Altered Carbon

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This thread is fucking terrible, by the way.

Watched the first episode and wanted to see what people thought. All of you are just bitching about "it's not like the book." You realize how insufferable that is?

I am criticizing the dramatic departures from the book that make no fucking sense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grivyn

Molten Core Raider
As someone who hasn't read the books this seemed to miss the mark of what it was trying to convey. The jist seemed to be that immortal people do fucked up shit because they run out of life experiences so everyone needs to die at some point. Also don't know the book characters but seemed like they had a few token SJW characters thrown in (Muslim partner sacrifice stands out here) and it just didn't gel with the story they were trying to tell.

Overall was an OK watch but not something I would rave to friends about or rewatch.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
I’ve not read the books.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, one of the best sci-fis of recent years.

Most of the people complaining seem to be those who have read the book and don’t like the changes. I thought Kovac’s character made perfect sense - he gained a sense of purpose with Quell, his sister never did and lost more and more of humanity as time passed. It may not be the Kovac of the book but he was consistent within the show.

Quell supposedly discovered the ability to DHF - hopefully they build on that backstory and the implementation of the virus into society in a second season.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
well not HBO quality, but decent, I remember when the movie rights were bought up and Richard Morgan said he could finally write full time because of that. Glad it was given a mini-series instead of 90mins of Hollywood plot gutting. I cant see them making the next 2 books into a show, would be expensive as fuck. Also they are very, very different in content and style.

the sound mix on the dialog is kinda muddy and I had to rewind and turn the CC on in parts to catch a few words which is lame.

Also anyone who thought this was going to be 1:1 of the book has never met Hollywood before. Could be worse, they could have 'World War Z' it and used nothing but the title from a great story.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Also, Also,

Lanx Lanx ,

Its time to slow your roll, you're fucking up the thread. Go take a breather and come back in a couple of hours with less sperg.

If you keep sperging, Ill just thread ban you for a while just so I dont have to get reports about you.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx ,

Its time to slow your roll, you're fucking up the thread. Go take a breather and come back in a couple of hours with less sperg.

If you keep sperging, Ill just thread ban you for a while just so I dont have to get reports about you.
is it reports of complaining about the differences between book vs. tv series?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
is it reports of complaining about the differences between book vs. tv series?

No, its complaints about you posting like a retard. Now go.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I’ve not read the books.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show, one of the best sci-fis of recent years.

Most of the people complaining seem to be those who have read the book and don’t like the changes. I thought Kovac’s character made perfect sense - he gained a sense of purpose with Quell, his sister never did and lost more and more of humanity as time passed. It may not be the Kovac of the book but he was consistent within the show.

Quell supposedly discovered the ability to DHF - hopefully they build on that backstory and the implementation of the virus into society in a second season.

My only major complaint is that the series was a departure from the Crime Noire of the book. I have an extreme hardon for Crime Noire.

The overall direction is okay because it gives the series a place to go. The books after the first one are just (really cool mind you) Mercenary Adventures that Takeshi goes on as he immediately picks up where he left off being an engineered super soldier that is forbidden to have any kind of normal job. So he goes back to being a criminal and hired gun.

I wonder if it will further stress just how much of an advantage the, "envoy intuition" is over other people.

• 1Solidarity

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I can't quite put my finger on it, but this was just really not holding me.

I was excited to see the show, watched a few episodes but it was just not all that interesting. Once episode 3 rolled around I was doing chores barely watching it and I decided to not watch anymore.

The plot was dull, it's basically a "Made for HBO" style show, tons of boobs and ass and even a few dicks but the story felt shallow. They tell the main characters story thru flashbacks 20th time this happened I couldn't give a shit anymore and I just wanted to get back to the current story. After the 40th time it happened I was just tired of it completely and it was getting to the point of "Annoying guy that tells you about his vacation 30 times a day, asking if you heard about his vacation."

The characters are about as deep as characters on the Kardashians.

The world was kinda cool, bladerunner-esque but instead of feeling mysterious and dangerous it felt dull. The color scheme they used felt more matrix than bladerunner but blue instead of green.

The base story is that people live forever if their disks aren't destroyed and only the super rich can even "live" through having theirs destroyed. Like...at that point why wouldn't EVERYONE who murders just destroy disks instead of shooting someone in the chest?

