Age of Wushu/Wulin - US Open Beta

tad10

Elisha Dushku
http://www.ageofwushu.com/

Weird 'closed but really open beta' - anyone who registers gets 10 hours of play then 60 minutes allocated daily thereafter? Not clear. Beta starts Dec 20th.

Game is FTP but looks like PTW (for example you get unlimited play during the Beta and get to keep your items if you buy the $19.99 Deluxe Retail Box ahead oftime) so fun for a couple of weeks then so long. Still it looks like it'd be amusing for a couple of weeks. And really what more can you ask of a FTP MMORPG these days?

Flank_sl

shitlord
The combat in the video doesnotmake me want to play. It looks like there is no auto-attack and sufficient cooldown on skills to make you have to just stand there and do nothing. I am sure it gets better at higher levels, but after watching that video I will not be finding out.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Agreed. That looks like the worst combat system I've ever seen.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To much annoying shit in a single video. Combat was the major issue, of course. But Ill wait to see what retail trailers look like before judging the game to badly.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
That combat looks about as fun as grinding my balls with a cheese grater. Not a good thing in an MMO supposed to be based on martial arts.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
looks like a game that starts out slow and takes a couple weeks to sink your teeth into a get a good idea of. Sandbox MMOs tend to do that. Too bad people don't seem to have the patience to get to that point anymore. If they don't log in and in 15 minutes get to experience the extent of the game and a full combat experience they give up on it. Sure the first thing he kills in that video looks stupid and clunky, but i wouldn't judge an MMO based on that. Watching a video of someone just starting up WoW and hitting auto attack at level 1 is not going to give you a good idea of what it's like in a high end raid or high end PVP. IDK how someone can form a good opinion on that. The massively review seems to contradict people's impressions based on that video.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's not about patience, we should be past the stage where it's acceptable to be bored for weeks just to start having fun. Everybody already does that, it's called a job and it's what they play games to get away from. I don't care if the combat is mind blowing and revolutionary after a month of grinding, no combat system is fun enough to be worth that effort to reach it. And if it's so amazing later on, why the hell is it so awful at the beginning?

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
looks like a game that starts out slow and takes a couple weeks to sink your teeth into a get a good idea of. Sandbox MMOs tend to do that. Too bad people don't seem to have the patience to get to that point anymore. If they don't log in and in 15 minutes get to experience the extent of the game and a full combat experience they give up on it. Sure the first thing he kills in that video looks stupid and clunky, but i wouldn't judge an MMO based on that. Watching a video of someone just starting up WoW and hitting auto attack at level 1 is not going to give you a good idea of what it's like in a high end raid or high end PVP. IDK how someone can form a good opinion on that. The massively review seems to contradict people?s impressions based on that video.
First impressions matter. They matter a LOT more then the opinions of would-be fanboys. You can't name a single MMO that didn't have at least a small group of people acting like the game was incredible. Doesn't matter how awful the MMO really was. So a review from massively doesn't count for shit. What does matter is what people can see with their own eyes, and that video fails to impress on a few levels.

Uzi_sl

shitlord
I was slightly interested in this a while ago, watched videos a few days ago and decided to pass, read the review and decided to try it. Opens today so will report back. The setting is kind of fresh at least for me, and the comparisons to eve's player driven economy seem interesting. That and the "who's a spy that I can kill in town" minigame make it at least worth installing. Combat will make or break it though, it could feel like being Neo in the kung-fu simulator once you get good but if it's so tedious to get to that point it'll go in the pass pile.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
looks like a game that starts out slow and takes a couple weeks to sink your teeth into a get a good idea of. Sandbox MMOs tend to do that. Too bad people don't seem to have the patience to get to that point anymore. If they don't log in and in 15 minutes get to experience the extent of the game and a full combat experience they give up on it. Sure the first thing he kills in that video looks stupid and clunky, but i wouldn't judge an MMO based on that. Watching a video of someone just starting up WoW and hitting auto attack at level 1 is not going to give you a good idea of what it's like in a high end raid or high end PVP. IDK how someone can form a good opinion on that. The massively review seems to contradict people's impressions based on that video.
You're more than welcome to go play anything that takes weeks of grinding just to be fun. I'll be over here playing games that are fun as soon as I start them.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The comments I've read say its really clunky but has elements that kept people around. I plan to give it a try with low expectations.

Uzi_sl

shitlord
Just came across this on the games official forums. Its a quote from a class guide written by a chinese dude that's played the chinese version, and another player's clarification.

"Cons
male players MAY turn into eunuch when advancing to higher tier inner skill depending on the choices you pick(Rumors)

To learn the highest internal energy skill, ???? (Sunflower Manual),
the player need to castrate, and in game mechanics is they will slowly turn feminine, from low level onwards, the skin will turn fairer, slowly the facial hair will be removed, highest lvl you will have cosmetics on face"

Not sure what to say if this is true.

Uzi_sl

shitlord
i have the weirdest boner right now:http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/12/ag...timate-skills/

sounds really hard to get too, like being a jedi in early SWG days

rrr_img_4678.jpg

rrr_img_4678.jpg