Altered Carbon

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
just finished watching today. it was alright, started out strong but really lost the spark at the last couple of episodes. what was the point of the lizzie character anyway? was she supposed to see the future and was that ever explained? the whole thing with his sister being another meth but still needing bancroft for some reason to get her brother, even though she evidently had so much pull that she was controlling the police etc. the interesting part was of course the philosophical aspects of how a world would be where death of the body was more or less meaningless, where anyone can basically be anyone, and so on... and of course it's not nearly explored enough in the show. overall maybe 6/10.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lizzie was a strong, empowered, fairly unattractive black woman who was catapulted to success based on the virtue of her past oppression and victimhood. That was the point of her character.

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Started this a couple days ago. Spunky cop bitch is hot as hell. Heard about the novel before but never picked it up. Thinking about nabbing it and the other two. Damn good show, have yet to finish.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

don't think of Joel Kinnaman as that big a star, but apparently he was paid $350k per show for the 1st season

could understand the show wanting to go with someone else to save money, but wonder why he would skip that kind of pay.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
The saving grace towards the end, is how undeniably hot Ortega is.

Last edited:
  • 6Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Glancing through the thread while avoiding certain pages, it seems book readers have objections that I've not picked up on after several episodes. The heady sci fi stuff is interesting so far. Has easily piqued my curiosity to read the books. See how it deviates from the source material.

Dig the idea of using sleeves as a feasible excuse for different actors in future seasons but prefer a serialized format over separate stories for this kind of show. Uncertain how that would involve the other books not having read them yet.

The brutality of the world is great for a Netflix show. Thought it would be more like Daredevil or a decent syfy production & visually the show is stunning and shit.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I really, really enjoyed the show until episode 6 or 7? Whenever it was that the story pivoted away from trying to hunt down Bancroft's "killer". When the new storyline was introduced, it just fell off a cliff.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

was watching one of those "what culture" type top 10 lists on youtube
they talked about an interview with Laeta Kalogridis where she hinted the $70 million budget esitmate was way low.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I really, really enjoyed the show until episode 6 or 7? Whenever it was that the story pivoted away from trying to hunt down Bancroft's "killer". When the new storyline was introduced, it just fell off a cliff.

The big flashback episode is where things turn to shit for me.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
was watching one of those "what culture" type top 10 lists on youtube
they talked about an interview with Laeta Kalogridis where she hinted the $70 million budget esitmate was way low.
jesus. That's sorta crazy if it's true. On one hand, I can believe it based on how the show looked and how long it was in comparison to a movie. But, you can get a blockbuster movie done for close to that kind of budget.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus. That's sorta crazy if it's true. On one hand, I can believe it based on how the show looked and how long it was in comparison to a movie. But, you can get a blockbuster movie done for close to that kind of budget.
if any of that budget was to pay ghetto robocop more than a dollar an episode, they wasted money, hes so horrible.

spronk

FPS noob
Ghetto Kurgan made $350k an episode or $3.5m for the entire season. Most of the money went into the set design and CGI. They spent an insane amount of money on what is supposed to be one of the biggest sets for TV ever, I still am not sure what it was (the house? the cyber-street?)

Rime

<Donor>
Everything that was in the book was very good. Everything they added was trash.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
Yeah had to push the sjw down with the rich shit down our throats. And why is Ortega the only one with an Android part? Everyone would have full sleeves of that shit if it was that easy to get. Just dumb changes.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The rich stuff I don't mind at all its a staple of cyberpunk and sci fi. What I didn't enjoy was the way the show derailed at episode 7 and the weak conclusion.

Going to try reading the book and see if it's better.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This. I didnt give a shit about the backstory or the sister plot twist. They already had too much going on with the story adding all that in just made it a mess.

• 2Like