amanda berry found..more importantly, awesome black man in cleveland.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
People don't know what to do so they gather together and hope things will work out. Which is probably more productive than jumping on a message board and discussing why it wont work.
This seems like the type of comment that they should have prayed harder and that would have somehow helped.

Caliane

That is totally not a fate worse than death. They will be ok in time. They are young and have a long life in front of them where they aren't held in sex dungeons and beaten until they miscarry. At least not as much.
The girls that went in are dead. Totally different people came out. if you think anyone can just shrug off that kind of shit, you are out of your mind.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yes, I think they can just shrug it off. And that is what I said, also.

They are the same people, some bad shit just happened to them. They have the rest of their lives.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Yes, I think they can just shrug it off. And that is what I said, also.

They are the same people, some bad shit just happened to them. They have the rest of their lives.
lol, yeah, they'll just shrug it off. Just like all the 18-22 year olds shrugging off Iraq and Afghanistan by fucking killing themselves when they get home.

You have truly jumped the fucking shark.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
lol, yeah, they'll just shrug it off. Just like all the 18-22 year olds shrugging off Iraq and Afghanistan by fucking killing themselves when they get home.

You have truly jumped the fucking shark.

Because that is just what I think, that they will just shrug it off. And I said that, ever. Perceptive as ever, Professor Cutlery.

Ben_sl

shitlord
The girls that went in are dead. Totally different people came out. if you think anyone can just shrug off that kind of shit, you are out of your mind.
These girls will never be able to go on with their lives without reliving this constantly because people are going to keep reminding them of just how strong they are and they are just sooooooooo proud of them for surviving.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Because that is just what I think, that they will just shrug it off. And I said that, ever. Perceptive as ever, Professor Cutlery.
Walking it back already huh? That's good, at least you're capable of realizing when you're being a fucking dipshit now.

You said "They will be okay in time."

No. No they will fucking not.

Guys that go off to war for a couple of years are blowing their fucking brains out when they get home because they can't adapt to life. Guys that spend 10 years in jail are completely incapable of functioning in the free world because they've lost the ability to handle it. And neither of those groups have even experienced half of the fucking bullshit these girls have.

Caliane is right, you are out of your fucking mind if you think they will be okay in time. There, I used your fucking words to say it, so that you can't walk it back and pretend that you're being misunderstood.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Walking it back already huh? That's good, at least you're capable of realizing when you're being a fucking dipshit now.

You said "They will be okay in time."

No. No they will fucking not.

Guys that go off to war for a couple of years are blowing their fucking brains out when they get home because they can't adapt to life. Guys that spend 10 years in jail are completely incapable of functioning in the free world because they've lost the ability to handle it. And neither of those groups have even experienced half of the fucking bullshit these girls have.

Caliane is right, you are out of your fucking mind if you think they will be okay in time. There, I used your fucking words to say it, so that you can't walk it back and pretend that you're being misunderstood.
Yeah, I'm not walking back shit you dumb motherfucker. You have some kind of hardon for me lately so you jumped at the chance to misinterpret my pretty blatant sarcasm and now you're all "oh I used your words."?

Yes, they will probably be ok in time. Yes, yes they fucking will, you overdramatic fucking woman. What world do you live in were every person who goes to jail or to war is just incapable of fucking living? Terrible, horrible shit happens to people every day and those same people somehow manage to continue living. Some even quite productive and interesting lives. No one said they will just shrug it off, least of all me. But I doubt they're going to just lay down and die because life is hard, either.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard seem to have found ways to cope and move forward in life. You have a pretty dim view of human resilience and fortitude if you are writing them off so easily. If what you're saying is true, then the police should have just euthanized these girls on the spot, what's the point of rescuing them? Put them out of their misery.

Noteveryonewho comes back from war kills themselves. And people do ten years or more (much more) and still come out and adapt to society. In the end it is all about the support you are able to gather around you in various forms, and to a degree the individual's will. Those are things that your stereotypical PTSD or institutionalized examples most likely would be sorely lacking.

Plus there's certain cultural forces that can keep macho ex soldiers and ex cons from admitting they need mental help to get through their issues. These girls on the other hand will have top end mental health attention from day zero onward without any real or imagined guilt concerns.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/11/justic...html?hpt=hp_c2

Article speaking specifically about how well Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Dugard and a few others are now doing. Of course it is not going to be easy, and of course there is a possibility they will never recover. But to sit there as say they have no chance of ever recovering is pretty dumb.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord

A SMALL MINORITY OF
Guys that go off to war for a couple of years are blowing their fucking brains out when they get home because they can't adapt to life.A SMALL MINORITY OFGuys that spend 10 years in jail are completely incapable of functioning in the free world because they've lost the ability to handle it. And neither of those groups have even experienced half of the fucking bullshit these girls have.
fixed that for you

Dude you're so black and white. It is certainly impossible these girls will forget what happened. It's very unlikely they'll manage to not have it affect them at any point in their life. But people are mostly resilient and capable of moving on even after severe trauma. That's a fact. Sure it'll affect their lives. It was a horrible thing. But that doesn't mean they're ruined. You're so black and white it's ridiculous. Didn't you say "chicken pox as an adult is basically a death sentence" once? A new word needs to be invented that means more than hyperbole because hyperbole doesn't even capture your argument style.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How would you describe Holocaust survivors, Cutlery? A good number of them went on to have long fulfilling lives. Surely, people who survived Auschwitz went through a comparable traumatizing experience.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
Uhh wtf.. It's not as if they knew she was a sex slave in a basement for the past decade. My question would be how long did they search, where did they search, what else did they do? You have to move on at some point and if they were posting flyers and crap for say a year or two then at a certain point you just have to say shit happens and try your best to move on. If the family had any indication whatsoever that she was in that house and they did nothing to assist, then that is definitely a cause for concern and anger, but obviously that isn't the case.

