Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 10 Votes
Title: Alita: Battle Angel

Genre: Action, Adventure, Romance, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Robert Rodriguez

Cast: Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz, Ed Skrein, Mahershala Ali, Jennifer Connelly, Keean Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Lana Condor, Jackie Earle Haley, Eiza González, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Marko Zaror, Elle LaMont, Leonard Wu, Casper Van Dien, Jeff Fahey, Idara Victor, Sam Medina, Liz Tabish

Release: 2018-07-19

Plot: In the twenty-sixth century, a female cyborg is rescued from the scrap heap by a scientist.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Had heard Cameron was trying to do this, and it seems like it really flew under the radar.

Her eyes look fucking creepy...

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah he's been trying to have this made for years, I remember reading about it years ago.

It looks pretty cool, but I agree eyes look fucking creepy. I understand she is a robot not meant to look entirely human, but that extremely weird nonetheless.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Siliconemelons

Its really a double nod to anime style big eyes and to that she is a robot - yet the others do not have big eyes so...

the anime ended when she
got up to the top right? there was no more after? at least not show/movie, I don't read the books/manga
so I wonder if this will be the same, and or lead to more?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It's been years since I saw the anime, I think it's something along those lines.

I vaguely remember her dying or getting ripped apart or something, too

I understand the big eye anime shit, but it just looks fucking weird when everyone else looks normal.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Its really a double nod to anime style big eyes and to that she is a robot - yet the others do not have big eyes so...

the anime ended when she
got up to the top right? there was no more after? at least not show/movie, I don't read the books/manga
so I wonder if this will be the same, and or lead to more?
The manga timelines are complicated. The original manga (Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita) continued on past the anime. The author got sick and put together an ending sooner than it was supposed to run though so it was a bit sappy. He then came back and made Gunnm Last Order as an alternative continued story from the original. That series ended and now he has Gunnm Mars Chronicle which is ongoing.

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Please don't suck
Please don't suck
Please don't suck

Although with James Cameron involved I am optimistic.

This was the first anime I ever saw and was on top of my list of favorites for a long time.

The manga series spans like 8 volumes and the original spans like a 2 of those books. There's also another manga series as well that I haven't gotten as deep into.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The CGI face is a little off putting. Hope it doesn't keep me from watching or enjoying this. So shes a cyborg, I take it her face is partly human? If so why the big eyes, if not why was she crying?

• 2Solidarity

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The CGI face is a little off putting. Hope it doesn't keep me from watching or enjoying this. So shes a cyborg, I take it her face is partly human? If so why the big eyes, if not why was she crying?
there are two different answers to this.
1. the movie answer where it just encapulates the first few chapters of the manga
2. the real answer

big eyes? either old white man has anime eye fetish, or really Alita has always been the tiny girl bordering on pedo, with a slightly larger head and eyes than the rest.

45beae09cd124d0b46ce650d2d63ba05.jpg

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

The manga timelines are complicated. The original manga (Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita) continued on past the anime. The author got sick and put together an ending sooner than it was supposed to run though so it was a bit sappy. He then came back and made Gunnm Last Order as an alternative continued story from the original. That series ended and now he has Gunnm Mars Chronicle which is ongoing.

Okay yeah... crazy... I was merely talking about animated movie - I think it stopped and they never made another vid to continue it on.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

Time to expand my collection!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Okay yeah... crazy... I was merely talking about animated movie - I think it stopped and they never made another vid to continue it on.
Yea the OVA did vol 1+2, which i'm sure from the preview is what this is going to work off of.

Siliconemelons

Wasn't there a "similar" concept movie a few years ago... Tom Cruise? The whole "haves live up in deesky"

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the eyes aren't exactly off-putting to me, but they definitely stand out as odd. artistically, large eyes signify innocence and wonder. i don't know anything about the IP, maybe that makes sense for the character, maybe it's just a bizarro design choice.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The eyes are a bit off putting and creepy. I half think deliberately so. Probably in part out of loyalty to the source materiel. But it's certainly a risk putting that kind of hurdle in front of audiences who have little to no experience with anime in general. But there is a payoff to be had if they become accustomed to it over the course of the movie and her story makes her a compelling character people can get behind. The sense that you were helped over that hurdle can make it more satisfying in the end.

A lot of if's there though.

• 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Never heard about this anime but it looks cool.
My only complaint is the cgi slomo bits. I thought that shit was old news , still will see this in a movie theater.

Although we have Cameron's involvement, remember that this is another Japanese manga/anime made by Hollywood nonetheless. So...for the fans, be very cautious.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database