Age of Wonders: Planetfall

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Had not played an AoW before but picked this up and have been playing Multiplayer Online with a buddy. Quite fun especially with the simultaneous turns.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This is looking awesome after the first hour. Xcom + Civilization is right. Probably the best controls on ps4 I've seen for this type of game.

Only minor complaint so far is lack of colorblind modes/changing hex colors.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm going to end up putting 1000 hours into this game. Hopefully they sell enough to support a lot of DLC

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I didn't think this game would be this good. It's all I've been playing the last couple of days

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I can tell I'm going to end up abusing the auto-resolve battle about as much as I abuse fast travel in skyrim.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Been playing this quite a bit the last few days. They've already had 2 patches in less than a week, which have addressed the only 2 bugs I've personally seen (and a lot more I haven't). But this is what I expected from them after being around for the release of AoW3.

Tech tree isn't terribly long, so I'll probably slow research down in game settings from here on out (we had a similar complaint in AoW3, which is why this feature exists). Don't think I ever had to wait more than 4-5 turns max for a tech that was next in line, so to speak. There are no "eras" in which particular research owns. At least you can research the racial tech of everyone else, once you are done with research, but it's at the original tech prices, so that doesn't last long (and the first 3-4 of each race you can do in the first turn after you're done with your own, since you're pumping out way more research/turn than a turn 1 tech takes).

Similarly, I've already turned off all winning conditions, as they seem too easy to get. I'll win by stomping all (or lose the same way). It's the only way to play TBS.

Started as Vanguard to try the game out. Going to try Amazons next time - they look like fun. Also have the only terraforming tech I've seen so far. Looking forward to a DLC that'll include colonies in water.

Just having a lot of fun over all. Sleep has not been good this week. Just... one... more... turn...

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
There's a lot of little QOL features that really make me love this game, in addition to all of the big features.

I've only played a couple quick scenarios to ~50 turns and haven't seen any battles bigger than 3 armies each, but the Amazons seems a little OP so far. Anyone else feel the same? I like playing the Assembly the most so far.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I'm still trying to beat the first campaign mission. I think I suck at this game.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Picked this up today and Im having fun. The AI is really bad at the 'normal' level of difficulty though. Like there is no situation where it should be doing something like this.

Untitled.png

on that note, I hate how the game defaults to rezzing your heroes for free if you do auto combat.

OneofOne

Some of the NPCs do simulate being mindless attackers, while others only attack if they have a decent chance of winning. I've won fights before that still set my plans back a little.

I feel you on the rezzing thing, but you can turn it off. I rec going through the settings if you haven't yet, just to see what there is.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the diplomacy in this game, but the more I play, the more I think I like it, as it seems very transparent, and I'm not left wondering why someone hate me. It also gives you a real reason to go out and claim land even if you can't colonize it yet, just so you don't get the hate bump for later settling next to land someone else owns.

iannis

Musty Nester
Aow has always been a quirky franchise. A decent franchise though.

I always got a homm vibe from it with the way you built cities.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Man I must be stupid or something but every time I declare war on somebody and move my armies towards one of their cities I can't ever get both of my armies to attack at same time (in spite of having both armies on tiles right next to city) - yet when they invade my shit they always have 2+ armies, in a single battle lighting me up. Any ideas?

Otherwise, pretty fun 4X game. Loving all the races, struggling to pick a favorite - only one I really don't enjoy that much is syndicate, but the zombie cyborgs, amazons, and space dwarfs are all really well done.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Anyone playing this on PS4? How does it run? Got me some eb credit I want to use. Anyone using a controller on this?

• 1Solidarity

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man I must be stupid or something but every time I declare war on somebody and move my armies towards one of their cities I can't ever get both of my armies to attack at same time (in spite of having both armies on tiles right next to city) - yet when they invade my shit they always have 2+ armies, in a single battle lighting me up. Any ideas?

Otherwise, pretty fun 4X game. Loving all the races, struggling to pick a favorite - only one I really don't enjoy that much is syndicate, but the zombie cyborgs, amazons, and space dwarfs are all really well done.

Its a hex grid, as long as they are in an adjacent hex to the area being attacked they should be included. Maybe you are leaving an army behind the one you are attacking with and therefor not adjacent to the city?

There is one exception to that in those special sector zones where you have to hit enter before fighting. They limit you to 1 group.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anyone playing this on PS4? How does it run? Got me some eb credit I want to use. Anyone using a controller on this?
I bought it on PS4. I haven't made it past 65 turns yet so no huge armies, but I haven't had any performance issues yet.

I honestly think this is the best console controls on a 4k/RTS/TBS that I've played yet. A controller is never going to be as good as KB+Mouse for these games, but they did a really good job with the console controls on Planetfall.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Its a hex grid, as long as they are in an adjacent hex to the area being attacked they should be included. Maybe you are leaving an army behind the one you are attacking with and therefor not adjacent to the city?

There is one exception to that in those special sector zones where you have to hit enter before fighting. They limit you to 1 group.

Does this work against cities only, or can I double team armies in open world?

Gracias!

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It works against armies, too. As far as I know it works against everything other than the special structures that you can send a single team into.

Armies need to be touching the defender though, not the attacking army.

• 1Like

OneofOne

^^ Easy way to think of it - anyone touching the hex being attacked gets to join in (in AoW3 this included those in an alliance, I assume same here). Those special structures are like dungeons (AoW3 had a shit ton more per map) where only 1 group can go. It's a way to make some land neutral for a good while, until tech catches up to be able to take them out. Should have some decent loot inside too.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Haha cheers, man I've been f'ing around too much then and should have easily been winning more of these battles. Going to reroll (7th time!) tonight when I get home and probably go Vanguard while I'm getting the hang of that.

• 1Like