Age of Wushu/Wulin - US Open Beta

Randin

Trakanon Raider
A game with an actual mangina mechanic, and open PvP against them...

How is Keg not all over this fucking game?

roger_sl

shitlord
my 10 hours are gone and the 60 min per day is not alot, it reminds me alot of fung wang online, it's fun so far.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
It's pretty bad, like Horizons bad
Not going to stay long on my HD, but it is amusing. I think Snail Games screwed up with the massive amount of PTW going on in this game - twenty minutes in you're in a mini-instance with a bronze box that's presumably only openable with a key from the store. This is why 'FTP' games blow - if it were just straight PTP I might consider buying it and playing this for a couple of weeks - as-is I'll probably uninstall after my ten hours are up.

Uzi_sl

shitlord
Little review from playing for about 2 days cuz I'm bored at work on christmas eve.

I dropped the $20 for the VIP package because I'm really bored with other games at the moment. Joined the top guild (I.N.K) which is run by a Chinese-American woman who takes it very seriously and has plenty of experience with the Chinese version of the game. They use this weird ass ventrilo type program called "YY" which is apparently widely used in china and internet cafes around the eastern world. If nothing else the game is an interesting look into eastern gaming and its players. It's a north American server but half my guild seems to have only a very basic grasp of English, this one guy told us "Sorry I don't speak any English, I am using online translator".

So far my biggest complaint is the translations. There are quests that tell you to kill bandits but the mobs are brigands. There are typos all over the place. I blacksmithed up myself 10 "Sarp Swords", and sometimes things are spelled two different ways in the same item description. The story itself is completely nonsensical, and maybe I'm an American idiot but Chinese names are so hard to differentiate when looking for certain NPCs. Fungshu Xing and Fungshi Xung are not the same person?? However the auto-path to quests or npcs basically negates this if you don't care about following whats going on in the story, and being able to double click the map and run to that spot is a godsend.

"Leveling" is basically accumulating xp just by being logged in at a certain rate as well as doing quests, which you then have to convert into your skills. The main skill for each class is your "inner skill" which seems to be the best description of your overall power level. But you use the same points on getting your actual attack skill levels up, which I hear you only should even start once your inner is 20+. Each class has 3 skillsets and everyone shares 2? common sets, so there are tons of combos to play with.

You can do this conversion process three ways.
at a slow fixed rate while you are logged in (or offline for paying members) - slowest by far but you can get buffs from dueling and using consumables which boosts the gain every 100seconds from like 380 to 2000
paying in game money directly (gets expensive for little return pretty quickly) or
doing "group practice", which is basically a 1 - 10 person minigame where you hit sequences that come up every half minute like up, down , left, right while you watch your toons do synchronized kung-fu exercises. This is by far the best rate of conversion, but you build up fatigue which limits you do doing about 2 of these every few hours. Also if one person fucks up and isn't paying attention for his 30 second interval, it really hurts the total amount converted and will piss the rest of the group off something fierce.

The Life skills fuel the economy, you can get all the gathering but only one crafting profession, and one of these weird ones like music, painting, chess, which as far as I can tell give you and your group buffs when you do little minigames. I did music and its like a guitar hero for retards at least at the early levels, but still a unique system I haven't seen in a MMO. Gathering is limited per day, as is your gathering skill gain rate, so it will take time for people to get to max harvesting abilities which I assume is to control the economy from going haywire with people that play 22 hours a day. The crafting seems fun to me and I usually don't tradeskill in games, but with the economy comparisons to EVE and the fact that I seem to suck in 1v1 pvp fights I will probably focus on crafting and try to get rich and gear up by buying stuff.

I can't comment much on combat because I think I haven't done enough to actually "get it" but I will say it looks very complex and unique and by inner level 15 I have like 60 moves to make hotbar combinations with. Its like a multi-level rock paper scissors but its not turn based so you have to be good at jumping, strafing and blocking, while knowing and predicting the other guy's moves. Oh and all the rare drop abilities seem to be aerial moves. Watching people duel is like those crazy kung-fu movies where they fly around on ropes kicking each other fifty times in mid air before they land on their fingertips. I feel like it could be awesome if you get good. I've only done the first instance and it was fun but I was fucking lost in the sauce and I think I got yelled at in Korean.

