amanda berry found..more importantly, awesome black man in cleveland.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
You know nothing about type 1 diabetes. Your blood sugar levels can drop randomly and unpredictably at the oddest times, DESPITE the fact that he takes a shot just before bed that is supposed to prevent such things from occurring. This is why it is very important that friends, family and SO's understand the issues involved, that way, when what happens happened, I can actually take steps to make sure he is ok. Didn't work this time obviously.
I do!
After 20 or so years, I've had 1 bad incident of low blood sugar and maybe 5 highs that required anything more than just extra insulin.
First, you don't take the shots to prevent low blood sugar, unless you are taking glucagon before bed instead of insulin rather than eating.
It sounds like your ex just had no idea how to control his sugar, especially if this was an idea that you were so readily prepared for.
And I was able to keep a decent control of my sugars at 13, so it's not like i required everyone else to keep a steady eye on me.
It's not hard, watch your sugar and mind what you eat.

And if his sugar was prone to dropping out of nowhere, i would take bets on him constantly giving himself the injection in the same locations which would lead to scarring and potential pooling of the insulin.
Which then causes his sugar to not properly lower as expected and he takes more. Once the pool disperses then you drop unexpectedly, but otherwise, it's a person in bad control.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
I honestly don't know all that much about him. He obviously had diabetes as a child. I was born in 84, and within a year or so he went blind. Died when I was 2 in 86.
Sounds like really bad complications if he ended up blind first.
The insulins back then weren't as good as they have become, so it could lead to bad shit if you had problems.
There was only the slightly short term and the 12 hour back then.
It's the crap i started on, was a pain in the ass.
Sorry to hear it though.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I do!
After 20 or so years, I've had 1 bad incident of low blood sugar and maybe 5 highs that required anything more than just extra insulin.
First, you don't take the shots to prevent low blood sugar, unless you are taking glucagon before bed instead of insulin rather than eating.
It sounds like your ex just had no idea how to control his sugar, especially if this was an idea that you were so readily prepared for.
And I was able to keep a decent control of my sugars at 13, so it's not like i required everyone else to keep a steady eye on me.
It's not hard, watch your sugar and mind what you eat.

And if his sugar was prone to dropping out of nowhere, i would take bets on him constantly giving himself the injection in the same locations which would lead to scarring and potential pooling of the insulin.
Which then causes his sugar to not properly lower as expected and he takes more. Once the pool disperses then you drop unexpectedly, but otherwise, it's a person in bad control.
I don't know if I was prepared for it; to my knowledge there were only two instances in the past, both of which were his fault. (And both were essentially instances where he thought he would be consuming enough to require him to be prepared with extra insulin; he misjudged, didn't eat enough to compensate and ended up having a seizure. Both times he was with family and friends so ended up alright.)

He has had the same routine relatively for a long time, with little change which was probably part of the issue. Since the episode I mentioned he hasn't had another, most likely because they updated his regimen. I won't presume to know as much as you or he, as my relative knowledge is up to and including "How to keep him alive" but I do know he often gets up in the middle of the night to drink an orange juice or a regular coke to bring his sugar back up. Nothing bad, just amounts needed to be adjusted.

Either way, like I said, these sort of issues are hard to really view without any sort of prejudice; I know that this case and my specific one ended up with "worst case scenario" and those might have at least been interrupted before it could get terribly bad or worse but did not.

I do believe he does inject himself in the same area so I'll have to think of a delicate way to suggest he vary the location.

I guess I've horribly derailed this; also i don't mean to make him sound incompetent. He does not seem that way to me most times and generally has a sense for when and if his sugar is off without checking (though he always does). From what little I've gleaned from doctor's visits, the same treatment one person has might not be right for another, and without updating the protocol I imagine you'd be at a disadvantage. Also, he works in a high stress environment on a regular basis, and apparently that can lead to some pretty nasty side effects with the disease.

The issue was merely that when you really know someone, their routine etc, and then it is inexplicably altered suddenly and drastically, you become paranoid. In this case, my paranoia was right; whether better attention to himself or a better regime could have prevented it is beyond me though.

Zitar

Silver Knight of the Realm
That 6 year old has to be screwed up. I can't imagine the horrible shit it has probably seen happen.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Mikhail: trauma is not a linear scale whereby if some soldiers experience PTSD then anyone in a worse case must therefore suffer PTSD. Individual differences are huge, andresiliencyis the norm, not trauma.

PS do diabetics get track marks like heroin users?

Mikhail: trauma is not a linear scale whereby if some soldiers experience PTSD then anyone in a worse case must therefore suffer PTSD. Individual differences are huge, andresiliencyis the norm, not trauma.
Understand that I am responding to an assertion made in a manner of certainty, not making one myself. I'm not saying that she definitely won't be alright. I'm saying that's perfectly valid to reject claims made certainly that shewillbe alright given how many times that hasn't been case (especially when that claim made certainly is only being made to try to defend some other completely fucking stupid line of argument about how there's no fate worse than death).

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
No, because we inject into fat most of the time, unless a shot into the muscle is needed for faster absorbing of the insulin.
We don't use the veins.
However, the injection shot can bruise pretty nasty sometimes.

Vex, if you ever notice knots under the skin in his injection spots then you might do more than recommend he rotate the injection sites better. Withhold sex. If the guy has this many issues I'm surprised the doctors haven't forced a pump on him. I've had a few lows that got by us from a defective meter. My wife noticed the personality change pretty quick though and I didn't break anything. I use novalog and lantus.