Would the girl feel better if they searched desperately for five to ten years and then killed themselves out of sadness? Being isolated from her family certainly isn't going to help her at all unless they are just terrible people in general.
Apparently her mother was abusive to her and her siblings before she was kidnapped. She abandoned one of her sons when he was 16, and he didn't even know his sister was missing until this week when she was found. He is the only one she has allowed to come visit her int he hospital. So yea, I doubt this is just about her loving mother giving up looking for her, and more that she just hates her shit head mother.

iannis

Musty Nester
Hell, none of that even matters. They could be the best parents in the world and never ever stop looking. They could be yelling at Congressional committes twice a month on C-Span.

Some of you seem to think I said that the parents should have gone all rambo and scorched the earth until the children were found. I'm not laying it at the feet of the parents, that is solidly at the feet of the kidnapper.

But it doesn't matter. The girl has a point. What the fuck were YOU doing while I was being beaten and raped for five years? Even if the answer is "looking for you as hard as I could"... who gives a fuck? Want a gold star for effort or something?

Even if those parents were wonderful people, getting that girl out of that situation may quite possibly be the best thing to help her heal.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
For those following the story more closely than I, whatever happened with that ESL neighbor saying he was the one who broke down the door? Seems like that came up then disappeared pretty quickly. Who actually saved the girl? Because the black dude is still getting all the credit from what I can tell

Tangurena_sl

shitlord
One of the kidnap victims, Michelle Knight, was a victim before getting kidnapped.
'Michelle doesn?t want to go back to her own family because they abused her before she was kidnapped and they only want the money now.'

[snip]

Freddie, Michelle's twin, recalled yesterday his shock at seeing her alive for the first time in more than a decade.

Knight himself, who says he was kicked out of his mother's house 16 years ago when he was just 14, didn't even know his sister was gone until he saw the news on TV.

Michelle was 21 when she was taken off the street in 2002 and little was made of her disappearance.

Her family told police that she had run away after her young child was taken from her by the Ohio Department of Family Services.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-DeJesus.html

Michelle refuses to have contact with her family.

But trouble began when Michelle was 17 years old and told her mother that she had been the victim of an assault at school. Knight said her daughter reported the incident to police but felt that her story was not taken seriously.

Soon afterward, Knight became pregnant and decided to drop out of school. She dreamed of eventually completing her education to provide her son a better life.

But Barbara Knight said that among her own greatest regrets was becoming involved with an abusive man, whom, she believes, injured her toddler grandson -- spurring a chain of events that led Michelle to lose custody of the child.

She vanished not long afterward, on a day when she was scheduled for a court appearance in the custody case, Barbara Knight said.
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...ed_by_tro.html

Michelle was raped by some athletes at school. Since they were sports stars, her reports were ignored by the school and police. Police refused to press charges. So she dropped out of high school to raise the baby.

The mother was a drug addict who invited her dealer to move in with her. The dealer beat Michelle's infant, but the mother blamed the daughter. So child protective services took the child. Michelle was kidnapped the day she was supposed to appear at the hearing to get custody back. The mother told the authorities that she ran away due to shame. 15 months after she was kidnapped, when the authorities tried to confirm Michelle was still missing, Barbara refused to confirm it, so the FBI took her off the missing persons list.
http://www.19actionnews.com/story/22...n-the-hospital
The following facts give rise to this appeal. A 35-count indictment was filed against Feckley on June 19, 2002. The indictment included counts for endangering children, rape with notice of prior conviction and repeat violent offender specifications, gross sexual imposition, intimidation, and felonious assault with notice of prior conviction and repeat violent offender specifications.

Feckley pled guilty to endangering children and felonious assault with notice of prior conviction and repeat violent offender specifications. The remaining charges were nolled.
http://statecasefiles.justia.com/doc...-ohio-3667.pdf
He appealed his plea bargain, and that appeal was upheld.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
One of the kidnap victims, Michelle Knight, was a victim before getting kidnapped.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-DeJesus.html

Michelle refuses to have contact with her family.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...ed_by_tro.html

Michelle was raped by some athletes at school. Since they were sports stars, her reports were ignored by the school and police. Police refused to press charges. So she dropped out of high school to raise the baby.

The mother was a drug addict who invited her dealer to move in with her. The dealer beat Michelle's infant, but the mother blamed the daughter. So child protective services took the child. Michelle was kidnapped the day she was supposed to appear at the hearing to get custody back. The mother told the authorities that she ran away due to shame. 15 months after she was kidnapped, when the authorities tried to confirm Michelle was still missing, Barbara refused to confirm it, so the FBI took her off the missing persons list.
http://www.19actionnews.com/story/22...n-the-hospital

http://statecasefiles.justia.com/doc...-ohio-3667.pdf
He appealed his plea bargain, and that appeal was upheld.
Jesus christ. Rape, no justice for rape, no support from mother, her own child gets beaten, child taken away from her, then kidnapped and imprisoned in chains for 10 years with frequent rapes, beatings, and multiple forced abortions. Her life almost literally could not have been worse.