American Hustle

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Was it anything like his boat story? He's funny and can't seem to catch a break (outside of his career, which is constantly exploding to better and better places).

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
As a Con movie, I don't think it was all that great. Having said that, the characters were beautifully written. The acting is top notch, and the fucking Ice Fishing story...
The wife and I felt the same, the acting made the movie.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eh, I don't see how acting can take a movie with a terrible plot and make it "good". But whatever. Yes the acting was good but the story just couldn't be saved. I didn't care what happened to anyone in the movie and literally nothing happened. There was no "long con" there was no payoff. The ending happened out of necessity for one of the characters.

I mean, why was Robert DeNiro even in this film? Why did they write the lackluster mafia plot into the movie when it had 0 payoff and no real connection other than "oh we'll artifically try to inject a little tension into the film". It failed miserably at creating that tension. I never felt like any of the characters were in any real danger. The mustache weirdo kidnaps the mayor and bale's character (can't even remember their names the characters were so forgettable), bangs them up a little and then just releases them, even though he knows Bale was working with the cops? Then Bale manages to invent a con at the last minute and the mob bosses are all like "Thanks for helpin bro, you're cool". What the fuck? This movie was so poorly written no amount of great acting could have saved it. It was about as boring a movie as I've ever seen. They never even explained why the original con Bale and Amy Adams' characters got caught for worked. Why were people willing to pay 5 grand to someone for a loan?That doesn't make any sense. "You pay me and then I'll lend you some money".

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Plot wasn't terrible. It just wasn't a brain buster. Characters and actors were what made the movie shine.

I think you're just bad at movies.

Tell me the movies you enjoy so I may tear you to shreds

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
It was enjoyable as a well acted set piece seeing what the 70's looked like.

Was totally surprised to see Eli Thompson, and Richard Harrow from boardwalk, Louis CK, and Robert Deniro. I was confused by Louis being in this movie, but by the end it really worked. He was perfect for that role.

eek_sl

shitlord
The movie was a mess. Reports are out that the actors were encouraged to improv a lot of the dialogue. They were asked to channel the character, and not worry about the script. Pretty much explains why some of the movie meanders and how the plot as a whole gets convoluted. Highlights were any scenes with Jennifer Laurence or Louis CK.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Going to watch this tonight as the screener came up a few hours ago, but have absoutely no idea what to expect after the past 2 pages of reviews.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Approach every movie with low expectations and you'll never be disappointed.

Khane

Plot wasn't terrible. It just wasn't a brain buster. Characters and actors were what made the movie shine.

I think you're just bad at movies.

Tell me the movies you enjoy so I may tear you to shreds
Wayne's World 1 & 2

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Wayne's World 1 & 2
rrr_img_55218.jpg

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Focusing on the plot in a character piece is usually not going to make you enjoy the movie.

Khane

Calling a movie a "character piece" when it's clearly advertised as a con/action movie is excusing it's mediocrity for no good reason.

Remember when people started excusing how terrible the writing for LOST got after it ended? "Oh it was a character piece, it was about the relationships they built". Please.

I will agree the acting was good. But it didn't save the awful story and terrible pacing.