Aliens: Fireteam

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Was Aliens Online that quasi mmoish game in the days of the protointernet?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This and Aliens Online from Gamestorm/Mythic Entertainment were probably the two best Aliens franchise games ever made.

Slightly off topic shit:
I really, really enjoyed Aliens Online and Magestorm was also good shit. Mythic Entertainment did a really good job on both of those games. Godzilla Online from Gamestorm was also good but I don't think Mythic made that one.

Magestorm was pretty sick. It was my first real 3D online game and man was I into it. Sort of EQ before there was EQ, for me.

Just tried out this Aliens game. It plays pretty well, but it also feels like it could be a lot more. Or maybe the first area is just really generic, IDK.

One of my teammates had a laser rifle that shot blue lasers. How do I get me one of those? Just play?

I always used to wish Aliens had lasers. It's like the only thing missing from that movie, especially considering they yoinked everything else from Terminator's future war scenes (the sets, the lighting, the costumes). Come to think of it, a team-based Terminator game would be killer. Something like this, or maybe a multiplayer game where one side is the machines.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Magestorm was pretty sick. It was my first real 3D online game and man was I into it. Sort of EQ before there was EQ, for me.

Just tried out this Aliens game. It plays pretty well, but it also feels like it could be a lot more. Or maybe the first area is just really generic, IDK.

One of my teammates had a laser rifle that shot blue lasers. How do I get me one of those? Just play?

I always used to wish Aliens had lasers. It's like the only thing missing from that movie, especially considering they yoinked everything else from Terminator's future war scenes (the sets, the lighting, the costumes). Come to think of it, a team-based Terminator game would be killer. Something like this, or maybe a multiplayer game where one side is the machines.
Terminator-2-Judgement-Day-arcade-game-at-Joystix.jpg

"It's judgement day"

Bitches couldn't do the truck level

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
For some reason this made me think of Ironman, and god damnit now I wish they would make something like this with the cast/crew of IM1

1632320779695.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 373805

"It's judgement day"

Yeah, I beat this game. The fight with Skynet's CPU is some super-creepy shit. I found the early levels to be the hardest, and after you go back to the present to fight the T-1000 it's generally easier. A lot of Terminator games are like that.

There's also a Terminator Salvation arcade game that I wasn't able to beat. It's AWESOME. Has a lot of machines that aren't in the movie, like early HK tanks. I brought a $10 roll of quarters and me and a friend got really far in the game. I wish I'd brought a couple more rolls and just gotten it done because I've wanted to try again for a couple years. He actually mentioned it a few weeks ago, so maybe I can get him to try again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They literally can't do a colonial Marines vs aliens with a predator movie despite that being what we actually want to see.

AVP2 was such a big wtf.

"Oh cool it's the Aliens come to earth like the arcade game. Okay weird. Okay um. Wow that was gross. UHHH weird again. It's over?

*shuffles out of theatre*"

I mean is it really this hard for them? Or they gotta flex their "those ideas are dated and us modern fancy pantses surely know better."

If they could do a colonial marines game with a "not like Halo" or whatever mode, that'd be great. AVP1/2 PC were so far in the right direction.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think it's one of those things where the premise literally writes itself so no one wants to do it, except for self flagellating writers who think they know better.

That, and the IP just being cursed for some reason. It SHOULD be a home run, but the up has been trash since Aliens.

Like someone needs to make an aliens vs predator vs terminator and just lean in to the rediculous 80's premise and make the greatest popcorn flick in history... Bit NOOOO we gotta show how strong women/aspies are.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 373805

"It's judgement day"

Back in the day, we had Diamond Jim's Arcade at a mall in New Orleans. They would do a birthday party deal with a great pizza place in the food court, and the cookie cake place for dessert.

Was lucky enough to get a party there. Load up on pizza, grab your alotted tokens, and spend a few hours in the arcade. Best deal was if you were with the party, you'd go to the service booth, and would get double the tokens per dollar. Everyone would save up and bring 10-15 bucks, and have more tokens than you could spend in the evening. This was back when games at most were 50 cents for the new ones.

