Amazing Spider-Man 2

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Problem with that is the Ultimate versions tend to feel closer to real-life attempts at costumes than the 60's shit with spandex and letters and shoulderpads and shit. I mean just look at Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, BANE (V1), and The Riddler from the original batman movies. Awful. Now compare Heath Ledger's Joker and Tom Hardy's Bane and it feels a lot more 'realistic', even in a super-hero world.
I agree and was actually going to speak to a lot of that earlier but I guess I would prefer them to adapt the character from the original a bit more to maybe make it look and feel more familiar. Though, I understand their attempt to keep an element of realism. However, if i'm making a comic book movie, I've already stepped outside of the lines of trying to make it fit in the boundaries and potentials of "real-life".

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I agree and was actually going to speak to a lot of that earlier but I guess I would prefer them to adapt the character from the original a bit more to maybe make it look and feel more familiar. Though, I understand their attempt to keep an element of realism. However, if i'm making a comic book movie, I've already stepped outside of the lines of trying to make it fit in the boundaries and potentials of "real-life".
A comic book movie doesn't need to be real life, it needs enough realism to not be Batman & Robin.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the ultimate series (which coincidentally started with ultimate spider-man) was created to in a sense be more believable to modern audiences, and let someone just get into comics. which is why every marvel movie uses parts of the marvel universe (remember 3 different universes here, the main 616 universe, the ultimate universe and the movie [along with agents of shield]), it's more accessible, but then we have shit like the editors knew this was gonna happen and decided to make nick fury a bad mutherfucker, on purpose, effectively forcing him to play that role. (even tho imo he sucks)

which isn't a bad thing, look at our pacific rim thread... you are supposed to not just suspend disbelief, but throw it the fuck out of your mind and in effect "turn off" from thinking in order to enjoy the movie. most ppl still can't get over the fact, giant robo's why? cuz giant robo's that's why. (even tho pacific rim has it's fair share of pathetic acting with the SOA crew, thor's doorman, and the sunny guy... only good acting was done by that bone chilling screaming of the young japanese girl)

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I prefer Tobey over this new kid whose performance was near Hayden Christensen level of charisma.

Moreover, Spiderman 2 still stands as one of the greatest superhero movie of all time.
yeah....and we all know tobey and his carisma are inseparable
this dude is not good,tobey is 1000 times worse

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Spiderman 2 is great, I watched it when I was in a similar position to Peter Parker (broke and in University living in a shitty room 2 hours by bus off campus), so for some reason I have an personal affinity to the movie. Doesn't hurt that Doc Ock is a conflicted and interesting villain.

Plus Sam Raimi has a homage to HIMSELF in the movie

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
yeah....and we all know tobey and his carisma are inseparable
this dude is not good,tobey is 1000 times worse
Finally watched Spiderman 3, Eric Foreman should have played Spiderman since the beginning. He was a shitty venom though. They could have at least changed his voice.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Saw the trailer for this last night with Desolation of Smaug. Was that some Jamie Foxx/Doctor Manhattan villain, or was that just some new rendition of Mysterio/Electro?

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Saw the trailer for this last night with Desolation of Smaug. Was that some Jamie Foxx/Doctor Manhattan villain, or was that just some new rendition of Mysterio/Electro?
It's the more updated version of Electro more in line with the Ultimate Spider-Man comic and TV show. Sorry no big yellow starfish face mask for us.
frown.png

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
rrr_img_53029.jpg

We can justify a man wearing a spider costume, a giant lizard, and if they go with Doc Oc in the future a man with robotic arms but we can't go with the above? There are other versions of the costume as well that look great.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't think a shadowed picture of a lame costume is a very compelling case, when it'd end up looking like this when reproduced like that in a movie:

rrr_img_53033.jpg

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ok, I'll address the elephant in the room - was Ultimate Electro a black man or is this another one of Hollywood's attempts to make comic/book movies more PC and relatable to a broader audience? :p

Looking at you, Will Smith in I Am Legend, Heimdall, etc.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't think a shadowed picture of a lame costume is a very compelling case, when it'd end up looking like this when reproduced like that in a movie:

rrr_img_53033.jpg
I don't think you're being fair to the possibilities and abilities that technology lends. You are comparing what some dude in a $50.00 outfit he probably made himself looks like to what can be potentially done through CGI and some movie magic. I do agree however that it is probably much easier to make that costume look pretty tacky and far from intimidating but after seeing Loki in Thor/Avengers, I think it can be done and still be true to the character. Honestly though, as longs as the movie is good, I could care less.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's middle ground between the silly costume and making him Mr. Freeze.

This is Electro from the Ultimate SM comics.

406px-UltimateElectro442.jpg

This is movie Electro

spider-man-2-electro.jpg

And I think I finally figured out where the disconnect is and why some of you keep saying ASM is more like Ultimate Spidey when it's nothing like the fucking comics. You guys have been watching the cartoon and going by that. This is Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon Electro.

electro__span.png

And just for comparison's sake, here's Arnie Mr. Freeze. Which is obviously what he's actually based on.

Mr-Freeze.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There's middle ground between the silly costume and making him Mr. Freeze.

This is Electro from the Ultimate SM comics.

406px-UltimateElectro442.jpg
actually that's only his initial form, his final form (he was powered up somehow with kingpin, i forget) is basically dr manhattan.
here's a pic from ... spoiler, the death of spiderman (it's not a spoiler since we all know ultimate spiderman is now a black boy)
rrr_img_53058.jpg

yea, that gun? that's fucking aunt may, she takes care of shit in the ultimate universe (at this point the sinister six not only beat up jonny storm and iceman who were freeloading at peter's house, but peter was also near death)

and... i don't remember honestly if ultimate electro was black, i thought making him black was just a pun at DC, making fun of
Black Lightning
rrr_img_53059.jpg

yes that's a real DC character, they even tell you that he's not lighting, but BLACK lightning, like you were some dumb blind kid.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
actually that's only his initial form, his final form (he was powered up somehow with kingpin, i forget) is basically dr manhattan.
Good catch, that's from after I bailed on the series(issue 159). Definitely closer to Jaime Freeze version than the earlier one. Maybe I've been all wrong and the ASM movies are a perfect translation of Ultimate Spidey, just after the series turned shitty.

Far as I can tell from pictures Ultimate Maxwell Dillon(Electro) is black, but since he's all burned up it's kind of hard to tell.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Superman and Superman 2 predate Spiderman and are awesome. Far better than Xmen and at least to me better than Spiderman.
Really? We're going with Superman 2? Those Superman movies are fucking terrible. ASM was decent. Superman 1 was about on par even in the 70s I guess....but my god...this scene. X-men doesn't hold up, but I think X2 was actually a pretty damn good movie just a rung below Spider-man 2. All that shit pales compared to the Dark Knight trilogy, including Rises (That we call that shit shows how just fucking spoiled we've become by the quality of nerd movies in recent years. Go watch Batman and Robin again before you toss any dirt at anything Nolan did.)