Ancient Civilizations

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm highly dubious that the only things remaining from an advanced civ is a bunch of overly crafted pots.
How did they date them btw ? How did they go through 10000 years without being weathered down like all stones ?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm highly dubious that the only things remaining from an advanced civ is a bunch of overly crafted pots.
How did they date them btw ? How did they go through 10000 years without being weathered down like all stones ?
they were in tombs and graves, under ground in dirt.
montalto-di-castro.jpg

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

They were buried in sand in the desert? IDK how granite weathers. But I think its more profound than that. With all skepticism applied you can only discern that the specimens they analyzed predated at least the 19th century. As they were gathering dust in some aristocrat's family vault or whatever and they had it on record that their ancestor acquired these on an expedition to Egypt in the 19th century. And these were just the one's the team was looking at. The Museum of Cairo and other places have other examples from the region.

Just looking at that at face value where did these originate then? If they are in fact Egyptian it communicates that Egyptians had an level of tooling they were not supposed to have and were able to do things they shouldn't have been able to do. If all of these finely formed granite objects were made in the modern period in the 18th century or earlier, who would have had the skill then and why would they only make weird hoax vases to confuse anthropologists? It just defies reason they wouldn't make big money off the skills they had and there would be more contemporary examples from the modern period that these were being made.

If they are in fact 21st century hoaxes again, what do you do about the ones that the Cairo museum has after you discard this lot as hoaxes?

I mean if you got any better ideas I am totally open to them and I am sure most would be.

What further compounds it is that these are of varying sizes so they didn't serve a single uniform purpose. If they were Egyptian, something so finely wrought was not used for the highest purpose a vessel could be used. Which would be a like a Canoptic Jar for the Pharoah's tomb or something.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
The spectroanalysis or whatever those guys did was using modern industrial engineering equipment. The engineers in the video work at Rolls Royce and they paid RR to use their stuff for this effort. It is confirmed that these vases were in possession since the 19th century in some aristocrats cabinet of curiosities.

The entire point that you somehow missed is that the human eye, human touch, our senses, etc cannot discern this level of variation in size (to the .001) meaning that some degree of tooling had to have been used to measure it.

So either:
1. Ancient Egypt had a degree of tooling they really shouldn't have had and doesn't fit into the historical narrative.
2. Somehow a hoax from the 18th century with tooling and skill that they shouldn't have had. If they did have this skill, they used it to troll future anthropologists of all things rather than make absurd amounts of money off it. Implausible.
3. Paying some shop to replicate these in 2023 and just get close to them would cost you obscene amounts of money.

So, I haven't a fucking clue. Sure is fascinating though.
There is another possibility, they aren't from the Egyptian civilization at all, but rather from an older more advanced one.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There is another possibility, they aren't from the Egyptian civilization at all, but rather from an older more advanced one.
of course thats a possibility, but while i believe that they are from an older civ, i feel like saying that is just passing the buck onto somebody else while not answering the real question. how did they make these? what was the process they used and how were they able to achieve perfection on so many things?

Chris

Potato del Grande
The spectroanalysis or whatever those guys did was using modern industrial engineering equipment. The engineers in the video work at Rolls Royce and they paid RR to use their stuff for this effort. It is confirmed that these vases were in possession since the 19th century in some aristocrats cabinet of curiosities.

The entire point that you somehow missed is that the human eye, human touch, our senses, etc cannot discern this level of variation in size (to the .001) meaning that some degree of tooling had to have been used to measure it.

So either:
1. Ancient Egypt had a degree of tooling they really shouldn't have had and doesn't fit into the historical narrative.
2. Somehow a hoax from the 18th century with tooling and skill that they shouldn't have had. If they did have this skill, they used it to troll future anthropologists of all things rather than make absurd amounts of money off it. Implausible.
3. Paying some shop to replicate these in 2023 and just get close to them would cost you obscene amounts of money.

So, I haven't a fucking clue. Sure is fascinating though.
Sure, all reasonable and very interesting stuff.

My issue is when people's solution is something even less likely like Atlantis or Aliens.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>

Thats the main thing that sets off my bullshit sensor

Not just the pots but everything else that is touted as "it couldnt be built/made with technology of that time" whether it comes to blocks, obelisks, household objects, funerary items, etc.

We can find all these examples of what was impossible to make at the time, but we can't find a single example of how. Not a single tool, not a single clay tablet with instructions, nothing.

What are the odds? :emoji_thinking:

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
of course thats a possibility, but while i believe that they are from an older civ, i feel like saying that is just passing the buck onto somebody else while not answering the real question. how did they make these? what was the process they used and how were they able to achieve perfection on so many things?
It's a fair point. When I hear this stuff I always think about a story from about 15 years ago, the workers in a metal shop were told that they would be replaced soon for high tech machines with greater precision because that degree of precision was needed for the metalwork of the future. After installation of the initial equipment the business owners quickly found out that the guys in the shop could produce almost anything with higher degrees of precision than the computer built stuff. The computer aided stuff was for higher quantity.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't ever hand wave away the idea that a skilled person with hand tools can create amazing stuff. I think the evidence suggests though that the older Egyptian stuff was likely from an older civilization since the vases etc produced by then just after that were of significantly lower quality.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thats the main thing that sets off my bullshit sensor

Not just the pots but everything else that is touted as "it couldnt be built/made with technology of that time" whether it comes to blocks, obelisks, household objects, funerary items, etc.