The cash shop is indirectly pay-to-win; the only actual item that would help you advance is the bonus harvesting buffs, but the cash bought currency is convertible to in game money. The fishy thing about the money is there is no-drop money which you get from mobs and vendoring stuff, and then tradable money which as far as I can tell only enters the market through paying players. But all transactions between players use the tradable stuff obviously, so in theory you could become rich just by selling to players and not spending any real cash. For 20 bucks I got 60 days of VIP access (and I think they are giving 30 extra which comes to like $7 a month sub), a ton of consumables and a bunch of the premium currency which you can sell for regular currency or buy costumes and mounts with.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
When does it actually launch? My Google Fu is failing me which doesn't bode well for the future of my character in this game.

Hekotat

No idea how I missed that....

I went ahead and purchased it, please don't suck.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am playing this currently and it is interesting, to say the least. And confusing. It is a pretty huge game in terms of depth and content, having been released in China some time ago. My experience is very fragmented, and I have been reading a ton of (mini) guides just to get a basic grasp of the game. I will just blurt out some stuff that stands out to me with maybe an explanation or two (which may be quit incomplete or even incorrect), in bulletpoints.

• If you buy the Deluxe pack now, your char will actually be carried over into release (1 feb), no wipe.
  • It is ftp, however you can sub (9 dollars) which gives you some pretty huge benefits, one of which is that skilling will continue offline.
  • The game is set entirely in historical China, so if you are expecting purple Elven forests or other whacky environments you will be disappointed.
  • Character creation is very Asian, as is the world: however if you can relate to the whole monk/martial art/monastery/kungfu/inner peace/masterShifuKungfupanda thing, the world is gorgeous and consistent.
  • Combat is totally based around the Martial Arts, divided over 8 different school of Martial Art. So melee it is, though there are somewhat ranged meleeattacks. But no fireballs or lightning or roots sprouting from the ground.
  • The game is actually quit beautiful.
  • You gain xp with all sorts of different activities, which is then converted into Cultivation points that you use to skill up your martial arts skills(also offline if you sub).
  • You can increase this XP-->cultivation pointsrate in several ways: pills(crafted), doing certain tasks, being in a certain surrounding that matches your current skillset, stuff like that.
  • Cultivating skills takes real-time, you can take most skills to level 5, getting it from 4 to 5 will take a full day, can only cultivate a single skill at a time. There are ways to speed up this cultivation by doing team practice (get up to 10people then do synchronized shit for 10-25 rounds to seriously increase the cultivation time, make sure you have enough cultivation points accumulated): you can also pay silver to speed up the cultivation of a skill.
  • The 8 schools are more or less competitors to eachother (and their temples are spread all over the map) and a lot of gameplay and PvP is tied into this.
  • Schools can declare war to eachother and such, Guilds can own territory: this part is still totally unclear to me but when looking at the complicated UI-windows (with lots and lots of tabs) that cover these features, it seems to be very in depth.
  • There are "good" schools and "evil" schools; your choice of school will definately impact the way you can play, in relation to PvP, bounties, school-discipline/rules, how to make money etcetera.
  • There is open-world PvP, with bounties, jailtime, executions, repenting.
  • Repenting is what you do when you do something that is not allowed by your school: you accumulate points and when you reach a certain point you have to repent, which means kneeling down in your temple and sitting there for a certain amount of time: when I visited my (good) schools temple, almost all of the repenter-spots were occuppied.......you are bound to many rules when you are part of a good school.
  • There are Spy-mssions where you go spy on other schools: great way to earn xp, but very dangerous;
  • You can patrol for your school, revealing spies of other school (other players); there is a lot of gameplay that ties into the animosity between schools.
  • There are dailies, achievements, weeklies.
  • You can only have 1 character per account!!!
  • When you delete your char, you have to wait 2 real-time days before you can create another!
  • Each school has 3 different martial art skillsets, tied to a certain weapon (or bare hands).
