Amazing Spider-Man 2

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Really? We're going with Superman 2? Those Superman movies are fucking terrible. ASM was decent. Superman 1 was about on par even in the 70s I guess....but my god...this scene. X-men doesn't hold up, but I think X2 was actually a pretty damn good movie just a rung below Spider-man 2. All that shit pales compared to the Dark Knight trilogy, including Rises (That we call that shit shows how just fucking spoiled we've become by the quality of nerd movies in recent years. Go watch Batman and Robin again before you toss any dirt at anything Nolan did.)
BOOM. I'm glad someone else was thinking this too....but I can't stand X1-X3. They just raped the story line too much for me. Kid rogue and iceman....ffs

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
X-2 is my favourite but they destroyed my favourite character: rogue
frown.png

joz123

Potato del Grande
X-2 was amazing if only for the Nightcrawler scene where he beat up a bunch of guys before getting to the president.

Caeden

The biggest issue with comic book movies and, really, all "nerd" movies is that everyone wants to be the first to hate, the first to look down their nose, the first to be Harry what's his fuck over at AICN, etc. I think its a by-product of the internet. I mean, the internet is basically in its teen years now and it fucking acts like it. I figure in 20 years we'll enter the Star Trek age when we all sing kumbaya and the internet is here for knowledge's sake. Probably not, but that's the problem.

People are just so fucking angry about every movie that comes out. Its fucking impossible. I mean, the LOTR movies were extremely finely crafted and in a lot of nerd corners, they get shit on like it was something SciFi put out. As an example, I didn't pick up what was so bad about this Peter in ASM. I mean, he had a douchey haircut, but he was updated for now like the Ultimates and frankly kids have douchey haircuts. We did too relative to the time. He was a smartass for the most part (something mostly missing aside from a few lines in Raimi's movies) and he was shown to be pretty damn smart which is consistent. And overall, the kid was a good kid also consistent with Peter in the comics. About the only thing I would "rage" about would be the fact that we still won't get the Gwen Stacy death by Norman Osborn payoff that was fucked royally in the first trilogy and might happen but be Harry this time around.

Also, nerds fucking hate creativity regardless of what they say. They fucking hate change, but you can't ask a creative person to bring something out for YOU to consume and tell them they can't exercise creativity. I view all this stuff as "re-telling legends." Back in the day, when minstril B sung the story of Robin Hood with a slightly different Will Scarlett, do you think some audience member stood up and said "FUCK YOU, FAGGOT! Will Scarlett uses a goddamn crossbow, not a longbow, you fucking amateur asswipe! You gave into the ye olde gentry pressure and made him a douche, ye talentless hack!"?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah that or ASM1 was a piece of shit. It is possible for a superhero movie to be bad. Did you defend Elektra? Because the only thing that put ASM1 above Elktra was a couple of the action scenes. I had more written up but it's pointless. Some of you think saying it's based on Ultimate Spider-Man excuses it being a piece of shit, when Peter in ASM was nothing like Peter in USM. Even if he was itdoesn'tforgive the movie being garbage.

Gah! I said I was done with this. I'm sorry, I'll stop this time for reals. Seriously. Sorry.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
There are overwhelmingly positive comments about a LOT of comic book and/or nerd movies, so I'm not sure where you are coming from. Yeah, there is always someone that will stand up and call them faggots like you said, but if that number is relatively few it is fairly easy to see them for what they are. Or, for whatever reason, just accept that they didn't like the movie. Not everyone does.

With ASM1 the opinions are a lot more divided, so I don't see how you can call it a case of someone just wanting to be "that guy" that hated it first. You're making a sweeping generalization that I really don't think applies to this movie at all. Since you posted it in this thread, that's what your generalization has to be applied to, and I don't think it is fair, let alone accurate.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The biggest issue with comic book movies and, really, all "nerd" movies is that everyone wants to be the first to hate, the first to look down their nose, the first to be Harry what's his fuck over at AICN, etc. I think its a by-product of the internet. I mean, the internet is basically in its teen years now and it fucking acts like it. I figure in 20 years we'll enter the Star Trek age when we all sing kumbaya and the internet is here for knowledge's sake. Probably not, but that's the problem.

People are just so fucking angry about every movie that comes out. Its fucking impossible. I mean, the LOTR movies were extremely finely crafted and in a lot of nerd corners, they get shit on like it was something SciFi put out. As an example, I didn't pick up what was so bad about this Peter in ASM. I mean, he had a douchey haircut, but he was updated for now like the Ultimates and frankly kids have douchey haircuts. We did too relative to the time. He was a smartass for the most part (something mostly missing aside from a few lines in Raimi's movies) and he was shown to be pretty damn smart which is consistent. And overall, the kid was a good kid also consistent with Peter in the comics. About the only thing I would "rage" about would be the fact that we still won't get the Gwen Stacy death by Norman Osborn payoff that was fucked royally in the first trilogy and might happen but be Harry this time around.

