Altered Carbon

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
My buddy has a reviewer's account because he does a lot of horror marketing / promotion and thus had access to the first couple of episodes for review purposes. I have to say I am immediately hooked and very much on board with this show. I will say, however, that I have not read the source material so cannot comment on how close it hews to the original.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm ok with them changing the source material, it's a different medium and all that. As long as it's good, and as long as Miriam Bancroft gets balled the fuck out, we're all good.

More reviews are coming in and it's getting pretty positive reviews all around, so I'd say outlook is positive.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah honesty I'd say changing the source material is good, I just finished the first book and its "ok", not great. Its way more noir than sci fi imo, and doesn't do enough world building (at least in book 1) for my tastes. I also told everyone that the author was black because for some random reason I thought he was, and he is 100% native British lol. I think some people I recommended the show to (SJW types) are gonna be pissed with all the sex and violence, especially after finding out the author is whiter than Trump

I think I got the whole series confused with Pushing Ice, which is a fantastic sci fi book by Alistair Reynolds who has written a ton of hard sci fi. Altered Carbon was still good and I'm 100% in for the TV show but it was not what I expected, a hard sci fi take like The Expanse but its way more noire like Blade Runner.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The lead male in this (don't know names) played detective Holder in the killing, another mostly great show.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, "Blade Runner with lots of fucking and violence" is how I've described it to people.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just judging from that trailer but it seems they shifted the Kovacs Envoy backstory to Envoys being literal members of the Quelcrist Falconer resistance from his homeworld. Let us hope we get a lot of that sweet Quelcrist Falconer philosophy through the series though!

Minor possible spoiler:
This is kind of disappointing to me as the Envoy concept is really really cool. But I get that it would be a bit hard to understand on TV. TL:DR Envoys are a kind of elite special forces that specialize in being transmitted to a foreign planet into a totally different body and then going on their missions.

The whole body changing thing is extremely traumatizing to the average person and Envoys handle it way better and have their minds recoded so that they are incapable of hesitation and are adept at causing harm. On top of having a kind of intentionally designed emotional detachment that allows them to not give a shit about killing tons of people

Trailer points to that they just an elite resistance fighter. Dunno.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty pumped. Luckily it's been probably 10+ years since I read the book and although I remembered I loved it I don't remember anything else, so i'll be going into this fresh w/o book bias.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
also horrible robocop and dumb guy in suicide squad, so far for movies he's a dud

I don't think he's bad. You really can't blame him when the writing on both those movies were horrible.

This is available at 12 am pst tonight right? May catch a couple episodes before bed.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"I can now provide full guest amenities"

Show is off to a good start, imo.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
If you can watch it in 4K then you owe it to yourself to do so. It really pops in a way I have not really seen in other 4K productions

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
They fucked with the backstory something fierce, I was hoping for something truer to source material.

• 1Solidarity

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
James Purefoy never misses an opportunity to trot out his penis in any show he is in. lol

I'm only two episodes in and it's been pretty good so far.

• 1Worf

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If you can watch it in 4K then you owe it to yourself to do so. It really pops in a way I have not really seen in other 4K productions
Interesting. I just cancelled Netflix 4k since I found their 4k quality to be pretty shit. Now I want to upgrade again!

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
James Purefoy never misses an opportunity to trot out his penis in any show he is in. lol

I'm only two episodes in and it's been pretty good so far.

Same. Enjoying it so far. It has been awhile since I read the books, but wasn't the Hotel AI "female"?

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great show!... until episode 7. They fucked up the whole Envoy back story.

I'm pissed they didn't actually show the slaughter at the clinic. Could have been a cool scene like Punisher when the baddie come for Frank at his HQ.
I AM glad that the seem to have pushed all the Martian stuff to the background, super downplaying it all. Didn't even have the Sky Zap Zaps on Harlen's World.
Score: 8/10

I hope the future seasons don't follow the books. I prefer smaller scale stories.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hot tamale gets great body award, she should get some acting lessons tho. Show started to get boring around eps 6

• 1Solidarity