  • Each of these sets have damage-moves, feint moves, a supermove (lots of damage) and blocking (with a set-specific blocking buff), where block>damagemove>feintmove>block, sort off. You have to read your opponents moves, then react accordingly. I only recognize Blocking though, so I still suck hardcore at this.
  • There are also fly-moves which are very important and kinda cool, mix them in with your other moves to really own (again, not even close yet). It is a unique combatsystem, that will undoubtedly turn of lots of people, also because of the lack of magic.
  • With the fly-moves you can jump onto houses, run across roofs so two duelling players will run around all over the place, cool to watch.
  • Each set has an "Inner Skill" which is pretty much the defining skill for that set and gives a certain buff: this skill you can actually take all the way to level 36 and sortoff indicates your "level" in this skill-based game;
  • You can quickly switch between the 3 sets of a single school, but all skills will then go on a 7 second cooldown; the normal cooldown is 1 sec.
  • You can actually "steal" skillbooks from other Schools and thus aquire the skill of other schools skillsets! Again, a typical PvP feature. Not sure how you incorporate a stolen skill into your own skillsets though.
  • Several skills and also fly-moves, you aquire through looting the skillbooks from mobs and in dungeons/instances. You can also buy the books from players off course.
  • You can set up a stall to seel your wares (pretty standard asian feature). You can also offer your crafting services for a fee, so basically others use your crafting skill to combine stuff, for a fee.
  • Crafting (6 professions, must pick 1), harvesting (5, can take them all), gives xp, everything is playermade exept some extremely basic and worthless stuff which is on NPC's.
  • There are 4 more "Life-skills" (Crafting and Harvesting are Lifeskills) you can take up, which are Music, Chess and 2 more. These are mini-games of some sort and give buffs? Play music for NPC's and get them to like you, or not (some will be pissed off). Typical sandbox stuff. There is also the Beggingskill (needed for a certain school).
  • There is itemdecay, and you can break down items I think.
  • There are a lot of quests, some also repeatable, for which you get money and experience and sometimes a few healing herbs or maybe crafting ingredient, but never an item as far as I have seen. Buy pretty much everything from players.
  • Horses can be bought in the store and are temporary! So they poof after 100 hours or so. This is not liked by players and there are some threads about this on the forums.
  • When you log out, your char actually stays in the world! You can recognize these players because they will be doing some menial task, like swiping the floor or simply walk back and forth a certain path. You still see their name.so you can recognize them as players.
  • Since the name tags can be a bit confusing (It shows the playername, the guildname, and often also a title according to what role that offline player has taken on, like on patrol for your School, an easy way to discern an NPC from an Offline player is to target them and look at their HP-bar: a player will also show a blue energy-bar under the HP-bar, while an NPC only has the HP bar.
  • You can actually kidnap these offline players(buy a drug at an NPC, blow it in offlineplayers face, player will disappear and a sack will reappear on your back, then start walking to a place where you can sell player), for money. Another PvP-feature, since another player can fight these kidnappers and free the offline player(and earn money and xp that way). Kidnapping will yield you infamy when you are of a good school off course, so you might have to repent after that. It seems to be a good money maker though so now people are bitching that evil school-players (who do not get discipline points for this) have an easy way to make money. But there are so many ways to make money and earn XP, for both sides. Or just repent!

The world is pretty populated with NPC's too, which work with a sort of hidden faction-system. There are many ways to piss of NPC's, like standing in their view when they are watching a streetshow. You can also give gifts to them, so they will like you more. But certain actions may work well with one NPC, but have the opposite effect on the other. Also, lots of NPC have a gossip-option, that can yield unexpected information or give quests. This also ties in to how much they like you. They also react to your avatar in realistic and fun ways: try riding a horse through town: they will scatter and yell. Or cringe when you stand too close to them and tell you that you are standing on their toes. Lots of amazing details in this game for sure.
There are also several UI windows and a multitude of tabs that tie into you personal story, your schools story and achievement, the overarching story (that will run years from now), miracle encounters and what not, some of these windows are very confusing.