We can find all these examples of what was impossible to make at the time, but we can't find a single example of how. Not a single tool, not a single clay tablet with instructions, nothing.

What are the odds? :emoji_thinking:
The only thing that confuses that is that nobody is contesting that the vases they have come from at least the 18th century and have been sitting in a vault in some British country house since then. That guy talks about how many of the existing artifacts like those big black statues and the Serrappeum giant black boxes also come from that old civilization. But later civilizations like the Egyptians just usurped them. Which as a concept I find completely believable. The Kartoosh of Ramses II is so ubiquitous and seemingly on everything in Egypt that it is plainly recognizable lol.

Chris Chris seems to me an ancient civilization that came to the conclusions we came to in the modern period, just thousands of years ago, is just as plausible in this case. I discard anything with aliens mentioned outright. I think it is more difficult for me to process the idea that some ancient civilization went down a wildly different tech-tree path or something like that.

Goonsquad Officer
My grampa was a machinist. He said he was asked to make a part that was to be used in a space capsule or some shit. He asked the tolerance for precision. They told him none. Needs to be perfect. He made it on their 60s Era lathe/machine (not sure what he did it on)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My grampa was a machinist. He said he was asked to make a part that was to be used in a space capsule or some shit. He asked the tolerance for precision. They told him none. Needs to be perfect. He made it on their 60s Era lathe/machine (not sure what he did it on)
Well the only real answer to this is that your gramps is a time traveler, since that sort of thing can't be replicated by people today, even with technology. Did he know any of the Ramses?

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no lathes, no wheels and only bronze or stone tools 5000 years ago.

Goonsquad Officer
Well the only real answer to this is that your gramps is a time traveler, since that sort of thing can't be replicated by people today, even with technology. Did he know any of the Ramses?
I'm sure he satisfied the guy with a caliper just fine

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
no lathes, no wheels and only bronze or stone tools 5000 years ago.
They probably had some of that stuff and it didn't survive.

We mass produce this shit today, but back then the master craftsman probably had some secret one of a kind tools that were passed down until some invader broke them/melted them down.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They probably had some of that stuff and it didn't survive.

We mass produce this shit today, but back then the master craftsman probably had some secret one of a kind tools that were passed down until some invader broke them/melted them down.
now who's making wild assumptions? what you're suggesting is considered "ancient high technology". there were no precision tools back then. no drawings of precision tools back then. none of that stuff existed according to mainstream science. you are now in the same league as those ancient alien whackjobs you think we all are.

Chris

Potato del Grande
now who's making wild assumptions? what you're suggesting is considered "ancient high technology". there were no precision tools back then. no drawings of precision tools back then. none of that stuff existed according to mainstream science. you are now in the same league as those ancient alien whackjobs you think we all are.
Being open to them having some sort of crafting wheel or a single iron tool is a bit different from thinking that the Great Pyramid magnified sound waves to levitate rocks, or that they had magic handbags. There is a spectrum here.

I'm thinking about stuff like this that has been found: Sword of Goujian - Wikipedia

They appear to be fairly unique pieces and not found everywhere, was probably closely guarded knowledge.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
until we find it, it is all conjecture.

there are VAST swathes of relatively inaccessible land(mostly due to political theatre or lawlessness) that- if those old old maps are to be believed- had cities there,- the sahara.

what if all the statues, the vases etc originated from those areas.

unfortunately the mainstream scholars are not going what if, they are essentially plugging their ears and going la la la not hearing this on any potentially valid alternative. until investigated fully, we will never know. we are finding ~12 thousand year old stone village remnants in turkey who knows what will turn up in the next 100 years.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't doubt Egyptians had primitive lathes (hand powered or something) but there are a good amount of these things that survived to modern day. I doubt that a super secret stonemason shop could have hidden their supercool dude lathe and you would find other examples of items created using primitive lathes and less perfect results laying around.

Also, these prime examples of perfect tolerances weren't even used for royal tomb shit were they?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Being open to them having some sort of crafting wheel or a single iron tool is a bit different from thinking that the Great Pyramid magnified sound waves to levitate rocks, or that they had magic handbags. There is a spectrum here.

I'm thinking about stuff like this that has been found: Sword of Gou

I'm thinking about stuff like this that has been found: Sword of Goujian - Wikipedia

They appear to be fairly unique pieces and not found everywhere, was probably closely guarded knowledge.

jian - Wikipedia

those pieces were in the more modern age of 2500 years ago. those vases were already 2500-10000 years old when they were made. Stonehenge, probably not far from where you live is a testament to ancient tech and scientific consensus not being on the same level. still dont know how those blue stones got there.

Chris

Potato del Grande
those pieces were in the more modern age of 2500 years ago. those vases were already 2500-10000 years old when they were made. Stonehenge, probably not far from where you live is a testament to ancient tech and scientific consensus not being on the same level. still dont know how those blue stones got there.
They dragged them. Probably had some sort of wheels or rollers to help that didn't survive so there's no evidence for them.