Age of Wonders: Planetfall

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just learned about this tonight, though it's been public for damn near a year now - guess we're slacking here on FoH. Based upon the Age of Wonder franchise, which is fantasy, it's not a reskinned AoW:3, but a nice (looks like) iteration on it. For those not familiar with AoW games, think Civ-lite with tactical combat (auto-resolve included, of course, though not as fun). As this is their foray into sci-fi for the series, I guess you'd compare it more to Alpha Centauri, for us old farts.

Release date not announced, other than "2019".

Basic FAQ at Paradox's forums:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-faq.1121388/

First look video, 27 min:

Same video, but the 1.5 hour version:

Going to be a for sure pick up for me. I still play AoW3 - have a game I'm in the middle of right now. I was very impressed with Triumph Studios (creator of AoW franchise) re: AoW3, as after release, bugs we submitted were taken care of fairly fast, and they even went back and added new game settings a bunch of us were agitating for (increased tech research time and stuff, so you weren't done with tech 20% through a game). Paradox bought them afterwards, so not sure the devs still interact as much, but they have certainly garnered good will.

Civ franchise chased me away with Civ5, and Stellaris is well, Stellaris. I tried Total War: Warhammer 2, but I just couldn't do it. Battletech had (imo) a great release but fizzled out pretty fast for me. But I find myself still playing AoW3 sometimes, so I guess that says something (good I hope).

• 5Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
looks cool, here is the steam link so people can add it to their wishlist

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
Wrong franchise

-

Also, anyone interested in this should check out Age of Wonders 3 and its DLC that came out a couple years ago. Quality games and they often go on sale.

Agreed. Was lucky enough to get the full package (3xDLC) in a Steam sale last year for $12.50 USD. At that price it was a steal.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
After watching those videos, and checking out the dev diaries, this game is really ticking all the boxes for me.

Really liking the aesthetics/art direction, and look forward to seeing much more of the biome and planet types, hopefully as release approaches.

Significant engine upgrades from AoW3 - Dev Diary #4: Creator Engine 4.0 and full mod support at launch apparently. Getting a bit pumped!

velk

Trakanon Raider
Ok, this one took me from very interested to buy.

Looks like they have mixed in a lot of xcom ( the new one ) influences to the existing age of wonders and I love the bizarre insanity of the races*, with that power armor guy smashing through cars to hit things with his rocket hammer lol.

*The amazons are even more insane than these guys - heavy gatling-laser cavalry dinosaurs ? haha.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This looks pretty great, hearing positive things already from reviewers but NDA doesn't drop until tomorrow I think

• 1Like

OneofOne

Damn times flies. Picking this up for sure. Too bad I have plans Tuesday =/

OneofOne

Available for DL in less than 10 hours. GoG has it - go through them if you'd prefer to skip Steam.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Saw this video and sounds like there's some performance issues. Probably wait to pick it up to see if it gets some early patches to clean things up.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Played through the tutorial before work. Good stuff.

I felt bad for the bugs though - they give you an absolutely overwhelming force - if you fail the tutorial you should feel bad.

Took entirely too long designing the appearance for my campaign character, out of time 8(.

OneofOne

Been enjoying it so far. I did have to turn graphic settings down a touch due to lag on the main map, but I was also playing during work, and had several other programs running, as well as a browser hemoraging page tabs, so I'll bump them up again later and see if that was the issue.

It takes a minute to get used to maps being created with pre-defined sectors, so you can't simply plop a city wherever you want. Has a feeling of a space TBS in that sense. So much more to learn than in AoW: 3.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
How is it playing? I want a new turn based....I've been burned many times in the past and wanted some informed feedback before I grab it.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks good. They gave away AoW 3 free on steam not long ago. Haven't had a chance to play 3 but I liked AoW 1. Will pick this up eventually I'm sure.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I just finished the tutorial after about an hour. I think this game is going to be good. Just the tutorial had me hooked with the battles and management. It's like two games in one like 75% of a civ game and 75% of xcom. You can mod your hero troops and also your minion troops. Going to start the main campaign and see were it goes from there.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah the game looked good and I loved AoW3, just kinda waiting on patches and to feel like I want to spend time on it before I buy it.