Ancient Civilizations

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not trying to start a fight, but I find this kind of "archaeology" exactly as convincing as tarot readings.

I buy parts of it, e.g. the carbon dating. Its the speculation that "hey this random ass rock or log looks like X" that I find laughable.

Its literally people looking at cloud formations, saying that one looks like a dog, then publishing "studies" about "Scientists prove that aerial dogs exist"

I'm not even skeptical about the conclusions. Just the speculative bullshit they use to get there and pretend its science.
Ever since this discovery

I am far less skeptical of ancient civilization theories. To think they were woodworking a million years after making obsidian axes isn't absurd at all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Thats a very good example of the kind of absolute horse shit I'm talking about.

Its literally a funny shaped rock. And from that, they spin some whole just-so story about the civilization that made it.

I'm on board with ancient civ but shit like this should be laughed out of the field not published in nature.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thats a very good example of the kind of absolute horse shit I'm talking about.

Its literally a funny shaped rock. And from that, they spin some whole just-so story about the civilization that made it.

I'm on board with ancient civ but shit like this should be laughed out of the field not published in nature.
Did you read the article? 578 "funny shaped rocks" that look like axe heads is not something that happens naturally.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fair. I don't actually have a big bone to pick with the notion that these funny shaped rocks were shaped by people.

Just with all the speculation that flows from that point.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You're not exactly alone in your opinion. Its just most people dont care or give a damn about what these people say and I think thats how they get away with the most illogical "evidence" that they have at times. Not only that, but with whats came out about the archaeology and the accepted theories in the past couple of years - if you're not in the echo chamber, you're an outcast and will rarely, if ever, see any funding directed your way. "How do they know its that old?" "They dated it with a piece of wood that was in the area of the ruins." "Oh, Im sure there was never any wood in that area after that. Makes sense."

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Did you read the article? 578 "funny shaped rocks" that look like axe heads is not something that happens naturally.

Welcome to Giant's Causeway

1696542753689.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What's wrong, you still a tired little bitch that can't find the reference?
Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land
Wow, you seem upset. Is everything all right?

Araysar and Chris can't find the reference either, so I guess we're all just tired little bitches that can't compare to the towering pillar of diligence that is you.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Welcome to Giant's Causeway

View attachment 493709
Yeah those don't look man made at all. Are you really stupid enough to think this is evidence against anything? Did you click the article and look at the images? I'm guessing not, like usual you just think you can shoot from the hip and judge headlines and be smarter than everyone in the room.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yeah those don't look man made at all. Are you really stupid enough to think this is evidence against anything? Did you click the article and look at the images? I'm guessing not, like usual you just think you can shoot from the hip and judge headlines and be smarter than everyone in the room.

LOL, Giants Causeway is a natural formation.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
LOL, Giants Causeway is a natural formation.
...yup, I know. That's why I said "evidence against." God you're fucking stupid. I did not think you were claiming it was man made, I understood your clear point that natural formations can look weird. Pull your head out of your ass, you're not as smart as you think, and other people aren't as stupid as you think.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
...yup, I know. That's why I said "evidence against." God you're fucking stupid. I did not think you were claiming it was man made, I understood your clear point that natural formations can look weird. Pull your head out of your ass, you're not as smart as you think, and other people aren't as stupid as you think.
I just assumed you were being sarcastic. A person who didn't know anything about GC would think it's manmade, but it's not. Just like a person would look at a bunch of rocks and would think it's manmade, but they're probably not

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I just assumed you were being sarcastic. A person who didn't know anything about GC would think it's manmade, but it's not. Just like a person would look at a bunch of rocks and would think it's manmade, but they're probably not
No one in their right mind would look at GC and think it's man made. Very different from hundreds of shards of obsidian worked into the shape of axe heads. Keep grasping at straws.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Whatever ancient being created those likely went extinct because they spent all their time making 578 fucking axes instead of using them to kill food and eat it.

In all seriousness, I'm not saying those aren't worked pieces of obsidian, but literally every article I have found on it shows the same couple of pictures, and the one where there is a ton of obsidian laying around you can't really see close enough details to tell if all of them are "worked" like the one they keep showing over and over. It would be nice if they showed dozens or hundreds of them close enough that we could definitely see that yep, those all look sort of similar and have similar markings. But at this point we are trusting that the single source that all of these articles are drawing from is telling the truth, or coming to the correct conclusions, etc.

Again, I'm not saying it is incorrect, but it is pretty clear this all comes from one source, and then dozens of other "journalists" are parroting it, so how much info do we actually have to support the claim? That's the issue I'm having. Maybe someone has a better source with more pictures and more details, but right now there isn't much to go off of.

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I like how this thread is being super critical of alleged million year old obsidian axe heads, but not the atlantean seafaring civilisation on a mountaintop building culturally distinct pyramids all over the earth 10k years ago.

• 1Worf

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Wow, you seem upset. Is everything all right?

Araysar and Chris can't find the reference either, so I guess we're all just tired little bitches that can't compare to the towering pillar of diligence that is you.
I'm not upset. I have the flu. And yes, that's accurate.