Also, nerds fucking hate creativity regardless of what they say. They fucking hate change, but you can't ask a creative person to bring something out for YOU to consume and tell them they can't exercise creativity. I view all this stuff as "re-telling legends." Back in the day, when minstril B sung the story of Robin Hood with a slightly different Will Scarlett, do you think some audience member stood up and said "FUCK YOU, FAGGOT! Will Scarlett uses a goddamn crossbow, not a longbow, you fucking amateur asswipe! You gave into the ye olde gentry pressure and made him a douche, ye talentless hack!"?
Dredd was universally loved by the few people who actually watched it. i had serious doubts going in, but i was immediately shut the fuck down by its pure awesomesauce.

Homsar

Yeah Im sure what he's getting at, iron man 1 was beloved a long with batman, avengers, dredd, kick ass, v for vendeta ect. Can't please everyone but majority loved it. Did constantine really get hate, its rated low but I don't remember people hating it that much

Caeden

I did like ASM; I was more on a rant related to some shit I read on a Tolkien site looking for comments on Hobbit EE and the recent Superman.

I hated Electra, FF, Daredevil, Spider-man 3, Iron Man 3, all the Blade movies, and Superman 1&2.

I was just ranting, but yes I liked ASM.

ohkcrlho

I did like ASM; I was more on a rant related to some shit I read on a Tolkien site looking for comments on Hobbit EE and the recent Superman.

I hated Electra, FF, Daredevil, Spider-man 3, Iron Man 3, all the Blade movies, and Superman 1&2.

I was just ranting, but yes I liked ASM.
Blade 1 is "cool",the other 2 are shit.
you can add:Wolverine movies,X-men 3,hulk movies,superman 4 (LOL),superman returns,batman&robin,greem lantern,catwoman (i think this one is in a superior league of shit) and the dark night rises.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It's a bit tricky to rate superhero movies because at the time when they came out, some of the ones being hated on now didn't seem that bad, it's just in retrospect now that we've seen the kind of movies that can be done when taken seriously, sure they sucked..

To me, the TERRIBLE superhero movies would be Elektra, Catwoman, Ghost Rider 2, Hulk (2003), Blade Trinity, Batman & Robin and X-Men Origins Wolverine.

Then there's the "MEH" ones (decent before but bad now in retrospect) : Fantastic Four 1 & 2, Daredevil (I still think Colin Farrel was terrible and ruined it), Batman Forever, X-Men 1, 2, 3, Ghost Rider..

So far I've loved every single one of the new Marvel Studios films, even the least popular ones like Thor or Captain America. I also enjoyed the Nolan Batman films except Rises which I thought was very underwhelming. I liked the Blade movies (except 3 as mentionned above) and oddly I like 2 better than 1 (I'm in the minority I think).

As for Spider-Man since that's the topic at hand.. I really liked Spiderman 1 and 2, 3 was utter garbage for me. I thought Amazing Spider-Man was "okay". The sequel's trailer looks good but all trailers look good nowadays, I'll probably see it but I have low expectations.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FF 1 & 2 were never decent. Especially 2.

X-Men 1 is still decent, X2 was and is good.

When Daredevil came out I suspect you'd find a similar split as we have with ASM. Leaning more towards people finding it shitty.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I liked TDKR and I think Superman Returns is underrated.
Every time I watch TDKR it gets better and better to me. It was never going to be as good as TDK, but it was quite good at wrapping up "his" trilogy.

Superman Returns got worse the 2nd time I watched the first half, have never watched it again.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I never hated Superman Returns, but it was a bit of a disappointment. I will say that the space shuttle/airplane scene is probably one of the best superhero scenes ever put to film though.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I never hated Superman Returns, but it was a bit of a disappointment. I will say that the space shuttle/airplane scene is probably one of the best superhero scenes ever put to film though.
I didn't like it just because of "kyrptonite". I'd rather have super being vs super being, not lex the realtor vs superman.

Caeden

My biggest issues with Superman Returns was kryptonite (I can almost forgive this because of the cold hearted stabbing scene) and that overall Lex was still just a conman.

Make Lex a fucking evil genius and give me my cold hearted breaking of Superman. I realize Singer was doing an homage that trapped Luthor as the hackey scammer. It's sad that Michael Rosebaums Luthor was more menacing in Smallville. Overall, I think Returns is more visually stunning than a great film. I also think Routh was a good superman because I always viewed him as a stick in the mud and that's pretty much Routhe's range. I didn't mind the son angle because superman needs weaknesses beyond kryptonite to keep the story interesting.

I think I'm a villain fan. I want the heroes placed into impossible situations where there morality is ripped apart. That's party why I liked the killing of Zod. I might have built it up more but it accomplished the goal of making him break his rules, and that is good narrative.