We beat the T2 game that evening, but I had more fun beating the original Aliens side scroller. That was my favorite arcade game just because I was such a big Aliens fan. Best birthday party as a kid ever.

Those were the days...

aliens-4_1.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Back in the day, we had Diamond Jim's Arcade at a mall in New Orleans. They would do a birthday party deal with a great pizza place in the food court, and the cookie cake place for dessert.

Was lucky enough to get a party there. Load up on pizza, grab your alotted tokens, and spend a few hours in the arcade. Best deal was if you were with the party, you'd go to the service booth, and would get double the tokens per dollar. Everyone would save up and bring 10-15 bucks, and have more tokens than you could spend in the evening. This was back when games at most were 50 cents for the new ones.

We beat the T2 game that evening, but I had more fun beating the original Aliens side scroller. That was my favorite arcade game just because I was such a big Aliens fan. Best birthday party as a kid ever.

Those were the days...

View attachment 374064
I member that game. Long gone mall here used to have this huge two story arcade in it, with that being one of them.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
One thing is clear, I need to get Arcade emulation going and finally check out stuff like Aliens and that Double Dragon fighter (that was actually good, not DD5). There are a bunch of other things I missed out on too like King of Fighters / some of the middle Virtua Fighter and Tekken games. Have never had any luck getting arcade emulation working, but I haven't tried in a while either.

EDIT: Anyone have an arcade emulator recommendation? MAME is the one I was never able to get working. It would be awesome if I had arcade emulation on my hacked PS Classic, but it's the only thing missing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
One thing is clear, I need to get Arcade emulation going and finally check out stuff like Aliens and that Double Dragon fighter (that was actually good, not DD5). There are a bunch of other things I missed out on too like King of Fighters / some of the middle Virtua Fighter and Tekken games. Have never had any luck getting arcade emulation working, but I haven't tried in a while either.
Double dragon 2 was the best. I used to ride bikes with a buddy of mine down to a gas station that had it, and dump money into it during the summer.

There was also a Vietnamese restaurant next to the comic book store that had Street fighter 2 championship edition, and we would just stand in their lobby playing that nonstop. I think they had two small tables that were both two seaters and it was basically a pickup delivery place. Food was pretty good.

I just remember as a kid any business I had to go to with my parents you always immediately scout it out if they had any arcade games, and beg your parents for a few quarters. Once I started mowing yards are washing cars I always had money on me to play whatever games I wanted.

You quickly learned which places had the best arcade games. Eckerd's drugstore used to have that weird tank game with the two handles, that I can't remember the name of. If you had to go to the grocery store with your mom, at least you could go and play a game.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Double dragon 2 was the best. I used to ride bikes with a buddy of mine down to a gas station that had it, and dump money into it during the summer.

There was also a Vietnamese restaurant next to the comic book store that had Street fighter 2 championship edition, and we would just stand in their lobby playing that nonstop. I think they had two small tables that were both two seaters and it was basically a pickup delivery place. Food was pretty good.

I just remember as a kid any business I had to go to with my parents you always immediately scout it out if they had any arcade games, and beg your parents for a few quarters. Once I started mowing yards are washing cars I always had money on me to play whatever games I wanted.

You quickly learned which places had the best arcade games. Eckerd's drugstore used to have that weird tank game with the two handles, that I can't remember the name of. If you had to go to the grocery store with your mom, at least you could go and play a game.

Yeah, I'm always telling people, the memories are fond especially if you didn't get to play these things very often.

Some of my fondest memories are getting a bunch of quarters just to go play Tekken 2 or Samurai Showdown at a pizza place. I didn't get an NES until 15 years after it came out, didn't get an SNES, Game Boy, or N64 until 3 years after each of them came out, and I experienced hella joy when I did get to hoof it down to someone's house to play something I didn't have yet.

