values and my house is worth almost double what their "second house a.k.a. the burleson mansion" AND their main house put together are worth. So... not Donald Trump indeed..