Altered Carbon

Cybsled

I was about to say read the series, but watch the extra special Ortega scenes ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
but you miss out on ortega, whom now is basically a diversity show hire
avL7Rrd_700b.jpg

My work "diversity" trainings were nowhere near this fun...

• 1Worf

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
but you miss out on ortega, whom now is basically a diversity show hire
avL7Rrd_700b.jpg
I already watched the show, but now reading some of the changes from the book, the book sounds much better.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
She's definitely hot in that pic, but she's one of those rare women that transcends to another level when they get naked. Most women you can more easily see minor flaws when they take their clothes off (not that that lessens them in any way), but she gets fucking better. Her body is fucking outrageous. Those tits are goddamn perfect, and I think I remember seeing she's in her 30s maybe?

Yeah, I know a lot of work with lighting, camera angles, makeup, etc. probably went into those scenes, but she had to have the raw materials in the first place.

On topic, I think I'll probably finally read the books soon as well. I really want to see more of envoys being badasses, which we didn't really get at all in the show.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
On topic, I think I'll probably finally read the books soon as well. I really want to see more of envoys being badasses, which we didn't really get at all in the show.

The Patchwork Man (character that became Dmitri the Twin in the series) and Takeshi are used to demonstrate the cool philosophical aspects of the Envoy. It's something I really liked.

A big part of the Envoy is this kind of monk like... state where you are able to repress the concept of the, "self" which helps in assuming any sleeve and just going to town. If you have no defined concept of your self, you can become anyone or any sleeve.

The Patchwork Man was not an Envoy but was able to do this because he was mostly insane. Even in virtual he didn't see himself as his birth sleeve. Just as like a silhouette of TV static. When summoned to the physical realm he took to a sleeve and caused a lot of havoc. He would have been a natural Envoy according to Takeshi.

IDK just a bit I really liked about the whole Sleeve/Self concept the whole series challenges.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
She's definitely hot in that pic, but she's one of those rare women that transcends to another level when they get naked. Most women you can more easily see minor flaws when they take their clothes off (not that that lessens them in any way), but she gets fucking better. Her body is fucking outrageous. Those tits are goddamn perfect, and I think I remember seeing she's in her 30s maybe?

Yeah, I know a lot of work with lighting, camera angles, makeup, etc. probably went into those scenes, but she had to have the raw materials in the first place.

When you get to Kovacs "making it personal" at the clinic, you'll appreciate the books a hell of a lot more then the show. The second book has even more action, and there's another pretty fucked up scene toward the end that makes you realize how badass Envoys are.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

Ethnically delicious.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finished this over the weekend, and never having read the books I quite enjoyed it. I agree that there were a lot of problems and the plot got a lot worse towards the end, but we had Ortega's incredible second nude scene to bolster it. Jesus Fucking Christ she is just about perfect, body-wise.

I liked a lot of it, but see the flaws in a bunch of things that I just chose to overlook. I pretty much hated the whole Lizzie thing, except I really liked the wife that got sleeved into a man, I thought that actor nailed it. I also absolutely loved Poe, and am pissed that he's gone. Even if he would have never showed up in another episode, knowing he's dead just irks me. I also thought grandma in the thug was amazing. Things like that really stood out to me as awesome, whereas a lot of the more story-related stuff fell pretty flat. I also really disliked how they did scenes like the AIs playing poker. The visual distortion effect was annoying. Sure, it let me know immediately that it was VR, and they carried that through most of the VR scenes, but sometimes it was just way too much, especially like the early Lizzie scenes. Also, maybe I'm just slow, but the whole whore falling in the water thing didn't make sense to me for a long, long time. They kept referring to it as some big important thing, which it of course ended up being, but when that episode started off with it, I had zero clue wtf was going on. Maybe I missed a section of dialogue explaining it, but if I didn't, not having read the book, I was totally lost.

