Age of Wushu/Wulin - US Open Beta

Troll_sl

shitlord
Wow. Biggest mess of a UI I've ever seen. Worst "tutorial" ever. How do people get through this shit to actually enjoy the game?

I don't even know what to say about this game except it just feels like there's no reason to it, you don't need to play to get ahead and the best way to get unbound dangdongs is to pay the chinese dingaling farmer because the methods to earning chingalingabingbangs yourself are abysmal. Combat is really disappointing for me because you can only use one technique set at a time as it sets a lengthy cooldown on every skill outside that technique.

I'm not too keen on PvP but going into this I actually wanted to see some PvP yet its like so rare if they didn't outright say it was a PvP game you could never tell from playing it.

This game is terrible. It takes a while to figure out just wtf is going on.
So I get xp while offline, and while online it gets changed into other kinds of xp which levels up my "inner level" or skills. Which can be done while afk. I see a lot of people afk next to waterfalls, which makes you convert this xp faster. I still don't know what the merridian system is about but I finally managed to turn that on and get some xp. Which takes even more forever to level.

Quests would be impossible to follow if they were more complicated than kill 2 bandits and pick 5 flowers. NPCs will tell you they have a bandit problem, then stop talking. So you have to talk to them again to get the quest. Then you can walk into the middle of the supposedly evil bandits who wont attack you until you hit them first. There's a lot of delivery quests, and way too much running back and forth.

I thought tradeskilling was alright at first. There's a daily limit to how much you can level up each tradeskill. There's also a daily limit to how much you can tradeskill period. When you use it all up, it doesn't start up full the next day, it will fill up while you're online. I don't see why playing go should mean you can't go chop wood. Waiting for your farm crops to grow is terrible. If you afk, insects can randomly destroy your shit so fast. There's also a daily limit per skill on how much xp you can gain. They really just don't want people to play this game.

I checked out the cash shop just to look, and the items in there only last for 30 days. Who wants to rent some hat, for real money, for only 30 days? Ridiculous.

The game looks pretty though.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
From my limited understanding, the XP you gain is what gets turned into XP. So essentially levels up the time you earned. I still haven't played it but I've read into it because what I've read has turned out to be super interesting in the end game at least.

The farming bit is disappointing to hear. I was thinking about d/ling it. :/ I'm well aware of the shitty Engrish(localization) but still.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I've more or less given up on this as well. There is no point or consequence to anything in this game. The raid sieges were fun for a while for just the chaotic nature until I realized that nobody was ever getting any better at playing in a group or attempting to even try to organize. The combat actually felt very responsive and I didn't really mind not being able to pick and choose from different styles (I was stuck with only the first Tangmen dagger set for my first 35 levels because I missed one of the quest parts where you have to keep re-talking with the NPC and my fucking quest tracker glitched out, someone finally posted a fix about a month ago) but despite all of the nice flying skills that seem like they would fit in well turning the standard 2D combat of an MMO into a more 3D experience they have absolutely no idea how to compensate for y-axis in their programming. There are a lot of really good ideas in the game but at the end of the day most of them don't really have an in-game point to them so don't really add much.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
I seen a commercial on TV for this game. I think it said something about 15 million people playing it. Made me want to try the game but after reading reviews here, seems like it is not worth the time. Disappointing.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
it's definitely worth giving it a shot but I'd suggest joining a guild very quickly. There's a ton to learn and the tutorial is donkey brained. The big shortcoming is that it's not going to have any staying power with most MMO players. Very pretty game but no substance. Death penalty is non existent and the big fights get comically zergy. Good to kill some time between other games but I have no idea how I put 4 months into this thing.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I love the commercial on cartoon network and it's like 50 MILLION PLAYERS ENDORSED BY JET LI

i'm wondering if some people are hesitant to try out this out bc its made in/by china. similar to the initial hestitation of korean mmo games when the first came out (aion etc) bc it wasn't us/jp/euro-made (and i'm not talking about the theme/poorlocalization).

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
I actually got a couple months of enjoyment out of this game. At first I was quick to dismiss it as another generic Chinese MMO but after reading about it on SA I gave it a try. This game has an epic learning curve of Eve proportions compared to most western MMO's. A lot of that is translating the Engrish and figuring out the convoluted menus.

Pros:
*Fun PvP
*Interesting new ideas like kidnapping offline players for money.
*Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style flying skills
*Script stealing (The best way to earn gold and/or new fighting skills) is actually pretty exciting. It lasts only 30 minutes each day and usually involves the entire server.
*Bounty system which involved jails and public executions. Kill enough innocent players and you will have constable players chasing you down. You can also attempt to jailbreak friends.

Cons:
*PvE content is pretty bad/non-existent.
*Auction system is terrible. It's not global so everyone goes to the same city to sell and there is limited space so you spam a key for 15 minutes to get a spot which lasts for 4 hours max.
*Leveling is time based like Eve (Some might like this). The longer the game is out, the longer it takes a new player to get caught up on things like the ranking lists for the special titles and outfits.
*Lack of equipment variety. Everyone uses the same piece of a equipment with a variation of the stats based on your school.
*Cash store purchases are only temporary. You have to essentially pay a rental fee every month if you want to keep that outfit or fast horse.

The game felt like Eve in that the majority of the content is entirely player driven. If you like guild politics, daily quests (script stealing), and open world PvP then you might enjoy this game.

despite all these intriguing features, i find myself not compelled enough to actually try it. though, that seems to be a running theme despite these games being generally bigger/varied/better than old school stuff.
i guess i'm waiting for the novelty to come back to mmo or a feature-set that is so specific that it would be unsuccessfull.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
My sister has gotten into this game and convinced me to try it. The tutorial was godawful, but there seems to be potential for fun pvp stuff later on. As she is in the beggar school, are there any schools that would pair well with that?