I was diagnosed back in 96, before the huge changes in insulin and that shit was scary as a kid with parents who didn't understand anything about diabetics. (I'm type 1) I'm still the only diabetic in the family, including in the in-laws, and it's tons of fun to be told what I'm doing wrong when all the diabetics they know weigh 250lb+ while I clock in under 170lb. Not to mention all the homeopathic cures the hippies try to push on me.

ON TOPIC!

I do hope the prosecutors will go after the murder charge even though I don't personally view abortions as murder. I just want this guy dead. Even if they fail to convince the jury that it is murder, he would still get life based on everything else so the only negative imho is the political implications if the prosecutor ever runs for an office.

Comparing these girls to soldiers is pretty dumb. Both situations has tragedy, but they are hardly comparable. For starters soldiers volunteer for the duty or enlistment and most at least think they know what they are getting into. After being kidnapped I'm completely OK never knowing whatever these girls had to volunteer to be given even a little kindness. This thing pisses me off enough without knowing all their details. The only thing we can compare this to is the survivor stories previously linked, and those victims seem to be doing damn well.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You know nothing about type 1 diabetes. Your blood sugar levels can drop randomly and unpredictably at the oddest times, DESPITE the fact that he takes a shot just before bed that is supposed to prevent such things from occurring. This is why it is very important that friends, family and SO's understand the issues involved, that way, when what happens happened, I can actually take steps to make sure he is ok. Didn't work this time obviously.
Really? You say I don't know anything about type 1 diabetes and then say stupid shit like taking insulin prevents your blood sugar from dropping? I can't stand chicks who do the whole "My boyfriend is this so I'm an expert" bullshit. You clearly don't know the first damn thing about diabetes so STFU please

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I do hope the prosecutors will go after the murder charge even though I don't personally view abortions as murder. I just want this guy dead. Even if they fail to convince the jury that it is murder, he would still get life based on everything else so the only negative imho is the political implications if the prosecutor ever runs for an office.
I don't either, but I don't think he can make a very strong case that is murder. Unless the Ohio murder statue is just crazy and I am not aware. If the prosecution goes for it I give them the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't do anything to jeopardize this case, that would be beyond career suicide.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Really? You say I don't know anything about type 1 diabetes and then say stupid shit like taking insulin prevents your blood sugar from dropping? I can't stand chicks who do the whole "My boyfriend is this so I'm an expert" bullshit. You clearly don't know the first damn thing about diabetes so STFU please
I never said I was an expert, and you're right, I did mess up the sentence - it should have said rise instead of drop. The shot he takes before bed is called lantus(?), the same thing Vlett has. It's a long lasting insulin that is supposed to help control sugar levels; it was the first thing they changed, especially because of the issues I mentioned before. (That he tends to take too much insulin as preparation and then not eat enough, causing his blood sugar levels to dip very low.)

However, my fumble didn't make you any more of an expert; you're still wrong. There are a number of factors that go into how someone manages their diabetes specifically; the issue both times before was that after taking far too much insulin for say, a party, he would come home and go to bed before he even noticed any symptoms. Once he was asleep, without the extra food he should have ingested, his levels plummeted.

Diabetics learn how to be safe, even on their own, but type 1 is a bigger beast. I know far more now than I ever thought I would, but it was also sort of very...uh, weird that we ended up together. I've always had low blood sugar problems; I was diagnosed with mild to moderate hypoglycemia when I was a kid, and would regularly pass out before anyone figured out what it was. As a result I always tend to carry candy or small bottles of regular soda. Not much changed for me on my end, except I'm far more wary about it, since me crashing is generally just stumbling to my feet and drinking OJ, and his crashing usually results in dislocations and severe seizures.

As someone who lives with this every day, I'm going to have to say yea, I'm far more experienced in this matter, and yea, him not calling me was a cause to be concerned. I'm certainly no expert, and if I'm not I'd have to say you are in no position to say that he "can't monitor himself".

In general, diabetes is one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Fucked if you go too low, fucked if you stay too high. Many feels for Vlett and Tour, because once I met him I became super glad that I at least take care of myself. Obviously, type 2 is an entirely different beast, but thanks to him, I'm probably more aware of what sugar can do to you in both high and low states. There's not a whole lot that terrifies me more. It's a nutty thing to consider that eating/not eating can be a big fucking thing. I also, had no idea before how people lost limbs because of diabetes - I do now, and knowing that makes me wonder how anyone can allow that to happen.

I totally derailed this. Sorry.

I did have a sort of on topic question as pertains to the abortion thing; are the mothers being charged with anything? Wouldn't they have to know what they were doing, or were these all without their consent? I think someone mentioned there was no consent, but maybe only as a "way it could be considered murder?"

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I did have a sort of on topic question as pertains to the abortion thing; are the mothers being charged with anything? Wouldn't they have to know what they were doing, or were these all without their consent? I think someone mentioned there was no consent, but maybe only as a "way it could be considered murder?"
They were beaten and starved to force their bodies into abortion/death of fetus... What the fuck would they be charged with? Even if not the case, ANYTHING done during their many years of captivity, torture, and rape would be considered against their will, wouldn't you say?

Mind fucking blown at your statement.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Confirmed not female.