Nowadays I can buy anything I want game-wise on Day 1 and the joy just ain't there compared to back when I couldn't have things and had to work towards them, or wait, etc. At the very least, the wait for Metroid Dread is rekindling a little bit of that feeling for me.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Those were the days...

View attachment 374064

Man, between all our buddies we probably had 15 birthdays at Diamond Jim’s and/or Aladdin’s Castle growing up. Ours were all free play on the machines though instead of 2x tokens. Finished so many games that way. All the Time Cops, Turtles, Simpsons, and the weird friend that sat on Cruisin’ USA all night long. Or some just practiced Mortal Kombat the whole time to fleece tokens off strangers during regular hours. Thems were the days.

• 1Solidarity

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
This and Aliens Online from Gamestorm/Mythic Entertainment were probably the two best Aliens franchise games ever made.

Slightly off topic shit:
I really, really enjoyed Aliens Online and Magestorm was also good shit. Mythic Entertainment did a really good job on both of those games. Godzilla Online from Gamestorm was also good but I don't think Mythic made that one.

What was your name on AO and Magestorm? I was Kuriin on Magestorm and GoTeN with Marine Killers and Alien Killers, later changed to Team Kindred.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
What was your name on AO and Magestorm? I was Kuriin on Magestorm and GoTeN with Marine Killers and Alien Killers, later changed to Team Kindred.
Oh geez... I think I went by Combat Wombat in both. I think I was in Divine [something].... Divine Right, maybe?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I can't recommend this game even if it's a neat arcadey shooter because the matchmaking system sucks and you can't play what levels you want when you want to unless you go as a group of 3.

there's like 4 chapters each chapter has 3 levels and you can que for each one of them on like 5 different difficulties and you can only pick 1 thing to que for, they need to let you que for multiple things at once.

then there's exactly 60 seconds to find a full group for the one of 60 different things you can que for or it puts you in a group of bots and fires the game, with no ability for people to join mid game.

for example here's a thread in the discussion area of steam other people see the same thing

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I really wish they'd do a turn-based tactical game with this franchise, in the vein of X-Com.

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
New Features

• Quick Play has been added to the game! Players can now queue up for any Campaign mission that matches their Difficulty and Challenge Card preferences. This option becomes available once you complete the full campaign.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Basically finished with this, on the 2nd-to-last mission. It's better than I expected, and I had fun. It benefits a lot from the low expectations though. If I'd gone into this thinking it was incredible, right now I'd be feeling underwhelmed.

It's a basic 3rd-person shooter with xenomorphs. Also one of the four chapters is Prometheus-themed, and probably the closest we'll ever get to a Prometheus game. If I'd known that was in this, I would have played it sooner, as I actually liked Prometheus' designs and monsters. So that was a nice surprise.

The game is a bit buggy, and I've had 4 instances (2 each) where a mission either froze or was un-completable because a door wouldn't open. Usually these things happened at the beginning of a mission, though one of the freezes was late in a mission and that was obnoxious.

I only had PC teammates for the first few missions, and the availability of other players totally died off after that. I don't know if it's because not many people are still playing the game, or if it's because everyone's farming the first few missions for currency. So I did most of the game with NPC allies. They're better than bad players but not as good as good players.

I really wanted a laser weapon in this game once I saw the word "laser" in the weapon lists. So I saved up, repeated a couple missions for currency, and bought the laser pistol. Well, talk about disappointing. My main class can't equip it, and even though it has infinite ammo it needs to recharge after 3 shots. Also it barely even looks like a laser.

Could have sworn I grouped with someone early on who had a rifle that shot blue lasers, but maybe I dreamed that or something.

In short, game is worth it on a sale for Aliens fans. Had a few issues with it but I had fun. Doesn't seem to be many people playing now, though, so if you're expecting tons of multiplayer you'll be disappointed unless you BYOG.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished the game. Can confirm there's some issue with matchmaking where it puts almost everybody into the first couple missions. Kind of messed-up, hopefully it eventually gets fixed because the later chapters are where the game is actually great.