Animal Crossing New Horizons for Switch

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Got the game already and I am glad I ordered it when I did, sold out immediately after. Distribution center must have been close because it was ready for pick by noon the next day.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Bought the game yesterday and have been playing with my son. It's cute/relaxing to play with my kids. My son loves collecting the animals. He has his own museum in front of his tent. I already told him not to touch my side of the island. My house gets delivered tomorrow along with the museum.
It's interesting that the game works off of real time and that certain animals show up at different times of the year/day. Gives a reason to keep logging throughout the year.

I discovered you can run if you hold down B. Don't remember the game ever stating that so that was a nice surprise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah logging in at night and sunset in real time is just like outside. It’s pretty awesome. And a whole new slew of content comes out based on seasons, day/night cycles, rain, snow, etc.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
A nice little money trick, that doesn't involve time traveling or spoofing.

If you hoard your tarantula's, Flick; a roaming bug vender will buy them at a premium. One of the random mystery island is a tarantula island, so you can load up there. I think the math is something like 150,000+ bells over selling it to the crooklings, an inventory of 29? comes out to 480,000 bells or so. There are images circling but don't care to find.

I'm so surprised by the amount of people who've come out of the woodworks for this game though. Whether it be impeccable timing, or really good strategic marketing; I just keep seeing a ton of 'first time'rs. Moreso than when I was playing New Leaf, it still felt relatively niche.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
deadtom.png

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well I think my son likes it. Surprised him with the Switch and game today. We played for an hour to get through the tutorial. He didn’t want to quit and was whining, upset when we did. Before he went to bed he said “That game was the best thing I’ve ever done in my life” I’m sure my wife will hate him wanting to play all the time lol

We haven’t really even done anything yet, just picked up some sticks and pears. Oh well just glad it wasn’t wasted money.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A nice little money trick, that doesn't involve time traveling or spoofing.

If you hoard your tarantula's, Flick; a roaming bug vender will buy them at a premium. One of the random mystery island is a tarantula island, so you can load up there. I think the math is something like 150,000+ bells over selling it to the crooklings, an inventory of 29? comes out to 480,000 bells or so. There are images circling but don't care to find.

I'm so surprised by the amount of people who've come out of the woodworks for this game though. Whether it be impeccable timing, or really good strategic marketing; I just keep seeing a ton of 'first time'rs. Moreso than when I was playing New Leaf, it still felt relatively niche.

Purely luck timing for me because of my sons age and our state being on lockdown. We were planning on a Switch this summer for a vacation that probably won’t happen now. The original game was something I remember my nephews liking and the release caught my eye as I was browsing switch games we could try on eventual purchase. This isn’t something I would ever get or play on my own.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Nighttime is super peaceful in this game. :) Makes me want to Sam Fisher Nook.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Picked up two copies for my boys yesterday. None of us know anything about the game. My older one jumped right in and seemed to like what he saw after an hour of play. My younger one wasn't interested in trying it, he wanted to use his hour on an episode of Naruto.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah logging in at night and sunset in real time is just like outside. It’s pretty awesome. And a whole new slew of content comes out based on seasons, day/night cycles, rain, snow, etc.

You've been playing the shit out of this? I'll consider getting it. I need something to play in bed.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah it sort of lends itself to off and on, with the day/night cycle limiting what you can do(unless you screw with the system settings). Relaxing interlude for me between Grim Dawn and CoD Warzone.

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, my wife has been talking about this non stop. Apparently the first Animal Crossing game was her favorite as a kid, and she keeps seeing stuff on Facebook for this one. Got off work friday night and thought I would be nice and get it for her, she could just play on my switch. Went to Walmart and there were 2 copies... and 1 red/blue switch. Said fuck it and bought it all.

We probably played 15 hours this weekend, just chilling out next to each other on our switches. Shes loving the game, I'm liking it alright. Graphically nice, pretty funny, but not as much to do as something like Stardew Valley. Good enough though. :)

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So, a coworker was talking about this at work, so I read through this thread. I don't mean to be that guy, because I have played (and spent far too much money on) some questionable games, but this sounds just like a mobile game to me. Where you only get to play so much before you have to wait for something to finish, or new content to unlock, etc. Except this one you can't even waste money (like I have plenty) on gems and shit to speed up the process. I don't own a Switch and likely never will, but it is fascinating to me how much this has taken over. I'm sure there is something more to it than the mobile game hook, but it definitely looks like it from the outside.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you really want to speed it up, you can just change the system time on the Switch. Which is free.

I find the real-time aspect of it annoying because half the time I get to play it's past 10pm, and the freaking store will be close. I really have no choice but to fudge the time, and make it a few hours earlier than it actually is.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So, a coworker was talking about this at work, so I read through this thread. I don't mean to be that guy, because I have played (and spent far too much money on) some questionable games, but this sounds just like a mobile game to me. Where you only get to play so much before you have to wait for something to finish, or new content to unlock, etc. Except this one you can't even waste money (like I have plenty) on gems and shit to speed up the process. I don't own a Switch and likely never will, but it is fascinating to me how much this has taken over. I'm sure there is something more to it than the mobile game hook, but it definitely looks like it from the outside.

Where, as you said, mobile games slow down progression as an incentive to buy MTX and speed it back up, this game isn't about doing that.

It's a slow burn meant to be played casually for 1-2 hours a day (If that) or honestly, in the hopes you will continue to play the game with staggered content unlocks in the months/years of time. It's not that bad honestly. I was able to get my new house, get 3 people moved into the area, set up the museum and start on that collection, along with new ways to access the island. Over time events happen that are planned out via the time scale. So it isn't done so frustrate you, but rather always give you something new to look forward too.

If you ever wanted to bypass the time gates you can do that anyhow by adjusting the time/date on your system. But you kind of miss out on the experience that way. (You obviously aren't charged money for advancing the time on your unit) So there is an easy way around that.

But really, it isn't meant to be a game you play the shit out of and then beat it. It's meant to be one of those games you continue to log into time and time again and do some new things, build more, etc.

There is some cool shit here though. If it's sunset outside, it's sunset in the game. Game changes based on the season you are in. Hell, I am not sure if this was just blind luck but when it was raining outside, it was raining in my game too.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally sat down with my kid and played it with some goals in mind, he’s mostly just been wandering around fishing and picking shit up, not really progressing. We paid Tom Nook moving fees off and started selling shit to Timmy. Once my son started seeing all the Bells he was raking in he got all excited.

Found this on my desk a while later.

266DBFB9-217A-4BBF-8958-8F8E67A5E651.jpeg

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users