I still liked it for the most part. It was mostly coherent enough and I enjoyed the overall premise. After talking to a friend that read the books I can see where I would have MUCH more preferred that they get into what badasses envoys were, because that really didn't make sense in the show. They appeared to be guerrillas that just trained but never accomplished anything, yet somehow they were feared by everyone, even 250 years later. Obviously they were leaving out a ton of back story there, that I even noticed it without having the book to fall back on. I would have liked them to spend a lot more time on that instead of all the shittier aspects of being an envoy they chose to focus on.

And again, holy fuck is Ortega hot.

I kept thinking the same thing with murdered girl. I was REALLY lost with that subplot until close to the end

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
When you get to Kovacs "making it personal" at the clinic, you'll appreciate the books a hell of a lot more then the show. The second book has even more action, and there's another pretty fucked up scene toward the end that makes you realize how badass Envoys are.
which one you talking about, just the big fight with the wedge or something else?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
which one you talking about, just the big fight with the wedge or something else?

Guess there’s two moments really:

The fight against the nanotech deal when he goes nuts is pretty good, but was referring to him slaughtering all of the Wedge. First time I heard it on the audio version, I was pretty blown away.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Guess there’s two moments really:

The fight against the nanotech deal when he goes nuts is pretty good, but was referring to him slaughtering all of the Wedge. First time I heard it on the audio version, I was pretty blown away.
they really managed to fuck up the wedge part then. so ho hum boring.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
No, we are talking about a scene in book 2 :) That's why I started it in spoiler tag.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Finally got around to finishing the last episode.

Meh.

Pretty much like everyone already stated, the sister and Lizzie just ruined this show. Never read the books but it sounds like everything that was added just didn't quite work out. The world, technology and people in general are a great concept so hopefully Season 2 will be better.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I liked it a lot, far from perfect but a solid 8/10. I dunno maybe I'm just getting soft on Sci Fi lately.

Don't get me wrong many stupid moments abound but still very entertaining.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This show mostly got me amped for 2020 or whenever the fuck we're going to get Cyberpunk 2077.

And yeah, Ortega's body. Fuck.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ortega's body is magical, I think there is just something odd about her body type or stature I cant really explain it. Someone nailed it when they said her physique really shines when she takes her clothes off, as when she is fully clothes it looks like she has the body of a 13 year old girl, I dont know if its because her legs are short, but she is still hot.

But when she was laying in bed....dat ass.

I liked the show. I thought the first 4 or so episodes were kind of....poor. The beautiful imagery in ultra HD is fucking amazing, but like some have mentioned it was difficult to keep up sometimes given the back and forth screenplay, the breadcrumb shots of important events, etc. The last 6 episodes were good TV though. They did a great job framing the clouds in the sky place and how it fit in with depravity and overtly lavish lifestyles of the ultra privileged. I kind of wish they would have focused more on that, which would have made the whole sister thing much more integral to the overall story.

If you really think of the plot deeply, its kind of fucking preposterous. So, you have this badass Envoy dude, the last of his kind due to some kind of digital virus outbreak, who was actually basically a terrorist and a criminal, spent 250 years on ice, is awoken by an incredibly rich person to solve their murder, (so rich in fact, he pays off the ultra powerful government that were the people who won that original conflict with the envoys in the first place....ok). Except his murder was a suicide, something they shouldnt have hinted so heavily at all along, as it watered down the climax. Then things get really fucking retarded when you bring in the sister, who survived that 250 year old conflict by betraying her own group to the enemy so she could......see her brother again? (who she was actively working with at that time...whether their cause was lost or not this is fucking stupid) She amassed an immense amount of wealth through illegal activities the next 2 centuries or so and built an "empire" all to convince a guy who has more money than she managed to make, to secure her brothers release? Wut.

Then Ortega happens to see a guy who owes her a favor that happens to work at a clone facility where all of the sisters bodies are stored. Right.

edit: I actually had to like go do some digging to understand what really happened with his sister, and apparently she blackmailed Bancroft in order to get Kovacs off ice. I guess that makes more sense, but I still dont understand her relentless pursuit of building a new life with "her big brother" after 200 years of serving up children and prostitutes to rich men for sport, like, what the fuck? I would figure she would have moved on by then, but hey, I guess its hard to comprehend 3 centuries of time when you are a human.

Last edited: