Aladdin (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Genie is a meh, better looking than expected, but Will Smith personality didn't work in that brief half second clip.

Will Smith is a RomCom style comedian and not really all that "Funny" he's funny by proxy because of the situations he's thrown into.

I guess it all depends on what they expect from the genie, are they going to harken back to Robin Williams? If so, Will Smith is a terrible choice and going with someone else would have been MOUNTAINS better.

Are they going a more serious role? If so, Will Smith is a terrible choice.

Jafaar sounded...just bad, go back in your mind to the past movie and he sounded like he was bad to begin with and now he just sounds like a guy. Wonder if Gilbert Gotfried will reprise his role.

As usual Hollywood doen't look like it can pull an original idea out of it's ass without shitting all over it, so they resort to re-releasing movies they had that did well...and STILL they shit all over them.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
yup...
Wtf-alladin.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

4OBu59s.jpg

damn this is May 24th?

Look at Thanos. Look at Will Smith.

Not sure if its actor ego or some idiot marketing exec that NEEDS Will Smiths face in there, but it totally ruins the aesthetic of a great and powerful Genie to have their face be too human. Its totally possible to CGI something that has some features from the actor, without having to simply put the actors face there. Again, Thanos. This looks absolutely ridiculous though. Not only does his face being there look ridiculous, but god damn the CGI is BAD--his body doesn't really sync well with his head, and its like they had balloon his head up larger to make it work and it just looks fucking WEIRD. This almost feels like they got scared of the back lash of Will Smith just being the Genie in weird clothes, and decided to toss in some last minute CGI on him. (And the lava cave CGI is just fucking bad too. God damn the Genesis game of Aladdin had better looking lava...in 93).

The only one who kind of looks okay is Jasmine and maybe Aladdin himself. Everything else looks like garbage. What the fuck is up with Jaffar? My god he was as bad as the golem Fresh Genie of Bel Air. Someone else said it, but very Bollywood--that's spot on. They got the spectacle right with costumes and all, but it all seems cheap/wooden.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I love how Jafar has at least 4 different spellings in this thread.

I'll be honest, I looked it up before posting.

This movie is still going to make bank. The music needs to be on point though if it wants to reach the Billion dollar club.
Somehow I think Dumbo -> Aladdin -> Lion King are set this way to build up to an amazing Lion King movie.
Like, even Disney knows they dropped the ball here. They crammed Aladdin between Avengers & Lion King. Why would they do that?
Aladdin gets 2 months then it'll be Lion King everything until November when the they release Frozen 2.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll be the first to admit that the constantly exposed midriff in the animated movie was completely unnecessary...but it's also completely iconic now and to just toss it away does not look right at all.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also, it's not really fair since I'm comparing him to a version of Jafar that was literally cartoonishly evil, but live action Jafar doesn't sound even slightly menacing. That voice sounds like something I'd hear in a Starbucks complaining that they messed up his mochalattiato.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Not sure if its actor ego or some idiot marketing exec that NEEDS Will Smiths face in there, but it totally ruins the aesthetic of a great and powerful Genie to have their face be too human. Its totally possible to CGI something that has some features from the actor, without having to simply put the actors face there. Again, Thanos. This looks absolutely ridiculous though. Not only does his face being there look ridiculous, but god damn the CGI is BAD--his body doesn't really sync well with his head, and its like they had balloon his head up larger to make it work and it just looks fucking WEIRD. This almost feels like they got scared of the back lash of Will Smith just being the Genie in weird clothes, and decided to toss in some last minute CGI on him. (And the lava cave CGI is just fucking bad too. God damn the Genesis game of Aladdin had better looking lava...in 93).

The only one who kind of looks okay is Jasmine and maybe Aladdin himself. Everything else looks like garbage. What the fuck is up with Jaffar? My god he was as bad as the golem Fresh Genie of Bel Air. Someone else said it, but very Bollywood--that's spot on. They got the spectacle right with costumes and all, but it all seems cheap/wooden.
This. All i see is a blue Will Smith with elf ears,not a genie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Also, it's not really fair since I'm comparing him to a version of Jafar that was literally cartoonishly evil, but live action Jafar doesn't sound even slightly menacing. That voice sounds like something I'd hear in a Starbucks complaining that they messed up his mochalattiato.
That Jafar is atrocious. Wayyyy too young (36). Needs to be some 50-60 tall skinny dude with a deeper voice that has a thing for young women, how hard could it be?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

yeah its Bollywood colors, which is a plus, but without the heart. looks very Last Airbender. is shamalamadingdong directing this one too?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I would be more on board if shaq was the genie, not even kidding

• 7Solidarity
  • 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Something seems too clean or sterile about everything in that trailer. I don't know how else to describe it. It feels very odd to me.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My family loved live action beauty and the beast. I found it enjoyable. Didn’t see jungle book though. I’m surprised people hear thought it was (B&tB) was garbage.

Sterling

El Presidente
My family loved live action beauty and the beast. I found it enjoyable. Didn’t see jungle book though. I’m surprised people hear thought it was (B&tB) was garbage.
Haven't watched B&tB, but thought Jungle Book was pretty good but not particularly great. These things have high production value and obviously they're casting some high profile people, but it sill feels like these movies are just going to be hit or miss.