amanda berry found..more importantly, awesome black man in cleveland.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Whatever the normal sentence is for multiple counts of kidnapping, rape, torture, and unlawful imprisonment, and whatever other crimes. None of them are probably worth a life sentence, but ideally he'll be forced to serve his sentences consecutively instead of concurrently.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It probably will be multiple maximum terms resulting in some giant aggregate sentence, yeah. But its not unheard of for the most serious (pre-meditated, etc.) rape charges to be able to carry life. Judge can probably stretch the guidelines under the circumstances too.

Desidero

N00b
What the fuck do you think he's going to say? One year unsupervised probation before judgement?
It just seems weird to me that a person can describe a crime like this by each component - Gavinrad said that the death penalty is only merited when one of the individual crimes is a capital offense, which is probably in line with the law.

I understand that each crime has a specific punishment assigned to it, but it seems to me that what he did shouldn't be broken down into components. Even if it is and he is sentenced to a combined 300 year prison term or something ridiculous like that, what's the point? If a person does something bad enough to merit multiple lifetimes in jail and they are guilty beyond a doubt, why take the death penalty off the table?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If a person does something bad enough to merit multiple lifetimes in jail and they are guilty beyond a doubt, why take the death penalty off the table?
It is never on the table without a murder conviction. You're asking for a punishment to be considered that isn't allowed by law. That's not justice.

Desidero

N00b
It is never on the table without a murder conviction. You're asking for a punishment to be considered that isn't allowed by law. That's not justice.
Is it justice for a man to only serve 20-30 years of his 200 year sentence before dying of old age in jail? Why not just call it a 30 year sentence at that point? Does that seem like a reasonable punishment for stealing a collective 30 years from those girls and raping/beating them throughout it?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is it justice for a man to only serve 20-30 years of his 200 year sentence before dying of old age in jail? Why not just call it a 30 year sentence at that point? Does that seem like a reasonable punishment for stealing a collective 30 years from those girls and raping/beating them throughout it?
Is 200 years reasonable? Sure, and that's the sentence in your example. What if he does 2 days in general population before being "anonymously" stabbed to death? Would you be all butt hurt that he "only got a 2 day sentence"?

None of that has anything to do with justice though. Justice is ensuring he has the same rights to trial and is charged and sentenced under the same laws as anyone else would be, how that sentence is applied based on the details of the crime is up to some discretion. But you are bound by the law all the same, or you are unjust.

Desidero

N00b
Is 200 years reasonable? Sure, and that's the sentence in your example.
Excellent job ignoring the point of my post.

What if he does 2 days in general population before being "anonymously" stabbed to death? Would you be all butt hurt that he "only got a 2 day sentence"?
I think it would be a shame that some random inmate had to do the job that the state should've done in the first place. The "death penalty" in that case would be meaningless because the state didn't do it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I certainly wouldn't find a guy guilty of a capital crime based solely on the testimony of his victims.
Luckily, most people would. This isn't 3 random girls accusing a random guy. It's 3 girls in a guy's dungeon being tortured for 10 years. Pretend you're more evolved than everyone else and that it makes you a better person to not believe something that is obvious to the world, but you're not impressing anyone

Desidero

N00b
Yeah, we have decades of statistics from nations around the world that show that is not the case.
Do you have any specific examples from countries that are similar to the US (prison conditions/philosophy, social conditions, religious views, etc)? Maybe before/after stats for US states that abolished it? I'm looking for info on that right now...

*edit*
Most of the articles I found indicate that the death penalty doesn't seem to deter people from committing crimes any more than the threat of life in prison. You win.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, anyone willing to commit a capital crime couldn't give less fucks about what their punishment will be if they're caught.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Luckily, most people would. This isn't 3 random girls accusing a random guy. It's 3 girls in a guy's dungeon being tortured for 10 years. Pretend you're more evolved than everyone else and that it makes you a better person to not believe something that is obvious to the world, but you're not impressing anyone
Yeah and it's not like those girls could possibly have any motivation to say whatever it would take to get him the death penalty.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
why would he get a death penalty for rape and forced imprisonment. how does capital punishment work in USA again?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The death penalty is being talked about due to him beating the girl(s) until they miscarried. They are calling that murder.