All things Brandon Sanderson

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm generally bad at remembering details and stuff, so I can't really remember if this was the case in prior books, but there is way more talk about the Cosmere than I was expecting.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm generally bad at remembering details and stuff, so I can't really remember if this was the case in prior books, but there is way more talk about the Cosmere than I was expecting.
I believe Sanderson has said that the final mistborn trilogy will be heavy into the cosmere.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think there is supposed to be a hoid book at some point

“The last chronological book of the Cosmere Sequence is the final Mistborn book,” Sanderson said. “So the way that the structure works right now [is]: Elantris, Mistborn Era One, Stormlight Archive first five, Mistborn Era Two [and Three], Elantris 2 and 3, Stormlight Archive 6-10, then the final Mistborn Era.

“Era four of Mistborn will be the last chronologically,” Sanderson continued. “We will have the flashbacks to Dragonsteel after Stormlight 10 but before Era four of Mistborn. If I manage to get that all done before I die, then there’s a decent change I will write other Cosmere books…probably during this timeframe. Unconnected or only tangentially related. But I do intend that to be the final book of the Cosmere sequence and I have no plans for anything chronologically after that.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
In regards to my earlier spoiler/question, and I still have 5 hours left in the audio book

After meeting the other cosmere people I kind of think Moonlight might be Shallan, not Jasnah. Codenames feels like that was the name or a reference or something in one of the recent Stormlight books? Hard to say. Twinsoul kind of feels like the Warbreaker guy, but none of the powers ring a bell. My memory for details like this stuff is overall terrible though

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Solid ending to era 2. How long is the time jump supposed to be to era 3? I feel like it might be shorter than I thought in my head

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
My impression is that she's an elantran based on the stamps and her transforming and writing all those sigils. I had the same thought you did initially but Shallan's identity issues seemed more like a mental illness than an actual power...her powers weren't dependent on which voice in her head was dominant.

I really enjoyed this book. I can't believe it's been 6 years since the last one so I had to watch some videos to brush up but I loved everything about this novel. I also have a feeling Era 3 won't be that big a time jump based on how things ended.

It would be the biggest tease on the planet to suggest Wax is a proper mistborn now and then not use that character again. We also have loose threads with the Bands of Mourning and potential war with the Malwithe. And finally that little conversation with Kaladin urging Sazed to start pushing them to develop faster instead of waiting for it to happen naturally, so I expect the next era will still be in Wax's life time, though with technology advancing at break-neck speed.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Solid ending to era 2. How long is the time jump supposed to be to era 3? I feel like it might be shorter than I thought in my head
I think Sanderson said 50-70 years will be the time jump.

I loved this book just for the expanded cosmere but was disappointed that we won't get any more wax stories and there seemed to be so much hanging.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think Sanderson said 50-70 years will be the time jump.

I loved this book just for the expanded cosmere but was disappointed that we won't get any more wax stories and there seemed to be so much hanging.
I feel like it's hard to say, because life extending stuff is at play so if he wants to keep characters around he definitely has the means to already. I do think the Wax and Wayne stuff is some of his better more recent works.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I feel like it's hard to say, because life extending stuff is at play so if he wants to keep characters around he definitely has the means to already. I do think the Wax and Wayne stuff is some of his better more recent works.
I agree, I have liked the last couple of mistborn books better than the last couple of stormlight books. Helps that the characters aren’t completely retarded and don’t sit around crying all the time like the stormlight characters.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I liked most of this book and it was a decent way to end the series. What I very much disliked was the cosmere stuff. It felt out of place and the characters brought in new systems that did were not established and just felt bad.

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh I missed this release. Might need to buy it on Audible if it is available there. Was a long time since I "read" the other books though so hope it's not too hard to jump into.

Also missed Secret History, probably should start with that one.

Last edited:

gryphawk

Trakanon Raider
I liked most of this book and it was a decent way to end the series. What I very much disliked was the cosmere stuff. It felt out of place and the characters brought in new systems that did were not established and just felt bad.

This.

I've really enjoyed all of his other books, but at around 72% in I rage quit and read another (totally different) book, then returned and finished this - redeemed itself in the end, and I really enjoyed it, but the new cosmere stuff was pulling all sorts of new things out of thin air which just felt off and a little irritating.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just find I shed the first half from Graphic Audio. The second half doesn’t release until the first/second week of Jan. Really enjoying it so far.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
This was pretty good, maybe too much maressy, got me to finally grab the graphic audio for stormlight 4 which I was putting off after slogging through book 3, van barely remember what was going on but we will see

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This was pretty good, maybe too much maressy, got me to finally grab the graphic audio for stormlight 4 which I was putting off after slogging through book 3, van barely remember what was going on but we will see
That's my problem these days. I've gone through so many books in my life, and even with someone like Sanderson who writes at a decent enough pace, there is always just so much I've gone through between the previous books and the current book that I don't remember shit. Lots of things will trigger little bits of "oh yeah that happened" but I'm sure I miss a lot of detail. For this one trying to remember original Mistborn trilogy for context was like fuck I don't remember anything.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That's my problem these days. I've gone through so many books in my life, and even with someone like Sanderson who writes at a decent enough pace, there is always just so much I've gone through between the previous books and the current book that I don't remember shit. Lots of things will trigger little bits of "oh yeah that happened" but I'm sure I miss a lot of detail. For this one trying to remember original Mistborn trilogy for context was like fuck I don't remember anything.
When I was younger I thought I could remember every detail of everything. Now the buffer is full and/or my brain is aging. I used to re-read previous works for each new addition, but now with work and family and the insane volume of modern entertainment media production I don't have time for that and resort to a policy of only reading completed series so I can go through them in one fresh shot.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users