I am on the fence about this game, if I ever get a hang of the combat I might get to like it more. Right now I am just baffled about how much stuff and features they managed to put in this game, and enjoying the rather beautiful world. Only got ganked twice so far, and the first time the guy immediately got caught by a player and was sent to jail (has to like sit there for 20 minutes or some). Anytime someone gets caught and goes to jail (or gets executed, no idea what that means) you get a message on your screen, it's kinda satisfying.

Also, yes, even with the 1 character per account feature, there is still much to do about players that get a bounty on their head, then use an alt or friend to collect that bounty themselves, so the victim is effectively paying their ganker.

Anyway, definately not for everyone because of the typical setting and combatsystem, and PvP. But also definately a deep game.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
there is still much to do about players that get a bounty on their head, then use an alt or friend to collect that bounty themselves, so the victim is effectively paying their ganker.
EVE finally figured out a partial fix for this (bounty is a percentage taken out of the effective losses from the target, so you always lose money when you get bounty hunted).

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That sounds like a way, however the amount of money a victim loses is so small that it would not really make for an interesting bounty. I think I lost 1 Liang or so(do not even know if the attacker gets this), and the minimum bounty you have to put on your killer is 10 liang. In Eve the money factor probably plays a bigger role, unless I am understanding your example wrong.

The bounty system is kinda fun: when you get unlawfully ganked (not being in a war, not trying to kill a Player-Spy when acting as Patrol for your school etctera) you get a popup window where you can choose to put a bounty on the ganker or not: fill in the amount you are willing to pay and you can also state a short reason why you want this person captured.
At certain NPC's in the cities you can watch all outstanding bounties, fun to read some of the comments. Also, when you initially decided not to put up a bounty, this is where you can still do it afterwards: you can see a list of names of people that unlawfully killed you apparently. Not sure how long a person stays on this list.

This where I did most of my reading up:http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/...asic-tips.htmlJust read all of the (mini) guides in that list. There are a few guides out there, but they only explain a certain aspect of the game, which can be confusing since so many other features are mentioned at the same time (that do not get explained).

Also, do not read the Tangmen guide in that list, as a newbie. If you try to keep reading that till the very end, you will get so confused and overwhelmed that you will never give this game a try.
smile.png
Probably a very good guide though if you are not a newbie anymore, and want to join the Tangmen school.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
In Eve the money factor probably plays a bigger role, unless I am understanding your example wrong.
It does. When you get killed, you lose your ship and half of its equipment (modules). You can get insurance to reimburse you in part. What the game does is, if you have an outstanding bounty, it computes your losses (after insurance), and half of that gets paid to the killer and deducted from the bounty. If there's outstanding money, you are still hunted, until the bounty is fully exhausted.

It limits the "friend kill me" exploit, since you do lose money. You can still have your friend kill you, so you get back at least half of your losses. But if someone puts a one million bounty on you, YOU are going to be hunted until you've lost at least two million ISK to bounty hunters. At best, you can get back the one million from the bounty, so you "only" lost one million.

Singlemalt_sl

shitlord
I've burned my free trial. It seems to me the enjoyment factor for this game could be upped quite a bit by joining a clan...anyone else playing interested in giving that a go? I've been playing as Wudang thus far but would be willing to reroll and join another school, good or evil.

Hekotat

I'm in Wudang as well and willing to check out your clan but I have no fucking clue what I'm doing thus far. Send me a PM if you're still interested.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
I played this a little yesterday and I was pretty impressed. The graphics are top notch and the gameplay seems fun so far. I basically just made it through the beginners guide and picked my school (Shaolin).
Has anyone done any grouping in this game? It wasn't immediately obvious to me if there are traditional groups with each person filling a role or if everyone is just a melee martial arts badass and you all beat stuff down together?

One thing that definitely bothered me a bit was how much they're trying to get me to pay for stuff. I mean it's littered like everywhere within the game, the menus. Shit even the exit dialog asks you twice to buy VIP or whatever.