Albion Online

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if they will implement any fast travel options in the game. I was watching some of the streams and it pretty much consisted of people running from one zone to another and the movement speed looks sluggish. Even UO had gates and such.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if they will implement any fast travel options in the game. I was watching some of the streams and it pretty much consisted of people running from one zone to another and the movement speed looks sluggish. Even UO had gates and such.
I'm pretty sure they will. In one of the videos I've seen on steam there seem to be a map system. Don't see why fast travel wouldn't be implemented.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I noticed that you can take boats from one region to another, but I'm hoping they implement some kind of bind location/TP system or, at the very least, some option to be able to teleport to your home or guild plot.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I like that they do have fast travel, but it costs a fortune to fast travel with a full inventory. They're using cost to force people to do manual trade runs with oxen (and promote PVP that way).

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game is worth every penny I spent for the alpha access ($50 package).
I'm having a blast.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
Playing guild-less seems challenging for finding T4+ buildings is not as easy.
You need to farm your ass off in order to build one T4 building and your plot can only hold a few at best. Though staying around a city that has all these T4 items does help.

I wonder if I should join an established guild.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'll probably jump in when they hit beta phase. I wonder if they're going to add raid mobs and stuff. Would be interesting to watch a raid mob fuck up your player made village. Could really change raids from being "go here, do pattern, kill raid mob, get loot" into "OH SHIT ITS A RAID MOB OH NOES ITS EATING MAH HOUSE! CALL THE GUILD JESUS CHRIST CALL THE GUILD!"

Instead of killing this mob because its there, you kill it because it can eat your house.

Or you.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
I randomly got invited to a short alpha test week earlier in the year and had a blast. The core gameplay seems like the right evolution of old school UO - guild towns with more explicit functionality, wars with consequence, better diplomacy/politics.

As is always the way with any MMO that embraces interesting social mechanics, it's the superficial elements of the game that need serious work. Being so cross-platform is cool in theory, but as I imagine 80% of players will be on the PC, it could really use its own dedicated interface with more functionality and less of a mobile gaming vibe. The graphics are passable - not something I would worry too much about considering how rare the core mechanics are in games these days, but it could certainly do with a bit of character, as it all looks a bit generic at the moment.

Really liked the skill system, clearly inspired by path of exile where skill gems slotted into gear define what your character is capable of, and far more appropriate than a traditional level system that inevitably locks new players out of interesting content. If anything, Path of Exile's skill gems could be compared to fitting a ship in Eve, and so anything that follows that same rough design makes a lot of sense for a sandbox game. After all, being able to have a new guy join the game, find a guild and immediately be kitted out in cheap but functional gear that allows them to contribute in pvp (like any tackler can in eve) is exactly what these games need. But again, the flow of combat and the skills themselves felt a bit off, and need a lot of work to make pvp itself a satisfying experience.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I randomly got invited to a short alpha test week earlier in the year and had a blast. The core gameplay seems like the right evolution of old school UO - guild towns with more explicit functionality, wars with consequence, better diplomacy/politics.

As is always the way with any MMO that embraces interesting social mechanics, it's the superficial elements of the game that need serious work. Being so cross-platform is cool in theory, but as I imagine 80% of players will be on the PC, it could really use its own dedicated interface with more functionality and less of a mobile gaming vibe. The graphics are passable - not something I would worry too much about considering how rare the core mechanics are in games these days, but it could certainly do with a bit of character, as it all looks a bit generic at the moment.

Really liked the skill system, clearly inspired by path of exile where skill gems slotted into gear define what your character is capable of, and far more appropriate than a traditional level system that inevitably locks new players out of interesting content. If anything, Path of Exile's skill gems could be compared to fitting a ship in Eve, and so anything that follows that same rough design makes a lot of sense for a sandbox game. After all, being able to have a new guy join the game, find a guild and immediately be kitted out in cheap but functional gear that allows them to contribute in pvp (like any tackler can in eve) is exactly what these games need. But again, the flow of combat and the skills themselves felt a bit off, and need a lot of work to make pvp itself a satisfying experience.
That was my only real issue as well. I don't understand why the tablet and PC versions use the same UI. I'm sure there's a way to do a PC UI and a tablet one.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
So, what are people saying about this game? Is it getting better or worse in this new alpha phase? From the streams I've watched it looks pretty boring. They basically implemented a farming simulator now and there's a lot of busywork to build and upkeep buildings. The game doesn't look solo friendly at all either.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, what are people saying about this game? Is it getting better or worse in this new alpha phase? From the streams I've watched it looks pretty boring. They basically implemented a farming simulator now and there's a lot of busywork to build and upkeep buildings. The game doesn't look solo friendly at all either.
IMO interesting PvP features, hit or miss game design, Free2download business model, awful combat gameplay.

Naj_sl

shitlord
Awful combat is an understatement. A Diablo 1 Warrior has more interesting combat techniques than characters in this game.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, hopefully they flesh out combat way more. I feel like being on tablets is going to hold this back a bit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's what I thought when I saw how hard they were pushing the multiple device bit. Each device has some advantages. Making the game playable on a tablet is one thing, but if they make it so you're competitive on a tablet you have to cripple the gameplay.

Vitality

HUSTLE
If it's not turn based in some fashion like a TCG or Facebook game then the Mobile/Tablet users are going to get worked hard and the game will suffer because of it.

Solstice Arena (MOBA) fell pretty hard on their face with this one.