Age of Wonders: Planetfall

velk

Trakanon Raider
Some thoughts on Vanguard guys

Trooper - great standard soldier guy, overwatch, good health, good range and great scaling with cheap mods. One of the better t1 units.

PUG - great support, although not so much for the vanguard troops themselves, but more for commanders. Resupply charge allows all sorts of OP shenanigans with the various commander equipment, and obscure is a huge boost to survivability on a strong unit. The heal is useful, if inflexible, and the gun is pretty trash but at least you can get the occasional finisher off.

Engineer - not a fan of these guys in general - using the shotgun is a good way to get killed, and the AI will be more than happy to do that for you in auto-combat. The turret seems decent in theory, but in practice the short range and fixed location often rendered it pretty ineffective for me. Sure he can heal your tank, but as far as I can tell, there's no circumstance where you would not want another tank instead.

Gunship - fast armored flyer with missiles and repeating cannon. Fantastic unit all around, never underestimate the power of being able to run rings around your opponent movement speed wise.

Laser Tank - Mmm laser tanks are a glorious thing. No AOE but a nice mix of toughness, evasion, solid range dps and a whomping huge artillery strike. Also not 24 speed, fucking 24 speed units.

Walker - The walker mechs are ok, but in general use are just flatly inferior to laser tanks. There's a few places where a rocket attack could be handy, but you have to suffer slow movement and crappy armor to bring it - it's weird these guys are so high up the tech tree when Vanguard doesn't get explosives tech. Plus, if you want explosions that badly, equip your tanks with missile arrays ;p

Drone Carrier - I found to be a disappointment. The healing drones are obviously great, but the skirmish and laser drones are just pointless chaff - maybe if it could launch all of them at the same time or something, but as it is, the carrier either walks up and pretends to be a shitty tank, or spends 4 turns doing nothing in the backrow while it summons random garbage that mostly serves to chain arc attacks onto your useful units.

I think that, weirdly enough, the Vanguard strengths are in heavy armor, specifically laser tanks and gunships. Troopers are a great starter unit, and scale really well with mods, but the cosmite cost of keeping them relevant becomes unnattractive compared to production 5 tanks etc.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
New patch - Age of Wonders: Planetfall update for September 5, 2019 · Age of Wonders Planetfall v1.006

Among many changes/fixes/nerfs, the two I most care about:
- The selected stack will now be remembered when zooming out to the orbital map and reselected when you zoom back in.
- Colonizers now have scaling costs. The first colonizer costs 50 energy, 20 cosmite and 100 production. For each colonizer you build the cost will increase by 100 energy and 10 cosmite.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I hate that colonizer change. I think i will pass on updating because of it.

making my way through the campaign and i really feel that the races just dont have enough distinction. they all generally play the exact same and the only mechanic that really feels different is xenoplague because you dont spam units through the normal production means.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I concur about the race issue. Game seems to suffer in the same way AoW 3 did initially, that it has a solid base, but needs more developement. That game had 3 DLCs that really fleshed it out and put it in a great spot, and unfortunately we may need to wait for something similar here. But that takes time.

Colonizer spamming was a legit issue and the most important thing early game is to just pop out as many as you can and take as much land as possible. Not sure this change is enough to change anything, but curious how it plays out.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Somewhere in the middle. I think it's worth full price, but I'll get my money's worth out of it over a few years, not a month.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
It's worth it to play through the campaign at least.

I'd wait until the next patch though, they'll be putting in a sector exploitation that allows you to teleport armies.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been playing this on Gamepass and it's pretty fun. I like sitting back and playing this on console so I'll probably game the base game+season pass.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How is this now? Worth picking up the DLC? I'm craving a solid strategy game and I really enjoy the AoW series, dating back to the original.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's on gamepass if you want to test it out.

Yeah, trying to install now, but I keep getting an "unable to connect to service" error from Microsoft. I downloaded 8/12gigs just fine and now I keep getting this error.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, trying to install now, but I keep getting an "unable to connect to service" error from Microsoft. I downloaded 8/12gigs just fine and now I keep getting this error.

I had a problem installing gamepass stuff until I went into Windows 10 settings. Search windows for "storage settings" and then click on change where new content is saved and then try switchintg "new apps" to a different drive.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I had a problem installing gamepass stuff until I went into Windows 10 settings. Search windows for "storage settings" and then click on change where new content is saved and then try switchintg "new apps" to a different drive.
A simple restart and going through the Windows Store instead of the Game Pass app fixed it.

Very fun game that had me up until 4am(4x style strategy games always do this to me). Considering purchasing it once it hits >50% discount, since the Game Pass experience is fucking awful. That UI is something out of 2008. I thought Origin was bad, but holy shit it can actually get worse..