Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
takemymoney.jpg

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Trailer looked bad, marketed for women I guess.

Looks like an art house exploration of humanity via cyborgs with a CGI action scene in it. I could just buy Ex Machina.

I assume there's more to it, I'm just complaining about the trailer.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Well... I only have seen the OVA - but even in it, there is not just "one thematic thread" and because of that everyone can see it as a "XYZ film" - so if you want "female empowerment" sure, that was not really my take, but okay. If you want the conflict between Human, cyborg and the variant degrees of "human" or "machine" okay... if you want a story about death, disgardment, revival and finding who you are... okay... a story about the slum and discarded of the world fighting to be better and leave the have-not world for the haves... okay (as imo that's the large overall world plot, and the others are plots of how the main character is interacting with all the other characters etc.)

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I passed on Ghost in the Shell in the theaters but I saw it later and it turned out better than I expected. I'd be willing to give this a chance, at the risk of having my heart broken.

• 3Barf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
It looks good but I don't know the source material well. Time to correct that part.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
'Marketed for women?' Yeah-ah okay buddy. Because they'll be turning out in droves to see a movie starring a neotenized huge-eyed girlbot.

Here's hoping there's several more passes on the CGI before release, but there's no fixing that floaty sort've Disney styling. It works in animation, looks awful when its bumped up to uncanny valley CGI.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Think the trailer looks good. Eyes don’t bother me. I just assume it means Alita is different from everyone, other cyborgs included.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yo what... shit that looked almost perfect.

Eyes are a bit odd. I dont "anime" eyes were intended to be literal. But, here it does make the how "android" thing more unnerving intentionally.
or, its a James cameron fetish, after the navi anime eyes..

Ryanz

<Banned>
Looks like they forgot to turn off the snapchat filter when they recorded her parts.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
James Cameron certainly knows how to take his time with projects. I remembered his name being attached to a Hollywood version of this from Way ago.

I did a quick Google-fu he had the domain name registered back in mid 2000.

So yeah nearly twenty years to get it done.

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Cameron picked up the movie rights to it almost 20 years ago and back burnered it saying that the tech to do it right needed to evolve first.

Incidentally the big cyborg who gets his head slammed through the table is played by the same guy who was the shit heel who gave Deadpool his powers.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Cameron picked up the movie rights to it almost 20 years ago and back burnered it saying that the tech to do it right needed to evolve first.

Incidentally the big cyborg who gets his head slammed through the table is played by the same guy who was the shit heel who gave Deadpool his powers.
Ed Skrein is the actor...he is also the guy who turned down a role in the new hellboy movie because the character in the comics is asian and he didnt want to be part of hollywood "white washing"

• 1Barf

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I still have Alita on ... wait for it.... VHS ... pity i don't have a VHS player.
This looks great, big eyes stand out but i picked it as a nod to the original.
I hope this does well and is R rated.

• 2Like

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
/shrug Guess Cameron is into that.

It's not like Avatar's Navi weren't Anime-bait either (and I suppose the entire plot of that movie would have played very differently if the Navi had been a species of fat, smelly troglodytes, full of warts).