I dunno, the story and dialogue seemed decent on the start but the only thing that really stuck was the dialogue but without reason to care about the characters the dialogue serves no purpose.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Holy fuck this show is diving off a cliff in episode like 6-7. This started out so great but goddamn I don't even know if I can finish this.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it goes off the rails at the end. I still liked the show though. 7/10 for me.

I fear his sister is still alive. They cut away from him blowing her stack so I fear she make come back down the road. I hope I'm wrong. That storyline needed to die as it was getting beyond dumb. I thought Lizzie kicking ass was pretty awesome at the end.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished this. I really enjoyed it. Great setting, great visuals, interesting ideas about the idea of being immortal and the consequences of that.

I agree that things went in a different direction toward the end and wasn’t as solid as the first half but I still enjoyed it.

I hated the main actor, he’s so awful that it was distracting at times. I just hope if they do more seasons that they give him a different stack..guy is really awful. Hopefully his original stack if that somehow possible, would be cool. I like that actor.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I just finished this. I really enjoyed it. Great setting, great visuals, interesting ideas about the idea of being immortal and the consequences of that.

I agree that things went in a different direction toward the end and wasn’t as solid as the first half but I still enjoyed it.

I hated the main actor, he’s so awful that it was distracting at times. I just hope if they do more seasons that they give him a different stack..guy is really awful. Hopefully his original stack if that somehow possible, would be cool. I like that actor.

in the other books Kovacs has a different sleeve in each.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
My only major complaint is that the series was a departure from the Crime Noire of the book. I have an extreme hardon for Crime Noire.

The overall direction is okay because it gives the series a place to go. The books after the first one are just (really cool mind you) Mercenary Adventures that Takeshi goes on as he immediately picks up where he left off being an engineered super soldier that is forbidden to have any kind of normal job. So he goes back to being a criminal and hired gun.

I wonder if it will further stress just how much of an advantage the, "envoy intuition" is over other people.

I'd agree that the second book is a bit out of place, indirectly builds the world but the story doesn't really tackle anything relevant The third book though was where the series really explored the implications of the universe.

The base story is that people live forever if their disks aren't destroyed and only the super rich can even "live" through having theirs destroyed. Like...at that point why wouldn't EVERYONE who murders just destroy disks instead of shooting someone in the chest?

I believe in the books there is some mention that cortical stacks are very difficult to damage. Aside from that, consider that killing people is possible today but varying degrees of assault still occur - in the Altered Carbonverse pepole as people don't diealong with their bodies, killing the body is really just another type of assault.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Just finished. Overall its kind of hard to decide, there are aspects of the show I really like - the idea of living too long, all the hot naked chicks, sleeves and the soul, religion in that framework, how fucked the ultra rich can get with no limits on them, etc. The execution of many other ideas was not great though. And yeah, the wild branching from the books it goes after episode 5 or so kinda is a bummer, I can sorta understand why since the book 1 is basically 90% just Kovacks and that may not translate well into TV, just having one char be solo terminator Sherlock Holmes kinda guy. Still, it mighta been interesting to see that version.

End of the day though I am 100% glad this aired just because I got to see the gorgeous Dichen Lachman (Kovacks sister) naked, she has been a favorite actress of mine since Dollhouse, The 100, Last Ship, and now Altered Carbon. Episode 8, 44:12 for another 5 mins is Ms. Lachman and the mexican cop fighting and you see everything and it will give me a lifetime of boners

Also episode 5, minute 37:20 on has some nice shots of the mexican cops tits and ass so even if you are bored by episode 2, I'd skip ahead to that and watch a few mins and episode 8 (above) and be sad that this future is at least 200 years away, long after you will die a real death.

I also love how younger people are going to take the show, because it really does a bit of a mind fuck with the modern day trend of "empowering women and minorities, white people are evil amirite". Women go on total killing sprees, most of the bad guys are white men but then again the most evil are also women. Nudity is omnipresent but it makes sense in this context and its hard to sneer at it as just male fantasy.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You though his sister was hot naked? Her and Miriam nude scenes could have been done without. They both look like anorexia whores.. Ortega was well worth the show.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Good show, but holy shit the actresses for both Quellist and Rei were atrocious.