American Gods

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It's like a 12 year old read a bunch of fairy tale and mythology books, made up his own "cool" character and called him what a 12 year old would think would be a really a cool name like "Shadow Moon" and then crudely cobbled all this crap together

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think the book is good. Not fantastic. Not mind blowing. Just good.

It's world that was created in the book that is awesome.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I read the first 3 chapters of the book, watched the first episode and then finally just said fuck it, went online and read the entire plot on Wikipedia.

What am i missing? I don't see the appeal of this storyline or premise at all. Is there some amazing dialogue or characterization that happens later, because given the first 3 chapters i would find that hard to believe. How did this book manage to win any awards, and for what?
I absolutely despised the book, but the show (so far) is significantly more entertaining to me at this point.

To me, this was one of the most boring and uninspiring "raved about" books I've ever read (The Strain is maybe second, but only because it isn't as widely revered). The plot was terrible and the writing was so convoluted and unnecessary at times that I only finished it because we were doing that whole "Book Club" thing a few years back on either RR or FoH(ver1). I'm thinking that forcing it into a more visual and episodic medium can only be good for it. Already it is more interesting than the book, to me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Ok, so I'm not the only one who holds that opinion.

Alright, I'm out - this show can get fucked.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can't wait until people learn who Shadow is, if they even reveal it in the series. It's going to be Idris Elba Heimdall all over again.

Now I'm really fucking confused. When Ricky Whittle was cast some people accused the show of whitewashing even though the actor isn't white lol.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
With a name like that and the fire-eyeball bison, I figured he had something to do with some Native American malarkey.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Now I'm really fucking confused. When Ricky Whittle was cast some people accused the show of whitewashing even though the actor isn't white lol.
English people don't count as black anymore, the guy in Star Wars was the last straw in high profile black roles not going to urban folks.

As for who "Shadow Moon" is,
wikipedia says he is basically Thor whom Odin/Wednesday has manipulated his whole life from fucking his mom until now, to take the bodyguard role and do the plot

I was really dissapointed when I realised that the russian guy WASN'T Zeus... who the fuck cares about Russian Pagan Gods!?

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Wow, Id genuinely forgotten that. How fucking stupid. At least in this case its the author being a SJW idiot instead of Hollywood casting idiocy. Right? Wasnt shadow moon black in the book too?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
who the fuck cares about Russian Pagan Gods
250?cb=20150216032015

• 1Like

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Might've forgotten most of the book but pretty sure Shadow Moon is supposed to be Baldr, not Thor (very white propably in the mythos but doesn't really matter in the book). More like an Achilleus-type figure

Czernobog is a cool character and they got the best russian (swedish) actor to play that slav god.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I also read the wiki synopsis and I'm not sure how they have enough for a season 2 unless they go off book?

They've said they plan to go off-book. This season is supposed to cover the first third of the book, but later seasons will incorporate material from a sequel Gaiman has been working on.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Might've forgotten most of the book but pretty sure Shadow Moon is supposed to be Baldr, not Thor (very white propably in the mythos but doesn't really matter in the book). More like an Achilleus-type figure

This.

The slav gods are just showing the fucking enormous amount of deities worshiped by people over millennia. All these things people worship and fear and eventually they're all but forgotten. I mean at his height Czernobog could've had hundreds of thousands or even millions who feared him. Now? That number is probably in the hundreds out in Whofuckingcaresaslavia.

Cybsled

I was really dissapointed when I realised that the russian guy WASN'T Zeus... who the fuck cares about Russian Pagan Gods!?

I was going to say Araysar, but he noped out! lol

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
English people don't count as black anymore, the guy in Star Wars was the last straw in high profile black roles not going to urban folks.

As for who "Shadow Moon" is,
wikipedia says he is basically Thor whom Odin/Wednesday has manipulated his whole life from fucking his mom until now, to take the bodyguard role and do the plot

i dont think even the russians remember who their pagan gods were, i just looked them up and i barely remember any of these names like Perun.

Last edited:

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
i dont think even the russians remember who their pagan gods were, i just looked them up and i barely remember any of these names like Perun.

The only one I remember offhand is Baba Yaga and that is only because of D&D.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
The only one I remember offhand is Baba Yaga and that is only because of D&D.

Well, Baba Yaga isn't a god, she is basically a kind of witch that parents scare their kids with, akin to the one in Hansel and Gretel. She probably came out of the same folk tale tradition around 1600s

Royal

Well, Baba Yaga isn't a god, she is basically a kind of witch that parents scare their kids with, akin to the one in Hansel and Gretel. She probably came out of the same folk tale tradition around 1600s

Yeah she was just a lesser demi-god in the game materials (and obviously no historical relevance there).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So this show is like Watchmen. Its considerably better if you've read the book beforehand.

Royal

Probably gonna be some rustled jimmies after this one. Or maybe I should say some sand in some ... oh never mind.

Beyond that they're definitely slow boiling this thing with lore building. Which, as someone who hasn't read the book, is working for me so far. But I can see how some might be starting to get restless.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

Considering the prices everyone else is asking for shit, Shadow got a nice one with that hot night sister lol